R.I.P. Pistol Patch. Cheers to You

Post #1 made 3 years ago
I read today that we have lost our Leader, Mentor and Friend Patrick Hollingdale aka Pistol Patch.
Screenshot_20200717-141941_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200717-141813_Chrome.jpg
I don't really know what to say. I am completely in shock. I got to know Pat thru this site. I decided to brew using the BIAB method and who better to learn from then one of the innovators of the process. I worked my way up here to be honored with being named a moderator. Eventhough we lived on opposite sides of the planet, I worked the midnight shift and got to chat with Pat almost nightly for some time. I drifted away from brewing for a while, but am close to being able to hop back into the hobby. Unfortunately Pat won't be here to be a part of it. Pistol will be in my thoughts with each and every brew to come.
Cheers, Prost, Rest in Peace my friend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Re: R.I.P. Pistol Patch. Cheers to You

Post #3 made 3 years ago
Thanks for posting this Lumpy. It needed to be done, and been several days now. It is never fun coming up with the words... I was really struggling with this.

It was six years ago this month (July, 2014, while vacationing / dropping my daughter off for college in Florida) that I was extensively perusing the beer blogs, trying to figure out the best next step to upgrade from extract brewing and go whole grain. The extremely well written posts of PistolPatch convinced me to upgrade to the BIAB process. Then further advice of PistolPatch and others on this site gave advice on equipment, along with more advice on brewing...reviewing my BIABacuses and first brews to help me do better in future. Pat was always willing to spend time to help others.

Back in Florida, visiting daughter and son in law as I am writing this... Seems like longer than six years.

Pat will be missed. He had a major impact on the brewing community, one of the key pioneers that developed the BIAB Process and Is the person most responsible for making it popular in the world. He was always willing to spending time helping others.
Last edited by Scott on 19 Jul 2020, 20:24, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 3 years ago
I first heard about him on basic brewing radio. And then I heard about his passing also a Basic Brewing Radio.
I never knew that Pat and pistol patch were one and the same.

He never hesitated to answer any of my questions. He was ever gracious and never stingy with his knowledge.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord, and mar the perpetual light shine upon him. May he Rest In Peace.

Greg
Last edited by gvhorwitz on 19 Dec 2020, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 3 years ago
I just found out about PP’s passing on YouTube channel run by his nephew (totally brewing unrelated!) small world :(

They are brewing a commemorative Amarillo Pale Ale in his honour

R.I.P. Patch 😢

Video Below:
https://youtu.be/jTxSe6W7Y0w
"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”Dave Berry

Post #8 made 3 years ago
This is heart breaking news! Pat (Pistol Patch) was the most professional, amateur brewer, bar none! He was always generous with his time and knowledge. I remember when someone asked a question here on Biabrewer. I had hoped a more knowledgeable brewer would see the question asked and answer it. But it went unanswered for quite a while, not wanting to leave a new brewer hanging, I took a stab at it. But unlike PP, I gave a very short and to the point answer. PP later PM'ed me and said that he wished that he could give answers like that. :sneak:

I have said this before, but I would have never gotten into home All Grain brewing without Pat and this awesome site! Many current home brewers, and future home brewers owe you a debt of gratitude for immortalising your brewing knowledge.

Cheers to you Pat, you will be greatly missed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_IrXsEHZxM

JR
Last edited by JackRussel on 22 Apr 2021, 07:48, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Return to “Important Notices”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 18 guests