Stainless hop basket

Post #1 made 7 years ago
I recently bought a S/S hop basket which hangs nicely on the inside of my 40L Crown Urn. It's an Ebay/H.K buy at about $26. I wanted to see the difference from a hopsock, and now prefer the basket.
I saw the KegKing equiv this weekend at my LHBS in Perth and was shocked at the quality differences. Much better to pay an extra $10 for the K.K or store eqiv in the long run. Might only get another 10 brews out of mine before it falls apart.
Anyone got other tips for basic equipment. I guess sometimes it's better to spend an extra $10 in the long run.
Last edited by Muggy Dawson on 26 Mar 2017, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
Stout, Stout, Stout, and some other stuff...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Re: Stainless hop basket

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Got any pics or links Muggy? What were you using as a hopsock? (Hold on, just had a look and I suspect you mean this basket versus this sock.

The socks are good for dry hopping.

For hops in the boil, I just use my bag and let it "hang" around lazily in the boil but I do have some rope to hang it off.

I don't have time atm to go into specific equipment but will pass on one tip...

When you see or consider equipment, stop for a minute and visualise all the steps involved in using the equipment. Often, you'll find there is something that just doesn't work as neatly as it should or ends up taking you ages to clean.

:o
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Re: Stainless hop basket

Post #3 made 7 years ago
You're spot on with both pieces of equipment. The bag is easier to clean as I usually did it at the same time as the grain bag. Noticed today, what I thought was a clean hop basket still had small debris in the folds and joins.
I've also tried the various sized tea balls for dry hopping, but while the main parts are stainless steel, the small joining pins or rivets certainly weren't and corroded.
The K.I.S.S method might be best here, and I'll be going back to the hop sock for the boil, and dry hopping now.
Stout, Stout, Stout, and some other stuff...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests