weldless thermometer

Post #1 made 13 years ago
hi was just looking at these weldless thermometer and before i bought or drill a hole in my pot would these be a problem with pulling the bag in and out . the smallest i can find has a 3in probe, or should i locate it down near the bottom of the tap and that will be ok .
Ah, beer, my one weakness. My achille's heel, if you will..........

Post #2 made 13 years ago
I wouldn't bother with it

The probe will catch the bag, they're not that accurate and they only provide the local temperature
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #3 made 13 years ago
I installed a weldless thermo in my mashtun/kettle and I've never had it catch on the bag. I installed it under the level of the cake rack that sits on the bottom of the pot. This way the bag sits on the cake rack and the thermo is below that, never causing an issue.

A couple of thing to consider with these dial thermos;
- they need constant calibration... can easily drift a few degrees over a few uses. Get a good quality glass thermo to check it against
- when noting the temps always stir the entire volume to ensure you haven't got any cool or hot spots.

Post #4 made 13 years ago
I'd forget this idea for now samuls.

Between stux and argon's posts I think you can see that this is a thing that shouldn't be rushed into. It's certainly not a necessity and is most likely not even going to give you convenience or accuracy.

We brewers spend way too much time on making mashing complicated when it is actually the least time-consuming part of the brewing process and is totally easy. A cheap but accurate brewer's thermometer as I think is pictured in The Commentary is a great little thermometer.

Spend your thinking and money on the hard bits of brewing - transfers, cleaning, sanitisation etc.

Cheers
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 33 guests