Grain Storage Options

Post #1 made 9 years ago
G'day All,
I am considering methods to store about 75-100kg of various grains, bulk and specialty, at my home.
As I live about 200 km south of Perth, and only have one supplier down here, looking at possibility of becoming a bit more independent on the brew ingredients.
So, love to hear about your methods of storing grain.
I need to store outside under the patio.
Thanks
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #2 made 9 years ago
I also store grains in a less-than-perfect environment. I don't know if they have them down under, but I use a special lid called a Gamma Seal on 5 gallon (19 liter?) buckets. They convert a standard bucket into a water-tight container that is way easier to get in and out of than a pry top lid. Once snapped on, the lid can then be screwed on and off. Two buckets will hold most of a 25 kilo sack of grain.
Last edited by BlackIslandBrew on 12 Nov 2014, 23:39, edited 2 times in total.

Post #3 made 9 years ago
More laborious but I measure out bulk grain into 1Kg aliquots then vacuum seal them.

Vacuum sealers & bags are relatively inexpensive too.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #4 made 9 years ago
BlackIslandBrew wrote:I also store grains in a less-than-perfect environment. I don't know if they have them down under, but I use a special lid called a Gamma Seal on 5 gallon (19 liter?) buckets. They convert a standard bucket into a water-right container that is way easier to get in and our of than a pry top lid. Once snapped on, the lid can then be screwed on and off. Two buckets will hold most of a 55 kilo sack of grain.
I also use the same Gamma lids and buckets as BlackIslandBrew. I would say that 2 5 Gal/19L buckets will hold a 50lb sack of grain, but not quite a 25kg/55lb (not 55kg) sack. However, the lids will also fit on standard 6.5 or 7 Gal fermenting buckets if you can find a deal on them or have any extras. Of course, two of these will easily hold a 25kg sack.

I have a few other storage options as well. I don't know if you could find them in Perth, but the Gamma Vittles Vaults have the same lids and are made for storing dog food. The stackable 60lb version (27.3 kg) will hold a full sack worth of grain. The final and most economical solution I have is a couple of 12 gal food grade plastic drums as shown that I bought on Craigslist. They were used to store dry juice powder (like Kool-aid) and have a sealing band and o-ring so that they are air-tight, which is essential for me in humid Atlanta and probably for you in Perth as well. I'm not sure what your purchasing options are there, but you may look for something similar. You may be able to find some food-grade surplus storage solutions locally as I did. These are great because they hold a full 25kg sack without having to empty it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cwier60 on 27 Aug 2014, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 9 years ago
Thanks for your ideas everybody, cweir60 I like the idea of putting the sack(s) of grain into a single vessel, will start searching, thanks again!

Post #6 made 9 years ago
The final solution .... olive pickling drums, 220L, $20 a piece from Bruce at Waikiki south of Perth, found them on Gumtree.
Can't show you photos of the kids inside the drums cleaning (playing with soap and water) out the remnant olives and brine solution, but they had lots of fun!
I reckon this drum would hold up to 100kg of grain, but I think 75kg would be more manageable getting different grains in and out.
The last photo is of the other drum I bought which I made into a tumbling composter, with bits of an old weatherboard door, and aluminium (that's aluminum for our brothers and sisters stateside ;) ) pole from the kid's trampoline.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Grains (Malts), Extracts, Sugars and Adjuncts”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests