Please check the hop amounts.

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Please could you check the hop amounts in particular as I have made hop amount errors on my last three BIAB. The EKG are definitely 5.0AA% as stated on the packet.

Also Have I got the following correct:-

I enter the recipes OG in section C. The Fermentable Bill in the BIABacus.

I enter on the BIABacus in section D. The Hop Bill under "Please just set my Desired IBU's (Tinseth) to 38.4 (This figure is taken from the original recipe)

and then I make sure the AA% (taken from the hop packets) are correct.

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
Name: The Old Speckled Hen (clone)
Yeast: Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast
Fermentation Temperature: 16°C
Original Gravity: 1.053
Total IBU's: 38.4
Colour (EBC): 27.5
Efficiency at End of Boil: 81%
Mash Length (mins): 90
Boil Length (mins): 90
Your Vessel Type (Pot/Keggle/Urn): Keggle
Source/Credits: http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=820
Notes/Instructions/Comments: A very malty example of an English Pale Ale, Great drink on a winters night.

Volumes etc.

Your Vessel Volume (L or gal): 47.2 L
Your Vessel Diameter (cm or in): 39.5 cm
Water Required (L or gal): 37.87 L
Mash Temperature (C or F): 64°C
Volume at End of Boil (L or gal): 26.55 L
Volume into Fermenter (L or gal): 23 L
Brew Length (L or gal): 21.3 L
Total Grain Bill (g or oz): 5466 g

Grains - Colours - Percentages and/or Weight (g or oz)

Grain 1: Maris Otter - 5.9 EBC - 89.15% or 4,600 g
Grain 2: Extra Dark Crystal - 236.4 EBC - 10.85% or 560 g

Hops - AA% - IBUs - Weight (g or oz) at Minutes

Hop 1: East Kent Goldings - 5.0AA% - 34 IBUs - 70.3 g at 60 min
Hop 2: East Kent Goldings - 5.0AA% - 3.4 IBUs - 14.1 g at 15 min
Hop 3: East Kent Goldings - 5.0AA% - 1.0 IBUs - 10.5 g at 5 min

Adjuncts/Minerals/Finings etc

Adjunct:Brewing sugar - 454g - 5 min
Salt - 1 teaspoon
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Hi Philip321

Your file looks good. You've definitely sussed out how to use the hop section and those amounts will net you the desired IBU. If you have a higher AA% hop I would recommend using that for your 60min addition instead to reduce the amount of hops needed (hops are expensive!). 60min additions only add to the bitterness, not the flavour or aroma so you could use any high AA% hop. I would also increase your late additions to match the original recipe as the late additions add hop flavour and aroma. I have attached your BIABacus file with the suggested changes.

In section C you only need to enter the original OG. The desired OG is there for when you what to scale the recipe up or down. I also added the brewing sugar in this section as section N didn't take it into account when calculating the grain bill. Have never brewed with brewing sugar before so maybe one of the more experienced members can comment if this is correct or not?

You have some information entered into section L which leads me to believe you have already brewed this? If so how did it go? Looks like a good recipe and the colour will turn out beautiful!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 8 years ago
Philip I havent checked through your file, however, there is a Speckled Hen clone in the recipe section here.
Maybe have a look through that too?
Last edited by mally on 14 Oct 2015, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #6 made 8 years ago
Thank you Rickoles for altering my BIABacus. I will definitely use your version the next time I do a speckled hen.
I've now brewed three batches and got the hops wrong on every one. Fortunately some had to much hops and others not enough so mixing them from pint glass to pint glass does the trick. In fact they are quite good.

The colour of the Speckled hen is beautiful.

I had previously reharvested the Yeast and made a yeast starter and it fermented like a rocket sled on rails. It was all over and done with in about three days. I did just stir it gently and let it carry on for another two days just in case.
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8 made 8 years ago
Hi Philip321

I'm glad to hear it went well and you're enjoying your brew! If you are counting this recipe as one that you "got the hops wrong" I wouldn't if I were you. The recipe you brewed is very good and I have no doubt it tastes awesome. The suggestions I made are just that, suggestions. With every brew you create you will come up with ways of tweaking it to your tastes to try better the last - In my opinion that best part of the craft and you learn a lot from it!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you brew next.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 17 guests