Indeed Brewing Co. - Day Tripper - Integrity?

Post #1 made 5 years ago
Hey guys,

Found this pale ale recipe on Indeed Brewing Co. website and plan to brew it this weekend. Hoping the recipe can be reviewed for integrity. I've attached the excel spreadsheet as well.

Thanks!

OVERVIEW

Style: Pale Ale
Name: Day Tripper
Yeast: Safale - US-05
Fermentation Temperature: 67 F
Original Gravity: 1.054
Total IBU's: 45
Colour (EBC): 12
Efficiency at End of Boil: 81.5% ???
Mash Length (mins): 60
Boil Length (mins): 90
Your Vessel Type (Pot/Keggle/Urn): Kettle
Source/Credits: https://www.indeedbrewing.com/recipes/d ... rain-batch
Notes/Instructions/Comments:

Volumes etc.

Your Vessel Volume (L or gal): 15.52 gal
Your Vessel Diameter (cm or in): 15.50 in
Water Required (L or gal): 9.20 gal
Mash Temperature (C or F): 150 F
Volume at End of Boil (L or gal): 6.57 gal
Volume into Fermenter (L or gal): 5.42 gal
Brew Length (L or gal):
Total Grain Bill (g or oz): 4990 g

Grains - Colours - Percentages and/or Weight (g or oz)

Grain 1: Briess Pale Malt, 6.895, 50%
Grain 2: Maris Otter, 6.895, 31.8%
Grain 3: White Wheat Malt, 4.925, 6.8%
Grain 4: Briess Caramel 20L, 39.4, 4.5%
Grain 5: Briess Carapils, 2.955, 4.5%
Grain 6: Briess Bonlander Munich Malt, 19.7, 2.3%

Hops - AA% - IBUs - Weight (g or oz) at Minutes

Hop 1: Willamette, 5%, .25 oz @ 90 min
Hop 2: Cascade, 7.5%, 1.5 oz @ 20 min
Hop 3: Cascade, 7.5%, 1.5 oz @ 10 min
Hop 4: Columbus, 15%, .5 oz @ 10 min
Hop 5: Summit, 16%, .5 oz @ 10 min
Hop 6: Cascade, 7.5%, 1.5 oz @ 0 min
Hop 7: Columbus, 15%,1.5 oz @ 0 min
Hop 8: Summit, 16%, 1.5 oz @ 0 min

Adjuncts/Minerals/Finings etc

Adjunct: n/a
Mineral: n/a
Finings: n/a
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Indeed Brewing Co. - Day Tripper - Integrity?

Post #2 made 5 years ago
Hey Nick ;) ,

First up, you haven't told us how your American Rye Brown Ale went. I am very depressed :blush:. (Seriously though, it is important to know how you went otherwise we have no way of knowing whether the hours spent writing have been of value. And, we are talking hours. From memory, I think I spent a few there.)

Just going back to what I wrote in that other thread and exactly the same applies here re the integrity of the recipe so I won't repeat those factors. Two other things I can see immediately though are...

You have 23 litres on the first line of Section D and then 45 IBU's on the second line. Both of those numbers based on the original recipe are guesses and it would take me a while to calculate whether either one of them was a good guess because I'd have to go through a process such as you'll see in the posts starting here. The end result of those hours of writing (I can do it in faster if I'm not explaining how I do it) is just an educated guess because the original recipe lacks essential information.

In Section E you have a mash time of 60 minutes. Check out this thread. In addition to that, if you search for posts written by me that include, "Mash Gravity Figures Needed for BIABacus" in post content, you'll find, eventually :scratch:, the reasoning why a 90 minute mash is favourable.

I'm on a mission to repair my main computer for the next day or two so, that's the best I can do for you now Nick. Should be enough there though for you to study. And, if you really want to get your head around "integrity" of recipes, then it will take study and you'll only find the info to study on this site. I wish it was easier to find but that's where we are at the moment.

And, remember, I want to hear how your American Rye Brown Ale turned out.

:)
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 5 years ago
Hey PP,

Thanks for the response. For the most part, my brew session for the American Rye Brown Ale brew went really well. I wasn't planning to post about it until after I tasted the first bottle which should be in a few days.

Two things occurred which I'm sure in the end, everything will be fine, but when I transferred the wort to the fermenter, my whirlpool had zero time to rest (big thanks to my kids! on this one!), so I literally dumped everything, trub and all, into the fermenter. It all settled pretty well so probably not a huge issue. Second thing that went "wrong" was that my fermenter lid pushed up 2x within 2 days of fermentation, so for the most part visible fermentation was non-existent. No krauzen formed at any point. Not sure if that is ok or common, is that due to the lid issues and CO2 escaping? After three full days, it seemed as though everything was done. Wort was absolutely dead still. Fermentation occurred because my first gravity reading about 5 days in was 1.018, with expected final gravity of 1.014. I left it for a total of 14 days in fermenter and ended up with a final gravity 1.016. We''ll see how it tastes. When I racked it, my sample tastes pretty good. A little alcoholically.

