What Burner?

Post #1 made 14 years ago
G'day guys,
I managed to get my hands on a keggle recently and was able to borrow a 4 ring burner from work. so today I gave it a test run and put 35 liters of water at 20 degC it took 40 mins to get to 68 degC and a further hourto get to the boil. Ambient temp outside was 10 degC.
I wasn't all that impressed with the times and not to mention the boil was barely a boil.
So I thought I'd put it out ther and ask the question, What is the best burner, price and power?
I have priced a mongolian 23 jet from Auscrown for $50 should I go for this or something else?
Cheers
[center]"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/center]

[center]Homer Simpson[/center]
[center]K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.[/center]

Post #2 made 14 years ago
Agh! I used to know all these answers but have forgotten.

Just quickly...

A four-ring burner is useless as the outer-ring is usually outside the pot. I have a three-ring and a mongolian/Italian burner???? - not truly sure what is the right name.

If I was starting out again, I would get a burner with an ignition system and one that acts as a base as well. PM LloydieP as to what burner he has as the last time I recommended a burner like this it was that one. I love his burner!

When you PM him, make sure you link this thread so he replies here. I am bloody jealous of his burner. As a rule, buy whatever I don't have and have recommended to others :)
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 14 years ago
Hey Wiz, it must have been a dodgy 4 ring you borrowed from work. I use a 4 ring under my keggle and it works a treat.

The outer ring is not outside the keggle, but just inside the chime. Mine goes from cold to 66C in ~20 minutes, from 66C to 77C in 10 minutes and from 77C to boil in 10 minutes. A rolling boil is maintained with rings 2 & 3.

It is important with these burners to keep them clean. I usually give mine a quick squirt with compressed air once every 3 months or so to keep the insides nice and free.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #4 made 14 years ago
Hashie, do you use a standard regulator or a variable pressure?
I was thinking the same thing about giving it a clean too.
Cheers
[center]"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/center]

Post #5 made 14 years ago
Standard reg on a standard bottle.

I initially used an appropriate sized drill bit to ensure the jets were free and clean (only have to do this once). Then just a quick blow out once in a while.

Cheers
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #6 made 14 years ago
I'd be getting myself a medium pressure adjustable reg for that 4 burner... would make life a little easier. Most 4 rings will work fine if you've got the pressure.

I did however upgrade to a Rambo that gets to temp in a shot... couldn't be easier... highly recommended.

Post #7 made 14 years ago
When I got home this afternoon went to the garage, pulled the 4 ring apart turned the compressor on and gave it all a good blow out. I found that the jets were a bit blocked and there was quiet a bit of crap in the burner itself (it has justr been hanging on a hook in our fabrication section un-used for who knows how long.)
So after a good cleaning, I fired it up and right away the flame was cleaner and seemed hotter. I then topped up the keggle to about 31 L and started another test run.
16 - 67 degC 25 minutes, then to boiling in another 23 minutes.
I was a lot happier with these results (half the time of the last test :) ), so I think I may continue to borrow this burner till the need arises to buy one for myself. Might still get a variable pressure Reg to see the difference.
BTW Kept a good boil with ringss 2 & 3 just as hashie mentioned above. Also liked seeing the rolled ring around the bottom of the bell glowing red :D

Cheers ;)
[/center]

Post #9 made 14 years ago
It takes me twenty minuets to bring my water up to mash temperature. I don't know if that's good or not. I sounds like a jet engine! One thing to remember. I use propane for my (Barbie)? Grill. The people that sold it to me said that the scent of propane attracts spiders. They said to clean out the burners and keep the cap on the spare tank. The spiders like to nest in the jets. I have found this to be true.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HIGH_PRE ... 182C87.cfm
Last edited by BobBrews on 28 Jul 2010, 21:44, edited 6 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #10 made 14 years ago
iijakii wrote:The blokes on the other forum I go to suggest the Bayou Classic Burner

(How's my British twang? :P)
Haha, nice twang. I use a Bayou Classic and it works well enough. Last I timed it it took about 70-80 minutes to bring water to a boil, but I'm at 5000+ ft. elevation so I would guess around 90 minutes at sea level.
Last edited by SacSoul on 28 Jul 2010, 21:47, edited 6 times in total.
Arrogant Bastard Ale: "...Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."

Post #11 made 14 years ago
hashie wrote:Standard reg on a standard bottle.

I initially used an appropriate sized drill bit to ensure the jets were free and clean (only have to do this once). Then just a quick blow out once in a while.

Cheers
Yep, that is very important. Ring burners tend to work well for the first few brews and then slow right down. Drilling the jets out a tad fixes this. (Only just saw your last post Wiz. Looks as though you have found this already :)).

I use an adjustable reg with mine but I bought this before realising I had to drill the holes out. Maybe an adjustable is not necessary??? They do make life easier though especially with ring burners as you can do all your adjusting on the one dial.

Another important thing with new burners is to fire them up before you brew. Some paints they use on them turn into wisps which float into your beer!

My 3 ring gets from about 18 C to 65 C for a single batch in about 20 minutes. Raising to mash out is less than 10 and going from mash out to boil is a bit more than 10. The Italian Spiral burnere I have is a bit faster but not by much.

Glad to hear 4 ring burners fits okay wizard and is working well now. There must be different size four ring burners as my mate has a 55cm pot and it only just fits under that!

Cheers
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 29 Jul 2010, 18:17, edited 6 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #12 made 14 years ago
Burner Noise

Another important factor to think of when buying a burner is the noise. Some burners are bloody noisy. Some are seriously hard to talk over and the speed at which they heat is not that much faster. The heat is usually more focussed as well and so you are more likely to get hot spots etc. (You might even burn your bag in some cases if you are not careful.) If your neighbours live close and you like to start brewing early, do not buy a noisy burner.

The best post I have seen on burners can be found here.

Post #13 of that thread even has sound files of the burners in action!

The burner I recommended to Lloydie is not there but the nose level is only a tad higher than my Italian Spiral burner.

Cheers
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 29 Jul 2010, 18:20, edited 6 times in total.

Post #13 made 14 years ago
Hi PP is this the burner you suggested to Lloydie
burner.gif
I did see that topic on AHB some good info in that thread, scary seeing the concrete floor exploded :shock:
I'm going to attempt a full batch this weekend, so I will give the burner a proper workout. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wizard78 on 29 Jul 2010, 19:30, edited 6 times in total.
[/center]

Post #14 made 14 years ago
Hey Wiz,

That is the burner I suggested. It's great! Self-ignition and all!

What is its proper name? (Lloydie is working 7 days a week atm so we won't find out from him :))

Have fun with the full batch!

Post #16 made 14 years ago
I managed to get a brew done in my new keggle setup. The 4 ring preformed well, so I think I'll keep using it 'till my boss's decide they want it back :?
In fact the whole thing went well, got higher efficiency than expected but that was balanced by less boil off than expected, but ended up spot on with og and an extra 2 litres in the fermenter.
The only real hitch I had was I dropped my digital thermometer into the wort when raising the temp for mashout, and the only other thermometer only went to 70deg c :( , so I just guessed when to turn the flame off :roll: . I don't think this will matter much on finished product, time will tell :D
Btw anaged to get the thermometer working again, might have to invest in a decent back up though.
Cheers ;)
[/center]

Post #17 made 14 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:Hey Wiz,

That is the burner I suggested. It's great! Self-ignition and all!

What is its proper name? (Lloydie is working 7 days a week atm so we won't find out from him :))

Have fun with the full batch!
Sorry PP I forgot to reply to your post.
Auscrown have them listed as Rambo Auto Ignition Burners
Cheers wiz ;)
Last edited by wizard78 on 06 Aug 2010, 21:54, edited 6 times in total.
[/center]

Post #18 made 14 years ago
Thanks Wiz! (I'll have to remember to ask Lloyd to post his opinion of the burner when he gets decent internet connection - he is currently residing in a wirelss deadspot so it takes him 20 mins to load an internet page!)

Great to hear the 4 ring is working well. What is the diameter of it btw? All the 4 rings I have seen are too wide for most kettles but you, gibbo and probably a heap of others are having no problems?

LOL on the thermometer! Don't worry about raising the temp too high or too low. I don't think you'll find any major problems there. And, you are right about having a replacement thermometer. Whilst I do have some digital thermometers, the thermometers I rely on most and check any others I have against are the remarkably cheap and commonly available "brewers thermometers." They are usually very accurate. I'll try adding a pic of one.

Cheers mate,
PP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #19 made 14 years ago
Low pressure adjustable regulator with the italian spiral burner looks the goods. Has anyone seen a cheaper option of the same product? and if anyone has one is it all pretty stable with a full keggle on top or would you need to manufacture a stand of some kind?

Post #20 made 14 years ago
I was mashing last night and one of my thermos said 170 F and the other 155 F !!

I went with the 155 thermo since I believed it to be accurate, but it scared me regardless.

Post #21 made 14 years ago
Yes the variance in thermometers can be a bit frightening :o . Hopefully the one I pictured above is available in the US??? Remember when you buy your next one to pick the one on display that reads the average of them all :)

Good luck!
PP

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 6 guests