Where do I buy a 100 litre stockpot

Post #1 made 9 years ago
http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/stock ... l-pot.html

STOCKPOT 1) I've seen this on the internet and was wondering if anyone has already bought one and what do they think of it.

http://www.brewbuilder.co.uk/index.php? ... uct_id=102

STOCKPOT 2) This one seems a better quality.

Can anyone suggest another company?
I would like to buy it in England.
I definitely do not want a tap fitted.
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 9 years ago
I haven't bought those you mention Phillip, but I did buy the 80L Thermos pot from Angel Homebrew. The service was excellent.

I am not sure that those pots are different though. Look the same to me :scratch:
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 9 years ago
I'm tired, drunk, have had a bad day, am running behind on almost everything and have lost my place on most threads here.

My only question for you however is why do you want a 100 L pot?

NEXT DAY EDIT: Today was actually better than yesterday despite the van I bought 4 weeks ago and spent 100 hours fitting out being rear-ended this morning. Another long day :smoke:.

Phillip, I see you haven't logged in again since mally's or my post. Make sure you read this thread before starting a thread. In other words, mark it with a ?, respond to answers as soon as you can and mark the topic with a tick as soon as you have had your question answered well.

There are lots of disadvantages to a 100 litre pot so it's important to ensure you are focused on that size for good reasons.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 10 Feb 2015, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Thanx for the replies.
The reason I want a 100 litre pot is I want to brew a batch that will fill 3 corni kegs.
What would be the ideal size for 3 corni kegs without having to top up or get boil overs?

I also intend to fit two 2.75KW elements in one stock pot.

Post #5 made 9 years ago
If you look Here, I fitted 2 kettle elements to my insulated kettle too.

For the size question...
It depends what you want to brew to fill those corny kegs. The volume of mash (VOM) that you will have depends on a couple of things, but most importantly, what gravity brew you want to achieve.
Also, Presuming your corny kegs are the 19L versions (I have the 23 litre ones) and I believe there are 25 Litre versions as well, will make a difference.

So if I was to make some "guesses" - 19L kegs & 1.040 brew, without any "advanced trub management", your VOM is in the region of 92L. This is based on a 60L Volume into fermenter (VIF) giving 57L Volume into packaging 19L x 3 (VIP).
Stronger brews, and bigger kegs are going to mean bigger pot/maxi BIAB/advanced trub management/reducing VIP.
Last edited by mally on 11 Feb 2015, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
G B

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Hello Mally,
The 2.4KW elements, did you buy them from Backer Electric? Do you think I would need the 2.5mm silicone washers fitted to the inside of a non insulated pot?

I do not want to buy an insulated pot because I want to No Chill in the Stockpot/boiler over night.

With the two 2.4KW do you get a good rolling boil? Did you fit a temperature controller?

Post #7 made 9 years ago
I went for the 2.4Kw, as the 2.75 are special IEC plug fittings.
I can't remember where I got those, but definitely not Backer/Haden as I heard they can cut-out during boil.
Not sure about the washers, but I fitted inside & out just to be sure!

Yep, the only downside I found to the insulated pot was if you wanted to chill in the kettle!
No temp control and I tend to flick between 1 on & both on. 1 seems to be too weak, but 2 seems too powerful.
I could just float a stainless bowl and leave it to one though!
G B

Post #8 made 9 years ago
Thanx for the reply Mally.

My corni kegs are 19L and I want a 1.040 brew. With your calculations VOM is 92L which is to much for a 100L pot isn't it?
How many corni kegs do you think I could brew comfortably in a 100L pot?

How many corni kegs do you get out of your 80L pot?

Post #9 made 9 years ago
I think 92L is close to the brim, but should be OK as long as you can remove the bag of grain slowly without it overflowing (and it really is 100L)!
VOM is the volume with all your water & grain, i.e. the maximum amount of space that will be occupied. Once the grain is removed you will have around 80L for the boil.

I tend to brew 2 x 23L VIP, so can have VOM similar to above in terms of headspace remaining (5-10L).
G B

Post #10 made 9 years ago
When I start I'll go for the same amount as you Mally and just up scale a little each time until I'm brewing to almost max. But I don't want to be to near the the rim. Thanx for the reply

Post #11 made 9 years ago
Philip321 wrote:http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/stock ... l-pot.html

STOCKPOT 1) I've seen this on the internet and was wondering if anyone has already bought one and what do they think of it.
I used one of these when I first started BIAB with a friend and still have it. Largest batches I’ve done with it was 65 litres but had to hold some water back from the MASH to achieve this. Make sure you have some way to lift the bag because it gets incredibly heavy. I no longer use it for large batches because I have no way of hoisting the bag as I use a gas burner and brew outside and my friend has moved away, so we no longer brew together.

I still use it for smaller batches (23 litres) but I do want to downgrade as I feel it’s a bit overkill now.
PistolPatch wrote: There are lots of disadvantages to a 100 litre pot so it's important to ensure you are focused on that size for good reasons.
Just out of interest PP what are the disadvantages? Like I said I bought a 100 litre pot from start when brewing with a friend. But now I’m on my own I don’t do large batches anymore. Really need to downgrade to a smaller pot…50 or 70 Litre pot for a 24 litre brew length?
Last edited by windrider on 12 Feb 2015, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #12 made 9 years ago
Thanx for the reply windrider.

I've already bought two double pulleys which will give me a 4:1 lifting ration. I'll be brewing in my garage with electricity.

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests