Original Gravity:1.041
Total IBU's:24
Colour (EBC):8
Efficiency at End of Boil:86%
Mash Length (mins):90
Boil Length (mins):90
Your Vessel Type (Pot/Keggle/Urn): Urn
Source/Credits:
Notes/Instructions/Comments: I was trying to make an easy drinking beer that the missus would like (she had been saying that my beers were getting too hoppy) and also have a go at making a lager at lager temperatures. I was aiming for a FG of 1.010 but got 1.007 so it tastes a bit dry but sooo drinkable. ;) Might knock the melanoidin down a little next time as it seemed to come through quite a bit.

Your Vessel Volume (L or gal):30L
Mash Temperature (C or F):65C
Volume at End of Boil (L or gal):25L
Volume into Fermenter (L or gal):20L

Total Grain Bill (g or oz):3700g

Grains - Colours - Percentages and/or Weight (g or oz)

Grain 1: Pilsner - 3.5EBC - 3400g - 92%
Grain 2: wheat malt - 3EBC - 200g - 5%
Grain 3: melanoidin - 70EBC - 100g - 3%

Hops - AA% - IBUs - Weight (g or oz) at Minutes

Hop 1: northern brewer - 7.5% - 24IBU - 30g - 90mins
Hop 2: hallertau mittelfruh - 2.5% - 0.6IBU - 12g - 5mins

Adjuncts/Minerals/Finings etc

Adjunct:
Mineral:
Finings:

Post #2 made 10 years ago
Looks like a nice beer Dick, would like to see a photo if you have one, bet it is a sweet looking beer.

I love Melanoidin, and I am about to brew a Munich Dunkel, in which I love to add some to the Munich for some extra maltiness.

Its a bit too cold for me to be drinking lagers, but come Summertime....

Matt

Post #3 made 10 years ago
crundle wrote:Looks like a nice beer Dick, would like to see a photo if you have one, bet it is a sweet looking beer.

I love Melanoidin, and I am about to brew a Munich Dunkel, in which I love to add some to the Munich for some extra maltiness.

Its a bit too cold for me to be drinking lagers, but come Summertime....

Matt
G'day Matt

Never too cold for a nice lager. Here's a photo as requested. It sure is one sweet beer. I ration this beer out now because there's only a couple left. Behind it is the APA that I was getting into.
I will brew version 2 next weekend. This time I am doing a different approach for the hops. At the last homebrew club meeting we have a talk about schwartzbier and I was told about using a 60, 40, 20 hopping schedule for german beers. You add hops at 60, 40 and 20 minutes, using the same amount at each addition and just working out how much to use by the target IBU. So I will use Hallertau Tradition and add 18g at 60, 40 and 20 to get 25IBU. I also changed the 100g of melanoidin to 50g of Caramunich 2. Let's see how it goes.
:D

Cheers
Dick
Last edited by dick on 14 Jun 2010, 19:41, edited 9 times in total.

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Thanks for supplying the recipe dick. Nice pic - crystal clear!

I know what you mean about the rationing. 11 months ago I brewed a Munich Helles/Pilsner recipe I stole from a mate over here. He gave me 6 bottles a few years back and I drank them slowly over a period of 9 months. All the bottles were nice but the last one was spectacular - the best beer I have ever tasted. So I brewed it with the intention of enjoying it after 9 months. Occasionally, I filled a few bottles from the keg to take somewhere and taste and to see if it had done its "magical" turn yet. About 4 months ago I lifted the keg to check how much was left in it as the Royal Perth Beer Show was coming up. The damn thing was almost empty!

I managed to get the 2 lts required out of it but only got two mouthfuls for myself. The first was run-off from the line that had been sitting there for four months. Not great :(. The second tasted a lot better but I couldn't really taste it properly after that first mouthful. Going to have another taste on Saturday so if it is any good I can really enjoy it.

A little bit out of a keg now and then seems to add up to a lot :roll:. Mum always told me it was good to share but now I am not so sure ;).
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Hi Dick,

Finally getting around to doing this brew this weekend. We are having a little 'festival' this weekend with all the home and micro brewers in town and then will spend Sat or Sun afternoon doing my first AG brew! Can't wait :)

I have a question about the grains. In your recipe you have a total grain bill of 3.7kg (3.4kg Pilsner, 0.2kg Wheat and 0.1kg Melanoidin). In the recipe you suggested for me you gave a total of 4.2kg (4kg Pale and 0.2kg Crystal). Was just wondering why the difference? Also, I have some Melanoidin Malt so keen to use it. Can I add 0.1kg or so?

Otherwise it's all pretty clear and I can't wait!

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests