Post #3 made 8 years ago
Evanspa,
I typically brew on the stove anywhere between 1 - 5 gallons based on the recipe. The ones I am happy with I usually post so just scan my posts. Still consider myself pretty green (1 year brewing), but there are a couple repeats already (RIS, Pale-Blonde). I started with a 5 gallon pot and then went to 8 gallons for a bit more flexibility. I like variety so I brew smaller but more often which also helps with the learning process. One thing I learned from PP is on the smaller brews measurements are less forgiving so take care to measure things out - I picked up a scale pretty cheap off Amazon and also weigh out for volume, see the unit conversion tab on the BIABacus file it has a section called "Volume of liquid in a vessel using weight and specific gravity".
Look forward to hearing about your brews.
Pete
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 8 years ago
Having the BIABacus Section W set for 4 L "water added before the boil" doesn't cost you any loss in quality, just some extra grain. Then after your brew is over and you (we) find ourselves higher in gravity (which is normal), you can choose to dilute up to 15% water to hit your SG.

If diluting, make sure your actuals in Section L and M are correct, before moving onto Section N's "extra water added to fermentor", then Section O will populate.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 8 years ago
Gday Mate
I managed to squeeze 11lt VIF out of my 19lt pot by holding 4 or 5lts of the TWN back from the mash and then hot sparging with that held back volume pre-boil (pulled the bag, sat it in a colander over a separate pot and poured the heated sparge water over it before disposing of the grains and then emptying the contents of the second pot into the boil kettle). There wasn't a lot of free head space left in the pot, about an inch, but still managed to boil the full volume ;-)

Post #8 made 8 years ago
In relation to some of the above, have a read of How much beer can I get from my kettle? That's any knowledge (hopefully a tad of wisdom as well :think:) I have, distilled for your reading pleasure :).

Evanspa, you wrote, "I have another quick Q about the brew Kits, The kit I purchase comes with a beer recipe w/extract. If I halve the kit to make 2.5 gallons, do I split the yeast or pitch the entire packet?"

I can't find any prior talk above on the beer kit sorry. Have you got a link to it or can you describe what it is as kits mean different things to different nationalities. For example, I'm guessing you have something like a "Coopers" kit.
Coopers Kit.jpg
Is that right?

If so, a few things: How are you going to use just halve the can - that stuff is super "gooey"?; How long for and where are you going to store the other half?

Splitting a dried yeast in half poses some problems as well (I wouldn't pitch the whole lot). Firstly you have to split it in half but that is sort of doable (like halving the malt from the tin pictured above). The second problem is storing the dried yeast. James Spencer from Basic Brewing Radio might have some ideas on that so look up small batch brewing podcasts on Basic Brewing Radio and, if no joy, write to him.

I seem to remember that after opening, even if stored in the fridge, you are meant to use the dried yeast within 7 days. I could be wrong on this and, I'm sure that if you stretched it out to two or three weeks, assuming you had it well sealed, that it probably would be fine.

Personally, if possible, I would aim to brew any kit in one hit. Nothing wrong with fermenting in a simple pail.

Anyway, that's enough beer for posts from me today.

:)
PP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 11 Apr 2016, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 16 guests