Brewdog's Citra IPA - IPA

Post #1 made 7 years ago
I plan to brew this on Sunday 22nd. It is based on the recipe from page 55 (65 in PDF) of https://www.brewdog.com/diydog

Edit: New version changes (among other smaller things) the hop schedule (10, 5 and 0), and adds Columbus (75mins) for bittering.

Original post
In the PDF it says it has an IBU of 70, but BIABacus says 32 (also, 70 is what I got from their Chinook IPA, using double the amount of hops, with similar AA%), so what BIABacus says makes more sense to me.

I changed mash and boil times to 90 minutes because thats what I always use. I'm not sure if their "Caramalt" is what I think it is (I picked Briess Caramel Malt 30L, with an EBC of 80, but I'm just guessing here).

The PDF isn't very specific about the hop schedule, so I use 60, 20 and 10.

Thoughts?
[center]BIABacus Pre-Release 1.3T RECIPE REPORT[/center]
[center]BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.[/center]
[center](Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info for the latest version.)[/center]
[center]IPA Citra[/center]

Recipe Overview

Brewer: tizoc
Style: IPA Citra
Source Recipe Link:
ABV: 7.4% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.068
IBU's (Tinseth): 70
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 1.03
Colour: 16.3 EBC = 8.3 SRM

Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 76.5 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 65.6 %

Note: This is a Multi-Step Mash - See 'Mash Steps' Below

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 90 mins at 65 C = 149 F
Boil: 90 min
Ferment: 14 days at 19 C = 66.2 F

Volumes & Gravities
(Note that VAW below is the Volume at Flame-Out (VFO) less shrinkage.)
The, "Clear Brewing Terminology," thread at http://www.biabrewer.info/

Total Water Needed (TWN): 26.6 L = 7.03 G
Volume into Boil (VIB): 23.45 L = 6.2 G @ 1.053
Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 17.5 L = 4.62 G @ 1.068
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 15 L = 3.96 G @ 1.068
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 13.89 L = 3.67 G @ 1.012 assuming apparent attenuation of 82.1 %

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)

Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to http://www.biabrewer.info (needs link)

94.4% Castle Malting Chateau Pilsen (3 EBC = 1.5 SRM) 4957 grams = 10.93 pounds
1.9% Castle Malting Special B (300 EBC = 152.3 SRM) 101 grams = 0.22 pounds
3.7% Castle Malting Chateau Cara Blond (25 EBC = 12.7 SRM) 194 grams = 0.43 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

54.3 IBU Columbus Pellets (16%AA) 26.3 grams = 0.929 ounces at 75 mins
10.1 IBU Citra Pellets (13.5%AA) 16.8 grams = 0.591 ounces at 10 mins
5.6 IBU Citra Pellets (13.5%AA) 16.8 grams = 0.591 ounces at 5 mins
0 IBU Citra Pellets (13.5%AA) 16.8 grams = 0.591 ounces at 0 mins

Mash Steps

Mash Type: Multi-Step Mash - First Step: Saccharifiaction for 90 mins at 65 C = 149 F

Strike Water Needed (SWN): 27.13 L = 7.17 G 65.9 C = 150.6 F
for 5 mins at 172 C = 341.6 F

Miscellaneous Ingredients

Chilling & Hop Management Methods

Hopsock Used: N

Chilling Method: Immersion chiller

Fermentation & Conditioning

Fermentation: Safale US-05 for 14 days at 19 C = 66.2 F

Secondary Used: N
Crash-Chilled: N
Filtered: N
Req. Volumes of CO2: 2.2

Condition for 14 days.

Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tizoc on 16 Jan 2017, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Uruguay

Re: Brewdog's Citra IPA - IPA

Post #2 made 7 years ago
tizoc wrote:[left]I plan to brew this on Sunday 22nd. It is based on the recipe from page 55 (65 in PDF) of https://www.brewdog.com/diydog[/left]

[left]In the PDF it says it has an IBU of 70, but BIABacus says 32 (also, 70 is what I got from their Chinook IPA, using double the amount of hops, with similar AA%), so what BIABacus says makes more sense to me.[/left]

[left]Thoughts?[/left]
The BIABacus should be close to the 70 IBU, but isn't with the 20 L in Section D.  I would remove that entry and enter 70 in the IBU box.  The beer should be at least 70 IBU.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 7 years ago
Thank you!

I don't have enough Citra hops to do what the recipe requires once it has been corrected. In the case I'm not able to find more I may end using some Nugget or Columbus hops at the beginning of the boil then use the Citra hops for the late additions (the result will not be the same but I hope it is good enough).

I will upload an updated BIABacus file once I decide what to do.

Post #4 made 7 years ago
Not really an IPA brewer myself, but have a couple things to add...

For sure do add more hops to the start. Another variety is perfectly fine... As you know you're way low on bitterness for an IPA. 70 IBUs would be a good starting point for an IPA. (EDIT: 2015 Style Guidelines shows 40-70 IBUs, but in USA's Pacific Northwest where I live it seems like IPA is normally at the upper end of the range, if not above.)

And for more Hop flavor - I believe finishing with 10 and 0 minutes would be better than 20 and 10. Or maybe 10, 5, and 0...something like that. 20 minutes adds lots to bittering and not much to flavor. IPAs have lots of "all the above" with Hop bittering, aroma and flavor.
Last edited by Scott on 16 Jan 2017, 08:52, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 7 years ago
Thank you. The effects of late hope additions is something that is still not entirely clear to me, being that everything I have read says something different. Until now my guide was a chart I got from a printout from one of the most well-known local breweries (who happens to have one of the best -- it not the best -- local IPA) says that hop aroma extraction peaks at 7 minutes from the end of boil and flavor at 22. After reading a bit how the oils start to evaporate pretty quickly this doesn't make much sense to me anymore.

I updated the recipe, it now uses Citra for late hop additions (schedule of 10, 5 and 0) and Columbus (I would like to try Magnums but I don't know if I can find those here) for bittering (added at 75 minutes).

Post #6 made 7 years ago
I'm going to try a similar recipe shortly - the low IBU for a deschuttes fresh squeezed IPA like beer at around 60 is at odds with the very high bitterness to gravity ratio of nearly 1.0 - any thought or considerations that I should make?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 7 years ago
I can vouch that Deschutes' Fresh Squeeze IPA is a fabulous beer, for those of us that love hop flavor but do not want an over-the-top bitter IPA. And it's not a New England style either... Somewhere in-between. Fresh Squeeze IPA is my favorite IPA right now.

Link from their Deschutes Brewery's website for homebrewers: https://www.deschutesbrewery.com/beer/f ... /#homebrew

I don't have a definite on what their OG is... OG listed is 1.065 to 1.075 in the homebrewer link, and the 60 IBUs. I would expect their OG to be around 1.065, and FG to be approximately 1.016.

It shows "American Ale" yeast, but Deschutes actually uses one of the British yeasts. If you do some research you should be able to find it. If you go with theirs, want to make sure to do a good starter to make sure it attenuates well.

Hope this helps! Scott
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 38 guests