Russian River Consecration Clone

Post #1 made 4 years ago
Happy New Year's everyone. I'm looking for some help double checking my work on a clone recipe. The kit is from MoreBeer (https://www.morebeer.com/products/kit-a ... llons.html) but lacks any real useful information about the recipe itself. The majority of what I learned was actually in the description of the recipe itself where they quote Vinnie's advice. After some searching around the internet I found an actual recipe with ingredients listed on a BeerSmith forum post (https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe ... tion-clone). Again we don't learn much about critical factors that give a recipe integrity. What I have done is treat it as a guideline and enter amounts into BIABacus as though I am creating my own recipe from scratch. Any thoughts or tips on adjusting my recipe or parameters would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Re: Russian River Consecration Clone

Post #2 made 4 years ago
Again we don't learn much about critical factors that give a recipe integrity.
Despite that lack of integrity, you did a really good job on the BIABacus and. I dare say, it looks like you can run with it. :champ:
Review comments on the recipe at the beersmith site say the same thing about lack of instructions. I guess if it is a limited availability kit they can get away with that. However, one reviewer is going to be disappointed that he cannot buy the kit again and again if it is truly limited. [Stock up now! limit one per customer]

Of course your notes from your brewing this will establish a new level of integrity for the passing on of the recipe.

This is one complicated recipe with a very long time period involved until the final drinking. :drink: I think that the prolonged waiting time will work in your favor, provided you start with good quality ingredients. It will all mellow out and stands a good chance of giving what is promised. I see that your 10.68 gallon kettle will have only 8.84 gallons of mash volume in it. Is there a reason that you didn't increase the VIF by at least a liter to get more product from the same amount of work & time?

If you ever brew this and remember 16 months later to post about the results, it will be interesting. If you also happen to brew a style that can benefit from long-term storage in bottles you might find that the recipes need not be as complicated. I made a ginger porter in December of 2016 and it is much better now than it was earlier, but there's only two bottles left. Old ales also lend themselves to aging. One with raisins from 1 year ago has stabilized, the one with prunes (yes, prunes) continues to get better at 9 months.

Good luck, Tony!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Re: Russian River Consecration Clone

Post #3 made 4 years ago
Thanks for the vote of confidence. It definitely does look like a challenging recipe and will be both my first sour and my first oaked beer. Good catch on the mash volume :clap: , I did intend to maximize the yield so I'll adjust that before I brew it. I do feel like I'm more comfortable with BIABacus after having used it quit a bit since being a member. The one that I haven't come across yet is fermentables in the fermenter and how/whether BIABacus accounts for this in some way. With this recipe it calls for black currants in secondary and from what I've found they contribute around 36 points per pound per gallon (pppg). The original recipe called for 2 lbs/.9 kg so I tossed it in the grain bill section just to get the software to kick out what I should use. Then I moved it to the special instructions section so I wouldn't get confused later on. In the end I guess it, like with all recipes, will come down to whether the brewer enjoys the results or not. Especially since we can't get any Russian River beers on the East coast. I'll probably try some along the way to determine how long any subsequent batches should be aged but in any event will report back here with the results.

Cheers,
Tony
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 15 guests