BIAB Legacy Podcast - Basic Brewing Radio

Post #1 made 10 years ago
ADMIN NOTE: Copied to Important Notices forum on 28th September, 2014.

April 24, 2014 - BIAB Legacy

Brew in a Bag pioneer Pat Hollingdale talks about the legacy of the technique and the myths surrounding it. :thumbs:

Basic Brewing Radio
Streaming MP3 of the Podcast

Great Job PP :shoot:
Last edited by BobBrews on 24 Apr 2014, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Great show guys, nice to hear James suggesting that it could be a regular thing. Well worth losing an hours kip for :clap:
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #6 made 10 years ago
WOW ! Thanks Bob and Pat ! That was very insightful , BUT , I guess I need a new washing machine . :party: :party: Honestly it was a good show !!

Post #7 made 10 years ago
just listened. Great job guys! :thumbs:

I am happy to see that both the "Don't confuse EIK and EBV" and the "I'll just throw these grains in the bag" schools of brewing have a place here :lol: .
Last edited by shibolet on 24 Apr 2014, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #8 made 10 years ago
All,

I wasn't totally drunk! :drink: I just tried to find my notes and I got lost. :blush: I apologize if I set back the BIAB community. Pat saved the day because he talks like he writes! Good job again PP :shoot:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #9 made 10 years ago
Funny Bob.. It was a great interview. I think I posted yesterday about it.. somewhere on this forum.

I think Pistol Pat now has me convinced to forget sparging :D
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Post #10 made 10 years ago
Bob, that title is definitely over-gracious. Loved doing the podcast with you and James. Hopefully I didn't talk too much.

Many thanks to you members above who have taken the time to listen and comment already.
Yeasty wrote::lol: :lol: you kept that quiet.
Bob and I only had about 36 hours notice ourselves :o. It was 9am Bob's time so his bar was open but that did not set the BIAB community back at all! It certainly makes a podcast a lot more interesting and enjoyable with Bob than just listening to me drone on. Btw, where did that hiccoughy laugh and strange chuckle of mine come from :?.
HbgBill wrote:Funny Bob.. It was a great interview. I think Pistol Pat now has me convinced to forget sparging :D
Excellent! And, it looks like the Pat is out of the bag :)*.

Bill I think it was you that made a really nice Facebook post here. It looks like we have six comments there already which exceeds most other shows.

If any one else wants to post there, that would be excellent. In the podcast, we mention the importance of using clear terminology. If possible, can someone link the Clear Brewing Terminology thread on the Basic Brewing Radio Facebook page?

The Pat is Out of the Bag

As many of you will have guessed, I usually post here as PistolPatch. This takes up a lot of time but provides most of the thought for how I want to see the site structured to allow users to find quality quickly. We are now at the stage where I believe I can structure the site to do this and this will relieve you all of reading my stuff over and over and of course will save me many hours per week writing personalised answers.

Incidentally, I was with Simon (NME/admin) the other day and we were able to estimate that I have written over two million words on brewing here and elsewhere. That's 31 average size novels :shock:. It's time we distilled that.

There are many things to do here. Besides setting up fast, intuitive navigation of the forum, if Bob agrees, I would like to do a series of three minute videos on the BIABacus. Getting the BIABacus coded is just one more priority.

What You Can Do...

If someone asks a question on the board and you feel as though you can only answer one part of it, please do that. Or, if someone makes a new first post, welcome them. Every time you do that, it saves me or other senior members time.

Apart from time, I also have spent a lot of what they call opportunity cost on the site. In other words, I have deliberately taken time off my livelihood many times to spend on this site. That's many thousands of dollars. Yes, I must be mad! But,. not that mad. I simply can't afford to continue to put so much time and money into the site. In fact,...

Since the site began, we have had less than a thousand dollars of donations and all this I have handed on to others or has been spent on forum expenses. The other day, I asked Simon to change the top right corner of the forum. This alone, to set up took about five hours. What I am hoping is that many people will take the minute to contribute $5 to the forum as there is so much to get done here.

Make Others Aware of the Situation

If you notice someone being given a lot of attention and time and they are still not a Donor or an Enthusiast, maybe send them a PM and ask them to read this post. It's quite possible that many members here just assume that because of the personal attention they get, the site must earn a fortune and/or that the posts written to them must only take a few minutes whereas they sometimes take a few hours.

I certainly have no regrets on the time/money I have spent to date. The community here has been fantastic. We've had a couple of people pinch/say stuff for their own personal gain (one cost me a few thousand dollars in lost work - nice) but they pale into insignificance. I'm sure everyone agrees we have the nicest of forums here. But, obviously, making the culture here sustainable is from now on going to be increasingly up to existing members.

I have a fair bit more to do off-forum now so I better sign off. Hopefully the above reads okay and once again thanks to Bob, James and all of you most supportive members.

:salute:
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 25 Apr 2014, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #11 made 10 years ago
re Donations.. I didn't know about that.. but... BAM.. Done! :)

re 3 minute videos.. PP.. I am a visual/auditory learner. I have been very poor at learning by reading. Show me how to do something and I can pick it up. May seem strange, but a lot of people are like that. A few years ago, I bought Beersmith. I struggled with it big time. Brian even had some videos on YouTube. I still struggles. Back then, the videos were VERY poor. He has since, I understand, made much better videos. I haven't checked them out because I've found BIAB and Beersmith has faded into the background.

Thanks for all the time you spend with us. I appreciate that you foster encouragement to find the answers ourselves with guidance. I'm sure, as I become more proficient with BIABacus I'll ask fewer questions.. but, then it falls back to how I learn.. not because I'm too lazy to search out the answers. Is it possible to default as a tired O L D f@rt?? :D

[ADMINNOTE: Bill did a very generous $25 donation. This means he should be an Enthusiast. Bill, we need some more colour in the forum so forgive us if we keep you as a Donor for seven days. Thanks so much for your contributions both financial and post-wise. Please do lots of posts in the next week so as people can ask why you are so colourful.]
Last edited by HbgBill on 25 Apr 2014, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Post #12 made 10 years ago
Good plan Bill, To keep the ball rolling I'm in too. I certainly appreciate all the advice and effort taken by Pat and the guys who run the site.

My donation wont make them rich but if it helps keep things running here then worth every cent.

PS: Great interview guys. Well worth a listen
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #14 made 10 years ago
I'm still embarrassed at the title of this thread [MODNOTE: Now edited from the original, "PistolPatch wows the Brewing World."]but hopefully everyone either knows or will get to know the generous/humorous culture of the forum.

How was Bob's garage door idea and his serendipity (something like that) comment? :). Mind you, there was also a serious side to his flight. (I think? - lol.)

I need to get to work (on stuff here) so as fast as I can...

Good News - More visual help coming.

I won't say how many hours, over several weeks, it took both myself and Simon but Simon came up with the final answer yesterday. We now have a way where we'll be able to work with dynamic pictures to have new and old members of the site being able to find their way to relevant information rapidly. The release of the BIABacus will give you the first glimpse of that.

Donations

1.Seven donations have come in and most were $25 and all were $10 or more but I am leaving the $25 brewers in pink for a week or so to hopefully encourage other members to just go the $5.

2. Brewers who have donated $25 or more, please don't do so again. You have done your bit.

BIABrewer Videos.

We'll get some of these out, hopefully sooner rather than later. It's a shame to see some great videos out there called BIAB but they have some critical errors in then such as boiling with the lid on. The rest of these videos is often perfect. What a shame.

Anyway, Bob is a video expert so I'll try and rope him into this side of things.

;)
Pat

And thank you so much to those of you who acted on the following from my last post.
What You Can Do...

If someone asks a question on the board and you feel as though you can only answer one part of it, please do that. Or, if someone makes a new first post, welcome them. Every time you do that, it saves me or other senior members time.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 28 Apr 2014, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #15 made 10 years ago
Yeah Pat, I hear you. I have made a big deal about doing a video over the last couple of years. I have hours of video already recorded and I need to get back to it. Sorry for the delay. No matter how it comes out I know you will want a few corrections. So I want to get it right the first time! Please wait! I will get back at it shortly.

Also, You did a awesome job on the podcast. Seriously. I was only there as a go between for you and James. I didn't expect to say anything. In fact I really wasn't listening most of the time because (curiously) I felt a urge to wash my bluejeans? Weird?

You really fooled the listeners (and me) because you really sounded like you knew what you were talking about! The long hours of hard work and research have paid off!

I want to publicly thank you again for the selfless hours you donate to this site and BIABacus in particular. The money you have lost (not working at your real job) the hobbies and adventures not enjoyed because of answering countless questions. Reading "every question" to make sure it's answered (and correctly) in short order! Being mostly men on this site we normally don't take the time to say the things we should but I will!

