Kettle question

Post #1 made 9 years ago
I've been looking for a kettle for a while and just stumbled upon this http://www.ebay.com/itm/261464116408 Jarhill pot. My biggest concern is thickness. Should I care that it's only 0.95 mm? I plan on doing batches that are 5.5 US gal into fermenter with the occasional big beer. There are slightly smaller ones that I may go with instead (50l).

And I'm not married to this vendor: shipping is outrageous. I know I can get an Al pot shipped for a bit less.

So, bottom line: thickness concerns and minimum suggested thickness of Al and SS pots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by gmhowell on 19 Jun 2014, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
-George
"I ride for the same reason dogs stick their heads out of car windows."

Post #2 made 9 years ago
How will you be heating it gmhowell?

The wall thickness wouldnt bother me too much apart from maybe 1) warping and 2) heat loss.

I would imagine it could possibly distort especially if moved around with liquid in it, and thinner walls may mean better insulation required.
On the positive side though, it is cheap, so is almost "disposable", and thinner walls may mean quicker to get the wort temp up?
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Kettle question

Post #4 made 9 years ago
It will be gas fired.

After posting, I saw some references to the brand at homebrew talk. For the price, most seemed happy.

As I don't yet have a burner (the one I found in the garage just doesn't have enough output) I'm not sure if additional support would be necessary.

Why do you find the vertical seam such a concern? Leakage? I admit I noticed it and was slightly put off, but that is just a visceral reaction with nothing to back it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-George
"I ride for the same reason dogs stick their heads out of car windows."

Post #5 made 9 years ago
I see it as a very large potential failure point. Leakage would be the least of my concerns. Suddenly bursting open during a boil would be my concern. I value peace of mind and safety over saving a few dollars.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Gas-Fired BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 7 guests