When to add top up water

Post #1 made 10 years ago
I keep getting a sort of bitter taste with most of my brews and I'm just not sure what it is, so I thought maybe a bigger brew may be the answer.
I mash/brew in a 19ltr SS kettle for a usual 10ltr brew of a basic APA or a Dr Smurto DSJA but I would now like to go bigger to say a 15 ltr brew.
I have read that a 15ltr brew is possible in a 19ltr kettle by doing a mash of say 16 ltr then while that is mashing heat up another 3 ltrs in another pot for a 10 mins rinse/sparge then using that to top up the kettle to the max of 16 ltr for the boil, ( 16 ltr is the limit I set so i can safely boil without boil over )
As I would still be loosing another 4 ltrs or so on the boil when is the right time to add more top up water?
1. Should it be during the boil process (adding Boiling water during the Boil)
2. Should it be after Boil? (adding Boiled water to top up to 16 ltrs allowing for trub)
3. Should it be topped up to 15 ltrs in the fermenter prior to adding yeast

Also is this method a recommended/proper procedure for a bigger brew and will my readings be affected in anyway during the process?..... or has anyone got any ideas I should check for regarding the bitterish taste
Last edited by alanem on 11 Aug 2013, 09:23, edited 2 times in total.
I used to spill more than I drink these days!

Post #2 made 10 years ago
You may find this post a useful read Alanem?? Sweet Liquor Shop
Last edited by mally on 11 Aug 2013, 19:07, edited 2 times in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Al, the basic rule with dilution is to do it as soon as you can. In other words, any time you have room in your kettle, add some water. Post-boil dilutions are the least desirable and should be minimised.

The Sweet Liquor Shop posts mally linked explain how more grain is needed when dilutions are used. The hop bill is also affected. The only 'software' that handles these calculations is the BIABacus. You might need a hand with it on your first recipe. If you do, just post the recipe you want to copy to this thread with some details of your kettle dimensions and someone will help you out.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 11 Aug 2013, 19:41, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Full-Volume Variations - FVV (diluting and/or sparging)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests