Post #26 made 9 years ago
I got the same sort mate, refurbished and never had a drama with it, I love it for brewing and cooking and my wife has started using it too, very cool device.

Cheers.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #27 made 9 years ago
How quick are they exactly nicko?
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #29 made 9 years ago
Welcome to the club Nicko!

Mine is nearly 3 years old now, still going strong, same battery etc. :thumbs:
Last edited by mally on 11 Apr 2015, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #30 made 9 years ago
Thermo pen arrived today. MillMaster mill should arrive tomorrow. My next brew day is going to heaps of fun
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.

Post #31 made 9 years ago
I discovered that the word "thermapen" is vulgar and prohibited for use by eBay.

Post #32 made 9 years ago
"Thermopen" is only Vulgar Slang when using "Dutch Oven" in the same Sentence.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Stuff it... I bought a Thermapen!

Post #33 made 9 years ago
Lol. I've been testing it out on ice and boiling water. I never thought of that thanks Joshua. I'll have to wait till my wife is asleep though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post #34 made 9 years ago
nosco wrote:Finally ordered a thermapen. My last brew was lacking in acurate/quick temp readings. plus it was cheap

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/371301661764

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/291426972118

I got the moustache one :mrgreen:
You'll love it mate, I also use it on most cooked meats, there's a huge difference between cooked chicken (75C), and overlooked chicken, I didn't know I'd been overlooking for years. Just be careful not to let it hit bone, messes up the read as the bones get pretty hot, insert into the chunkiest part of the meat, like a chicken thigh.

Enjoy! :salute: :clap:
Last edited by nicko on 29 Apr 2015, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #35 made 9 years ago
Ive got an old webber out side that i hvnt used much. I might have to fire it up again

Post #36 made 9 years ago
Hopefully gonna brew my first stout this friday so ill test it then :D

Post #37 made 9 years ago
nosco wrote:Ive got an old webber out side that i hvnt used much. I might have to fire it up again
It's worth the time! If you've got a Facebook account, jump onto the Webber addicts page (called something like that), some great ideas on there!

Good luck with the stout! might go refrigerate a bottle in your honour.

:salute:
Last edited by nicko on 29 Apr 2015, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post #38 made 9 years ago
The Therma Pen (eBay friendly spelling) worked a treat on my stout brew tonight. Im not sure if to do with the quick response time but it read 3C higher than my other 2 thermometers on the strike water temp. It also confirmed for me that I have a problem with holding mash temps and although it doesnt really matter I was also able for the first time measure the temp of the grain before mash in :smoke:

Ill assume for now that it reads accurate temps but that aside the quick read times makes brewing a hell of alot easier.

Re:

Post #40 made 8 years ago
nosco wrote:The Therma Pen (eBay friendly spelling) worked a treat on my stout brew tonight. Im not sure if to do with the quick response time but it read 3C higher than my other 2 thermometers on the strike water temp. It also confirmed for me that I have a problem with holding mash temps and although it doesnt really matter I was also able for the first time measure the temp of the grain before mash in :smoke:

Ill assume for now that it reads accurate temps but that aside the quick read times makes brewing a hell of alot easier.
I bought 2 different thermometers from thermoworks( thermopen maker). I tested them just at ambient temps and they were almost 2°C different. They may be fast but we can't assume that they are accurate.
Last edited by Lumpy5oh on 30 Oct 2015, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #41 made 8 years ago
That kinda sucks but i guess it really doesn't matter. Ive kinda been working on a mini herms to try and get my mash temps stable (after 21 brews lol) but until then i cant really experiment with mash temps. Still happy with my beer though.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Stuff it... I bought a Thermapen!

Post #42 made 8 years ago
I guess you could calibrate them but that's no guarantee that it will be accurate. I just found out you can calibrate them hence late reply lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post #43 made 8 years ago
Just out of interest Lumpy, were these both "Thermapens" or just Thermoworks thermometers?

Just check the specifications of the model you bought. The Thermapen should be +/- 0.4C, others can be much more variable, so 2C difference is still within specification (if they are +/- 1C each as an example).
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #44 made 8 years ago
One is a +/- 1° the other is .5°. They were hovering today within range.
My post wasn't complaining about the difference. I mainly wanted to illustrate the danger in relying on one thermometer.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #46 made 8 years ago
I would keep it. It's nice to have a handle on the temps down there between the bag and kettle wall. From what a read, brewers use a spoon to cover it during the bag pull.

MS
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #47 made 8 years ago
Tech support at Ss Brewing suggest sliding a short length of silicon tubing over the tip.
I will try to avoid hitting it when stirring. Maybe the potato masher is better than a spoon.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Robertz
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 13 guests