Simple BIAB 2:1 Pulley Setup

Post #1 made 9 years ago
This is how I've setup my pulley system. Works quite well and gives me 2:1 mechanical advantage which is more than enough to hoist 12KG grain bills :)

Be sure to use a smooth rope, like sash cord.

I purchased the components from BCF (Boating/Camping/Fishing) or Bunnings (General Hardware Store)
Pulley1-labels.jpg
A bowline is tied at the end of the sash cord, then you thread the two pulleys on. The clip is attached to the pulley closest to the bowline, in my case using a link. I use the split link to give me two attachment points from my one sky hook.
Pulley2-layout.jpg
The split link is hooked onto the skyhook, then the bowline is hooked to one side of the split link, and the second pulley is attached to the other side of the split link.

I use a cleat I attached to a wall to easily hold the weight of the wet bag.

pulling down on the loose end will easily raise your bag with twice the lifting force applied.

And the clip makes it easy to clip onto lifting tabs which you have already added to your bag ;)
Pulley3-assembly.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stux on 23 Aug 2011, 23:44, edited 5 times in total.
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #5 made 9 years ago
Nice neat work there stux :thumbs:
[center]"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/center]

[center]Homer Simpson[/center]
[center]K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.[/center]

Post #6 made 9 years ago
That is a very nicely presented post :salute:

Stu, you have motivated me to find some pics though not as well presented as yours! The following system is slightly different from yours :lol:. Apparently, it was done by some guys in Mexico...
MexcianBIAB.jpg
Here's one of Lloydie and Stevem01 interfering with my bag :interesting: (This pic is of two double batches being done side by side. I use two "double pulleys" which unfortunately can't be seen clearly. Each pulley has two wheels in it though giving you that extra 'lift'. Each bag has six tabs and I attach three tabs to one of the two 'butcher's' hooks as this is much easier than putting six tabs over one hook.)
Double Batch - Side by Side.jpg
This last pic shows an interesting bit of equipment I bought years ago at an agricultural field day. Those blue things will actually lift a car engine so are a bit OTT for our BIAB bags. What is great for BIAB is the cleat you can see on the wall which you can get from any boating shop.
Bag Hang1.jpg
Great thread Stu :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 24 Aug 2011, 20:16, edited 5 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #9 made 8 years ago
I came across a selection of hardware bits and pieces at a market stall, and I couldn't resist these double pulley blocks that were only $9 each. The resulting "block and tackle" setup would actually pull a telegraph pole over according to an old farmer mate from Wauchope :o so totally OTT for BIAB, but why the heck not. It makes it so easy to haul the bag anyway.
Here's a "wiring diagram" but instead of attaching the fixed end to the upper block - mine doesn't have that attachment - I just affix it to a common hook, at the top, a bit like stux's method, and it does the same job. Little packs of SS hooks from a hardware store and most of the ties and knots are just little hangmans nooses as that's the one and only knot I'm expert at - even my shoelaces don't last the whole shift usually :dunno:
Last edited by Beachbum on 10 Dec 2011, 08:22, edited 5 times in total.

Post #10 made 8 years ago
I like the way that you cut a hole in your ceiling to access a beam, that is dedication to your craft!. Even trimmed it off nicely, great work. ;)
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #13 made 8 years ago
Good Day, You have Possums in Ozland??? How many marsupials do you guys/blokes have????
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #14 made 8 years ago
All of them
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda

5/7/12

Post #15 made 8 years ago
Good Day Stux, That is true, In America we only have Possums, Since America is tougher than OzLand we have Armadillos, They look like Up-Amrored Possums, A much tougher Critter. And a problem like possums.

Post #17 made 8 years ago
The initial post reminds me of an episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown builds a pulley system combined with a ladder for frying turkeys. I think that the design would work well, and I don't have to modify anything with my house (renter). I haven't yet done a biab beyond partial mash, but I think I'll have to try this soon.

Build blueprint: http://altonbrown.com/pdfs/AB_turkey_derrick.pdf

Post #19 made 8 years ago
Good Day Dutchm, a clove hitch is good, two half hitches is better, or my favorite, the Full Hitch.

Post #21 made 8 years ago
No need to hook the bag dutchm, unless you have a bag with sewn in tabs especially for lifting. I don't and just use a clove hitch, it doesn't put undue stress on the bag or slip.

Cheers.
Last edited by hashie on 14 Feb 2012, 05:17, edited 5 times in total.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #23 made 8 years ago
Great pictures Mad_Scientist! Helps a lot. Do you tie your bag in a knot to give the noose something to hold onto? How is your bag design working out for you. I have the material but still need to sew mine up.

Post #24 made 8 years ago
dutchm wrote:Great pictures Mad_Scientist! Helps a lot. Do you tie your bag in a knot to give the noose something to hold onto? How is your bag design working out for you. I have the material but still need to sew mine up.
I thought it was going to require the cinched up rope in the casing as a stop, but the next brew day I experimented because my pulley maxed out on height and I wanted the bag to clear the kettle opening for better control and squeezing, so I choked up on the bag (about another 8+ inches) and the hangman's noose held (just the voile against the noose). I squeezed the bag under these conditions and it held and the cleat knot held nicely.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 14 Feb 2012, 07:30, edited 5 times in total.
Brewing with MS; https://goo.gl/photos/puZUgG8QRp7p8gLd9

Post #25 made 8 years ago
I have 6 or 8 (8 is better) lifting tabs on my bags. I gather the tabs, clip them into the clip in the top picture then tighten the draw string and lift.

My latest large bag (98L) has two pairs of lifting tabs which actually wrap around the whole bag and cross over at the bottom for extra strength

5/7/12

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 6 guests