Thanks Pat, for your time and dedication to our site!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #16 made 10 years ago
Pat is solid as a ROCK !!!

Let's keep this thread going to give Pat praises. He has been/is very generous with his time and his knowledge base.

He helped me when I was a newbie with the BIABacus. I am proud to be associated with Pat.

:peace:

MS

Post #17 made 10 years ago
BB said it better than I could

"I want to publicly thank you again for the selfless hours you donate to this site and BIABacus in particular. The money you have lost (not working at your real job) the hobbies and adventures not enjoyed because of answering countless questions. Reading "every question" to make sure it's answered (and correctly) in short order! Being mostly men on this site we normally don't take the time to say the things we should but I will!"

Ditto,

Thank you Pat / Bob, you have REALLY helped so much in making this hobby enjoyable rather than scarey
Last edited by Yettiman on 02 May 2014, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #18 made 10 years ago
I still haven't been able to listen to all of this, as I got 20m in before something came up. Busy times, but this is pretty great!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #19 made 10 years ago
Rick,

PistolPatch was great (as I expected) when I hooked them up. I was just there as a ploy to attract female brewers. I am sure it worked! (as always)! Please disregard any stupid stuff I said because I was washing my jeans while listening to PP. I cannot do two things at the same time. (actually I fell asleep at the keyboard)!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #20 made 10 years ago
Definitely a great listen, very informative. I posted a link to it over on the canadianhomebrewers forum I also frequent, hopefully a few people over there will give it a listen too!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #21 made 10 years ago
Finally found time to listen and thoroughly enjoyed the podcast. It's good to put a voice to all the writing. I expect a surge in brewers joining the forum now that the word is out and properly explained.

I'd also like to thank Pat for the exceptional dedication he has put into developing "our way of brewing" and pointing us all in the right direction. And not forgetting Bob (who is currently second highest poster!) for his invaluable input.

Good job fellas! :clap:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #22 made 10 years ago
Great show Pat and Bob. I think James Spencer hosts a good show and is always open to using different methods to produce beer. I'd love to hear Jon Palmer and JZ on the Brewing Network having a go at BIAB!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #23 made 10 years ago
BobBrews wrote:You really fooled the listeners (and me) because you really sounded like you knew what you were talking about!
You fooled them as well Bob. They all thought you were drunk but I knew you were sober :peace:.

Good on us - the chameleons! :lol:

Thanks/apologies

I meant to reply a lot earlier here to say thanks so much to Bob and you others who took the time to write such nice things above. What is written above certainly makes a real difference to me.

There have also been some new members, maybe four of them that became donors straight after their firs post. Two became Enthiusiasts and I have written to them. The people that make this forum are generous people.

Getting a little frustrated.

I think I better sign off now. I'm not sure that anyone realises how complicated it is it make all this brewing stuff simple. I need to do re-do a whole series of pictures now because I forgot one thing in the first picture. Every subdidiary picture in that thread has to be re-done and re-posted now.

The main reason I am frustrated though is that I don't have time to thank the many of you that should be thanked.

The best donations any one can make here though are to take care. Take care in how you ask and answer questions. BIABewer.info is a site of brewers who nearly always do take care and think.

Gotta go but thank you very much,
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 01 May 2014, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #24 made 10 years ago
Pat,
Take care in how you ask and answer questions. BIABewer.info is a site of brewers who nearly always do take care and think.
If I have to start thinking? "I am out'ta here!" I ahve gotton alung withou tinking 4 menny years. Y ssart N0w? :lol:

P.S. I meant what I said about all the hard work your doing for the site Pat. :love: Don't get a swelled head over it! But, as a group, men find things like that hard to say. Beside, The more you do, the less I have to do! Maybe I am good at math after all? :think:
Last edited by BobBrews on 02 May 2014, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #25 made 10 years ago
Pat, honestly, you are well appreciated around here wether you believe it or not ! :thumbs: :thumbs: I have become a much better brewer because of you and Bob. I look forward to your posts when I can get on the site. The cheque will be in the mail as soon as I finish the a/c in the wife's car. :lol: :lol: (really did have to replace the compressor tonight.) Happy wife = OH never mind. :headhit: :headhit:

Return to “Important Notices”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 20 guests