I am happy to provide any results from my brew session. My apologies for my ignorance if this is the proper protocol. Moving forward I will be sure to provide these details after brewing.

This was not a pure BIAB and I did not increase temp to do a a mash-out. Pulled bag and did batch sparge in separate bucket using 1.59 gallons held back. Squeezed the hell out of it.

Efficiency into kettle - 1.052
6.07 gallons in kettle

End of 90 min boil efficiency - 1.057
5.25 gallons in kettle

I took temp readings throughout the mash , but I didn't take gravity readings along with it. In my next brew session, I will plan to take gravity readings with each temp recording.

Regarding the Day Tripper recipe:

I will certainly re-read the feedback you provided on the first recipe. There are some differences with this batch because I have a new kettle which is larger and can now handle a pure biab for 5 gallons . I do not have to hold back any water, like I did with my the brown ale.

You have 23 litres on the first line of Section D and then 45 IBU's on the second line.

1) Yes, 23 liters was a guess and was based on Desired Volume into Fermenter in section Section B. I proceeded to change Desired Volume into Fermenter to 20.5L, and didn't alter first line of section D. Should I not add any figure to this field when filling out biabacus? Or should it match what I add to the Desired Volume into Fermenter in section Section B? Or since I know what the recipe's IBU is, in the first line of Section D, should I add 28L to this field so that it results in the same IBU under "What I will Use" equaling 45?

2) I added 45 IBUs to second line because that is what the recipe indicated. Again, should I not add anything here when completing biabacus? I was under the impression that you add what you want the IBU to be and biabacus makes adjustments for you.

In Section E you have a mash time of 60 minutes.
I had 90 minutes originally, but changed it to 60 for some reason. Probably just confused. As you recommended in your feedback for the brown ales recipe, you changed it from 60 to 90 min.

Please let me know if you need any other details from me about the brown ale or Day Tripper recipe. I'm trying to wrap my hands around proper data input into biabacus and was looking for feedback on my attempt with Day Tripper. I'm all for "studying", and will welcome any guidance/feedback.

Nick

Post #4 made 5 years ago
Just an update on the brown ale. Had a bottle last night and it tasted pretty good. There wasn't a strong aroma thru the nose, but flavor was a decent. If I closed my eyes, tasted like a brown ale. Haha! As mentioned in previous post, there was a taste of alcohol on the back end. Not overpowering, but noticeable. Any idea what causes that? In the mouth it felt sweet, again not overpowering but along the lines of what you might expect with a brown ale. Appearance was very dark brown. Overall on a scale of 1- 10, I would give it a 6. Pretty good for my first BIAB, but the alcohol taste on back end brought that score a notch or two.

I've attached my final biabacus file for the brown ale. Would love some feedback from anyone who can explain the alcohol taste or on my final spread sheet.

Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #5 made 5 years ago
Thanks [mention]uvmnick[/mention] for the below and apologies for the slow response. Busy days :dunno:

Had a quick glance over your posts and all looks good/great. I'll go through them slowly now...

No worries on the transferring everything. Just don't make it a habit. Some people do and, on many styles and systems, it may not cause any problems but, it would not be regarded as best practice as a general rule. (In reality, there are probably some styles that benefit from it? We really don't have enough research at this point in time).

I'm not quite understanding the bit about your fermenter lid pushing up twice so I'm guessing a bit here. I'm guessing your fermenter lid (pail.bucket?) lid popped off. So, again, I'm guessing that you may have had a non-standard air-lock. If so, that is all fine and you wouldn't see krausen but I would think there would be some marks left on the side of the fermenter. Hold on... just reading your BIABAcus...

Nottingham yeast is a wild bastard. That yeast will blow the lid off a lot of brews and finishes very, very quickly. It produces some great beers and, when I find a cheap bomb disposal suit, I am going to give it another go. (Just joking - sort of. I used it years ago and the beer wasn't good but this was due to dodgy kegs, not the Nottingham.) It is definitely one of the most violent yeasts out there so your report is fine.

Don't worry about protocol too much. That's just me whingeing :P. I do love hearing back though as to how things go.

Day Tripper

My brain is running out. Section E comments are all good. Section D is always a hard one. I'll need to run back over prior posts and get back to you on that. It might take me a day or two as I'm running behind on so many things.

While you're waiting though, do an advanced search of posts written by me that contain the words, "Garetz, Tinseth and Rager." That will get you on the right path of understanding the IBU nightmare. I think there is one post I wrote that should contain those words plus "laboratory" and perceived."

Back to you soon, with a bit of luck :smoke:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 39 guests