How to use section Y

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Most sources have extract potential written as PPG (How to Brew) or SG (Beer Smith). How to I translate this into FGDB and MC in Section Y of the Biabicus :scratch: . Id like to use some flaked corn in a brew and plus Id like to learn how to use section Y. Apologies if its already been answered some where else.

Ive read this link and I know I read about FGDB on here before but couldnt find it.

Nosco
Last edited by nosco on 10 Dec 2014, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #2 made 9 years ago
FGDB is the % maximum sugar yield of a specific grain/adjunct on Fine Grind Dry Basis. MC is moisture content.

According to this page, flaked corn has maximum yield of 84%.

Type in 84% for FGDB, and 4 for MC ... and 37.3 will appear in the ppg section. Note the PPG of this adjunct has a range of 33-39 on the HTB link.

HTB doesn't really specify the grind setting to any accuracy, so the calculation falling into range is good enough for me.
Last edited by Rick on 10 Dec 2014, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Thanks Rick.

So FGDB and Max Yeild are basically the same thing. Did you you just change the MC number to get to get it between max and typical ppg?

I am guessing that section Y is more used for sugars and syrups etc. Would it be really necessary to adjust it for flaked corn?

Cheers.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.

Post #4 made 9 years ago
For the small amount I am planning to use (using sugar too) putting the info in section Y made a 1 gram difference to both in section C :lol:

Post #5 made 9 years ago
4% is the default, and I entered that simply to get a FGDAI-ppg result on the spreadsheet.

IME, the defaults have been pretty spot on. 35.49ppg is the BIABacus default ... so yeah this really doesn't need consideration on the homebrew level, really. I still do it for the sake of precision, though. Used to do it for everything, but now just highly fermentable additions like dextrose, turbinado, honey ... stuff like that.

On the homebrew level, the difference is going to be trivial, but it's nice to have the option ... just to see how larger batches might be affected.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Where do you find values for honey or others that aren't on the htb link? Beer smith has a pretty good listing but its in SG

Post #8 made 9 years ago
Thanks for the links.

I should read a little more before I ask questions :blush: :roll: :lol:
Last edited by nosco on 11 Dec 2014, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post #11 made 9 years ago
So if wanted to be really accurate you could test the SG of ingredience and enter it into the biabicus. Thats very cool.

Maybe for really big batches lol

Return to “Grains (Malts), Extracts, Sugars and Adjuncts”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 7 guests