Belgian Pale Ale. What do experts think?

Post #1 made 6 years ago
Hi guys,

After the summer stop, I go again with my stove-oven or mini-biab brewings.

This season I have bought some new equipment, such as a bigger kettle, with 20 liters and a better thermometer, principally. I have some more different malts and hops and I am planning to do some Belgian beers. I also will be able of doing pure-biab. (I used an 8 liters one)

So, I attach and I ask you to review my Biabacus file. I have adapted a brew from the book Brewing Classic Styles, with some free changes. I want to use some Abbey malt, just to try.
I also have some other suitable hops, like Tettnang or Hallertauer Hersbrucker, but Kent Goldings could be nice, as well.

Well, I am open to make some variations, following the masters' advice. :salute:

Thank you very much. Regards

Juan Angel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Spain

Re: Belgian Pale Ale. What do experts think?

Post #2 made 6 years ago
Juan, I do not know what experts think, but I noticed that your late hops addition says zero grams in the "What you will use" column.

The late addition of Kent Golding hops is supposed to add hop flavor (and perhaps a bit of aroma in the beer), so it could be changed to approximately 5 or 6 gms. Everything else looks OK to me - its a recipe that will make beer suited to your taste.

There is a tricky question about how long your wort with some grams of hops at Flame Out will be at temperatures above 80 ºC since your file indicates using a no-chill cube. Just write it down - the temperature and time - and you will see if it matters in future batches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 6 years ago
Thank you ShorePoint for your answer.

It is clear that I have to add the quantity of grams of the late hop addition. As you said it would be around 6 gr.

About the no-chill method, I usually turn off the fire, add the hops, put the lid and I leave it for 10-15 min before transferring the wort to the cube. I will check the temp and write it.

Hopefully, I will be brewing next weekend or the following one.

:peace:

Post #4 made 6 years ago
I've been lurking in the background because I couldn't figure out why your second hop addition had 0 as the amount of hops to add. It finally hit me that you've input the addition of these flavor hops at 60 minutes, same as your bittering hops. If you change the "Min" of your second hop addition (section D) to 0 the Biabacus fills in with 6.9 grams - just as Shorepoints said. It's always the simple stuff!
Also, is there a reason you've changed your evaporation rate in section X to 2.67L/hour from the default? Likewise the strike water temp adjustment factor? Just curious.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 6 years ago
Hello again,

Streamer, I have changed, as you said, the last addition time. It was an error, for sure. I should have copied the recipe from another template.

Anyway, it is solved. Thank you.

By the way, I did change manually the evaporation rate to 2.67 l/h.
That is because in my previous brewing, with the new kettle I am using at this moment, I got this rate.
I had some problems, just for this reason, as I expected a much bigger evaporation and I finally got a few less gravity points after the boiling. So, I am fermenting a Sierra Nevada APA clone with an OG of 1.046, instead of 1.054. :cry:

I think it will be drinkable, anyway.

Well, thank you all. :thumbs:

Juan Angel

Post #6 made 6 years ago
Hi again,

I did the recipe and it is already in the fermentor. I got 1.050, what is almost the target. I think I still have to drop my evaporation rate a little more.
I guess I am pushing my gas stove to the limits, but I started the boil with 12 liters and I managed a strong enough boiling.

Anyway, I am planning to do a dubbel belgian beer, concretely, the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles, called "Black Scapular Dubbel" and drop it on the yeast cake of the Belgian Pale Ale.
I would like someone to check if I filled the sugar extract potential in section Y properly.
I attach the Biabacus file.

Thank you very much.

Juan Angel

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 20 guests