Recirculating and boiling.

Post #1 made 11 years ago
I have been out of BIAB for a couple of years due to ill health, but I feel the time will be ripe after Xmas to start again.

Just before I stopped I began recirculatingmy 70l pot with a small pump during mash to even out the temperature and it worked great and I was amazed how clear I could get the wort. For the boil I always let my hops "swim free" . I have been reading about using a grain bag (as opposed to a hop sock) to reduce trub. Now if I kept recirculating into this grain bag during the boil this would then catch the hot break, and extrapolating from that if I used an immersion heater to chill the batch, I could continue recirculating until the cold break was captured.

Is this logical, or just the rantings of a disturbed and beer less mind :)

Cheers
Steve

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Good Day,
"HIAB" Hopping-In-A-Bag, seems to be a great way to catch hot break and cold break, and All the hop crap.

If you can recirculate thru the bag it might be Great too.\

And, if you IC and it fits the bag.....Well Done!!!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 11 years ago
sjcampbell wrote:Is this logical, or just the rantings of a disturbed and beer less mind :)
:lol:

Sounds perfectly logical to me Steve.

I'm wondering though if you still have your pump etc?...

What I'm thinking though is will the pump (and the added maintenance/cleaning/infection risk) be a plus or a minus. Crusty here had a $4,000 rig and changed to BIAB. One of the things I remember him writing was that he was unsure that maintaining a perfect mash temp was that great. He definitely thinks he is getting better quality now with less 'tech' which is always interesting to note.

On the trub side, there is some debate as to whether a cloudy wort is good or bad. There would be links to this somewhere here but can't remember how to find them. So, it might be possible that all this work to create a clear wort is actually not beneficial. More questions!!!

Personally, I don't know the answer but I do know that there seems to be no common ground amongst brewers who win medals. Some fuss about everything and others do nothing :lol:. I suspect the most important thing is the recipe including hop timing and management.

So, if you couldn't be bothered plumbing up the pump again, maybe take it easy for a few brews and see what happens with less tech. Could be worth a try :dunno:.

Is this logical, or just the rantings of a disturbed mind?

:lol:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 27 Nov 2012, 22:00, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 11 years ago
ive just done my 1st brew,
and i recirculated a fair bit of wort through the boiler tap with a 2litre jug,
and thru the grain to balance the temp, during the mash out.

then during the boil, with the [emptied] bag back in to hold the hops

tbh ..
none of the hot break /trub was caught in the bag... :dunno:
it was in the bottom of the boiler but was like a very thin cloud.. :think:

but it seemed a good way to ensure the tap was cleaned and sterile passing all that boiling wort though it for over an hour .. :thumbs:

Post #6 made 11 years ago
Got to race Steve so I'll try and be quick which is very hard for me :lol:.

I have two 70 L pots and use a three-ring burner on one and an Italian Spiral burner on the other. The Italian Spiral only slightly out-performs the three-ring. Both are great for even doing double-batches - in my case, this means I'm starting the boil with over 60 litres.

Here's what I have done with my three-ring...

1. Adjustable reg.

2. After first two brews, cleaned out all the holes with a drill. THis was 7 years ago now and I have never had to repeat it. I think the paint and other bits of debris gets caught in the holes on the first few brews. Who knows?

3. I have a stand. In other words, I don't sit the kettle directly on the 3 ring burner. My stand is 150mm high. My burner nozzle openings are at 55mm so my kettle sits 95mm above the burner nozzles. (If I just sat the kettle on the burner, there would only be 35mm between the nozzle openings and the base of the kettle. I found this to be too low.)

That's me being quick ;),
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 11 years ago
i guess this may be a slightly off topic question; but as mixing of liquid to even temperatures out has been mentioned. Is there a problem with grabbing the neck of the bag and lifting & dunking it up and down repeatedly a problem?
It's something that i do, but have never thought of it as being detrimental, and it mixes up the mash quite well. :scratch:
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8 made 11 years ago
Mally, this shouldn't be a problem other than,you may be compacting the grain inside the bag and not getting full contact with the wort. This could impact the effectiveness of the mash out.
AWOL

Post #10 made 11 years ago
Good Day, This may be Stoopid(stupid), but, I have a Stainlees steel ball bearing at the bottom of the bag, and a Polyester string tied around it with the bag attached.

When ever I want to mix the grains/mix the water temperature, I pull the string up until the grains become uncovered, and let the bag drop back down. It has worked better than a spoon.

Update, the string goes thru a pulley and into the room with the TV I watch, and I pull it from there. Yes, I am one LAZY SOB. and maybe Stoopid(stupid)too.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #11 made 11 years ago
joshua wrote:Good Day, This may be Stoopid(stupid), but, I have a Stainlees steel ball bearing at the bottom of the bag, and a Polyester string tied around it with the bag attached.

When ever I want to mix the grains/mix the water temperature, I pull the string up until the grains become uncovered, and let the bag drop back down. It has worked better than a spoon.

Update, the string goes thru a pulley and into the room with the TV I watch, and I pull it from there. Yes, I am one LAZY SOB. and maybe Stoopid(stupid)too.

that seems a good idea....

with the pulling thing i could attach it to the dogs tail... :think:

must admit i love to stir the grains ... :yum:
Last edited by uk brewer on 29 Nov 2012, 18:42, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Gas-Fired BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 6 guests