Anyone identify this..??

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Evening

I know its a bit of a long shot, but I saw this growing in the hedgerow near a B&B that I stay in - can anyone identify what sort they are from the leaf and the cone or do I need to just pick and hope..??
hops.jpg
There were quite a few, and possibly 2 different types.

Also, when are they classed as ripe..? These didn't feel papery, more waxy at the moment

Cheers

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by peterw on 31 Aug 2013, 05:55, edited 2 times in total.

Post #2 made 10 years ago
joshua wrote:Peter, From the picture the attached leaves are Hop leaves.

If you pull off one of the Cones, Rub it between the palms of you hand, or Pry the cone open.

You should smell a fragrent Hop Amora, and maybe you can Identify it as a hop type from you area/Country.
Thanks Joshua

I was wondering what variety - not sure if the different ones have a differing leaf pattern etc. I think as they are in a hedgerow, identifying them is going to be a challenge !

Cheers

Peter
Last edited by peterw on 31 Aug 2013, 06:51, edited 2 times in total.

Post #3 made 10 years ago
peterw,

A variety, from a picture, of a wild hop? Good luck with that! Just rub it between your fingers and smell it. If it smells good? Use it. Hops are in categories like bittering hop, aroma hop and duel use hop. In reality the choice is up to you. I have been using bittering hops as SMASH beer hop and I (mostly) love it! Good luck with the hop! I hop(e) it works for you?
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Almost impossible to identify hop variety by sight as far as I know. As to when are they ready.....leave them until they feel papery and seem "dry". They will spring back into shape when squeezed (keep checking every few days, you'll see what I mean).

---Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Hops”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests