Post #51 made 7 years ago
Thanks guys :thumbs:,

My off-sider drank the bloody hydrometer sample I meant to leave beside the fermenter! I'm not going to thieve another one so just started to cold-crash it last night. Under pressure atm to get 8 beers into kegs and carbonated before Sunday so lots of juggling going on :).

No fruit in this beer goul or any more of mine ever!!!!! My fruit-loving co-brewer is arriving in your town next week :).
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Re: Saison receipe

Post #52 made 6 years ago
My home brew club offered to provide Saison yeast to those of us interested in brewing a 5 gallon batch. It is not my favorite style of beer, but free yeast was enticing enough to inspire me to try brewing one. Months later, at a club meeting, mine got second place. I know you skeptics will ask, "How many entries were there, two?" No, there were 12.
This recipe affords a beer that does not have much farmhouse funk at all. The aroma and the taste are different from one another, but in a good way. It is probably due to the rye.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #53 made 6 years ago
Thanks for posting this SP. I can't imagine that anyone here would think that there were only 2 beers submitted :nup:

Question, how did you dry hop? In primary, in secondary, for how long? Whatever your method, is it your standard method for dry hopping?

Thanks
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #54 made 6 years ago
Streamer - I stink at dry hopping. :idiot:

For the Saison, I used hopsocks made of voile, same as the BIAB bag, but smaller. They were only in the secondary fermenter with 40 gms each of Amarillo and Simcoe on [bottling day minus 5 days], then 10 gms each again on [bottling day minus 3 days]. The bag capacity was about 3 liters in volume, not packed tightly with expanded pellets. On removal for packaging day, I did let the bag drain back into the beer and compressed it a bit.

I have also tried paint strainer bags and found too much stuff in the way of particulates from the hops gets through and causes more loss on bottling day (FPL). I have added sanitized marbles to sink the bags (wired shut with twisted sanitized copper wire). Make tight, closed, little loops of the wire ends so they do not snag anything. Cold crashing can help when needed.

Low aromas are a consistent shortcoming of my beers. Is it due to the airlock on the 2º fermenter letting aromas out? Is it due to an insufficient or too long amount of time? Is it temperature related? Is it the hops (always pellets) themselves? More hops needed? I have work to do.

P.S, Simcoe was not a problem in this batch, but I have been told that it can impart an unfavorable flavor described as something to do with cats.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 26 guests