Post #27 made 12 years ago
Sorry for the slow reply Mattfos, I've been away.

I use Nottingham, or at least my version of it, and find the beer comes out really well. I see no reason for Ringwood or any other English yeast turning out a good beer. The beer itself finishes dry, so make sure you have a yeast that will attenuate well and don't mash to high. Keep the mash around 64°C

Cheers
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #30 made 12 years ago
Hashie I've also had a crack at your ESB which I've named 'broken face' in honour of my dog who got a kick from a horse, he's ok, the beer is a bit young but early signs are great.

Post #31 made 12 years ago
I'm brewing this at the moment, 30 minutes to mashout.

Homebrew shop didn't have any northern brewer hops. Fine thinks I to myself, I have 1/2 of what I need - though elderly from long storage, along with plenty of Magnum to boost it.

I thought to myself, I ought to check how they're faring, so chewed a pellet of northern brewer. Barely any kick. Chewed a pellet of Magnum - Kepow :shoot: ! I think I prefer to lick the terminals of 9v batteries.

So, I'm glad that I checked as this would have been less fun to drink if it was waaaaaaaay underhopped. But I don't think I'll be able to taste the difference between a biscuit and a beer coaster for rest of the day.

Post #32 made 12 years ago
In my fermenting fridge now.

Hashie, I love the colour and taste of this wort (yep, my sense of taste eventually came back).

I was lazy with math and having bought a 25kg bag of grain - well, lazy me did 5kg of marris (doing 5 brews) and 600g of crystal. Ended up with 21 litres and 1061 OG.

Your familiar with this drop, whereas I haven't had a speckled hen in years (might let the bottle shop fix that problem with a sampler). In your opinion, should I give this a try with the higher gravity or water it down?

Post #39 made 11 years ago
Thanks hashie, I brewed using your recipe this evening. I'm planning to pitch onto a 1469 West Yorkshire Ale yeastcake. Wort is currently no chilling but I will let you know how OG turns out. I'm saving the 5min hop additions for the primary fermenter.

Post #40 made 11 years ago
I had "Spotted Dick" when I was serving in Vietnam. :blush: The doctors gave me some ointment and it cleaned it up nicely!

Sorry for that! Someone had to say it! Since my advice is dodgy anyway it might as well be me! :lol:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #41 made 11 years ago
Just opened cube of 'polkadotted peacock' and pitched some rinsed wyeast 1469 west yorkshire ale yeast in there. OG in 1.054 and hydrometer sample tasted amazing! Lots of golden syrup character. If finished product tastes anything like the sample I'll be very happy.

Post #46 made 11 years ago
Ok my version is on the left as you look at it, the real thing is in the middle and Dave's is on the right. Our conclusions were that we're not the greatest tasters but we know what we like and we like what we know. Both of us felt that our versions were better than the real thing (possibly the strength helped as real OSH is 5.2% and we'd both hit 5.8%.) We also felt that there was very little to choose between our brews with Dave's perhaps having a longer aftertaste but that we could quite easily drink the other beer without noticing it was different. All in all the conclusion is that both BIAB and 3V makes great beer and as we on this forum not a the UK based one Dave and I frequent often, what really is the need for all that coolbox mashtun nonsense ;)

Hashie - it's a great recipe and I agree if I could only brew one beer for the rest of my life, I'd also choose this.
Last edited by rich27500 on 24 Aug 2012, 05:41, edited 5 times in total.

Post #47 made 11 years ago
Thanks Rich, I'm honoured that you like the recipe so much, thank you :)

Your beer(the left one) looks fantastic, great head and lovely colour. I wonder why Dave's turned out as dark as it did, I wonder if it was the 3v sparge or something like that.

Any way, a great result for beer makers everywhere.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #48 made 11 years ago
Camera angle I think hashie, the beers were almost identical held to the light. Mine had more carbonation and the difference was I used half a teaspoon of golden caster sugar and Dave used coopers carbonation drops.

Post #50 made 9 years ago
Hashie - and indeed all others who use this fine recipe.

What results have you had from varying the recipe?

e.g. Lyals golden syrup vs another brand
danstar Nottingham vs Safale S-04

etc.

My note on Nottingham vs s-04 is that the Nottingham under the same temps in the fridge (16c) went off like a rocket! Rumbled away in the fermentor like my tummy after a dodgy kebab. Has brewed out quite dry compared to the other brews which were all on the s-04.

btw I first commented in this thread in 2012 and I still brew this 3 out of 5 times. A great beer! thanks Hashie

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 22 guests