Beersmith BIAB Podcast

Post #1 made 13 years ago
Brad Smith from Beersmith recently interviewed Pat from BIABrewer.info and has just published the podcast here.

Please feel free to let us know your thoughts on the podcast.

Thankyou and happy brewing,
Bhagwan (on behalf of the BIABrewer.info Moderating Team)
Last edited by Bhagwan on 25 Feb 2011, 17:43, edited 5 times in total.

Post #2 made 13 years ago
thanks for the heads up.
i haven't heard of that podcast. i'll check it out.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #4 made 13 years ago
Pat,
This was the best review of the BIAB concept ever! (until I do it) Well done. You have done a great service towards legitimizing The rouge practice of Brew in A Bag! However I was quite disappointed that you hired some professional model for the picture on the BeerSmith website http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2011/02/2 ... odcast-10/ Other than that you have done a great job. Good on you! Have a great day and tell that young kid to get a real job he will never make it as a model!
Last edited by BobBrews on 26 Feb 2011, 02:17, edited 5 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8 made 13 years ago
Just listened to the podcast, Great job Pat.
question: shouldn't have been mentioned that BIABers should expect more trub material at the end of the boil?
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #9 made 13 years ago
Thanks very much for the replies above. You taking the time to listen to the podcast is very much appreciated. It was a real pleasure to be interviewed by Brad as he is a very friendly guy, down to earth, loves brewing and pumps out quality information at such a tremendous rate I have absolutely no idea how he manages to do it. It is very worthwhile subscribing to his newsletter and you can do so here. Beersmith is an excellent, "info," site. (When I get some time, I'll ask Brad to update the BIAB information there so it is completely up to date.)

My chat with Brad lasted about an hour and a half and 3/4s of an hour was spent on the interview so a few edits had to be made and they were done very well. The only edited bit that needs to be passed on here is my thanks to all the brewers who helped get BIAB off the ground and to the new members who stream in here every day with such enthusiasm. It is a real pleasure to be a part of this community.

BobBrews, I didn't have a picture so we stole one of PP's who looks very similiar :lol: and who also provided some notes to help with the interview along with NME, hashie, wiz and jimmysuperlative who I often ask for help on things like this. Any credit on the bits I got right should definitely go to them.

As for more trub at the end of the boil shib, I would have been unable to answer such a question. I have done several side by side BIAB / batch-sparge brews and have noticed no trub difference at the end of the boil. My BIABs sometimes have a lot of trub and sometimes very little so I really have no answer here and until we did, say ten, side by side brews using perhaps two different porosity bags, I would be very suspicious of anyone offering a definitive answer. As mentioned in the podcast, BIABrewers have always gone out of their way to be honest about BIAB even to the extent of trying to predict possible faults. So far, none of these predictions have turned out to be correct. I suspect that more trub at the end of the boil might be another false prediction but at this stage, I personally really don't know.

Thanks again to Brad for all his quality work, enthusiasm and dedication to the brewing community and to all of you brewers who bring those same qualities here that create and constantly enable this excellent and most enjoyable, international community.

Great job :salute: ,
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 28 Feb 2011, 19:36, edited 5 times in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #10 made 13 years ago
Great interview Pat, It was a joy to listen to. :salute:

Can I suggest moving this thread to, or posting a link in the Master Guide of BIAB Brewing so that it will be easier to find by people new to the forum.

:peace: Y
Last edited by Yeasty on 06 Mar 2011, 09:26, edited 5 times in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #11 made 13 years ago
Glad to hear it made some sense Yeasty :).

For now, I have moved this topic from the, "General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles," forum to, "Important Notices." I have also placed a link to this thread in, The Basics of BIAB so there is some presence in, 'The Master Guide.' Hope this is okay.

Thanks again Yeasty,
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 06 Mar 2011, 19:31, edited 5 times in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #13 made 13 years ago
g,day all,my first post,i have just finished listening to the beersmith podcast,check the site out and signed up.
sounds like biab is the way to go.cheers...spog...

Post #14 made 12 years ago
I found some time and listened to this last night. Great work Pat. It came across as honest and well prepared. I like your closing thoughts on keeping it simple as well. Very true.

Post #16 made 11 years ago
"Passive sparging" is a term Pat made up to start fights with the 3V brewers :P.

---Todd
Last edited by thughes on 05 Dec 2012, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Important Notices”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 3 guests