Post #26 made 10 years ago
Thanks!

I've included the right triangle formulas, to get all the data you need without using another calculator... If anyone find some kind of mistake please report here to have it fixed :D

Until then, i will start to make my bag, i just hope that i have enough voile material :pray: :lol:
I am using a 50 litre keg, so i need more material because of the keg's collar (or how is it called :lol:)

Post #28 made 10 years ago
Thanks for sharing guys :thumbs:
mr.jadkowski for the tutorial & bionut for the excel tool (works great)

With this info I'll be able to make a bag soon - going to make a template out of paper or cardboard first.
Last edited by JIGSAW on 25 Oct 2013, 05:20, edited 2 times in total.
The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From South Africa

Post #29 made 10 years ago
I am glad you liked it.
I used some big ass plastic trash bags for the template. You can tape some sheets of paper together to make one big enough for the template too.
My bag work great, it's hand stitched but it holds enough weight for my 20 litres batches.

Post #30 made 10 years ago
JIGSAW wrote:Thanks for sharing guys :thumbs:
mr.jadkowski for the tutorial & bionut for the excel tool (works great)

With this info I'll be able to make a bag soon - going to make a template out of paper or cardboard first.
UPDATE:
I think I can call this one success ....
DSCF2765.JPG
DSCF2767.JPG
.... next project = pulley system.
/heads off to search these forums :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JIGSAW on 13 Nov 2013, 00:27, edited 2 times in total.

Post #31 made 10 years ago
Jigsaw
Would you mind sharing your measurements. I see you have a keggle as do I and I am not sure my numbers are correct.
Thanks
Fermenting:

Bottle Conditioning

Up Next:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #32 made 10 years ago
I'm attaching my 'xls' file as supplied by bionut in post #24

Kettle Height 48
Kettle upper Diameter 40
Kettle lower Diameter 34 (This is actually the diameter of my hole cut into the top)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JIGSAW on 17 Feb 2014, 03:15, edited 2 times in total.

Post #33 made 10 years ago
I dont know about any one else but these instructions really did my head in. Maybe its because im making a bag for a 70lt pot and also because I am pretty useless at maths. The bit that stumped me is trying to mark out an angle. Angles are pretty useless without the right tools. I tried using a triangle calculator on the net to give me the length of another side but I ended up needing about 8sq meters to mark it out on the floor.
LUCKILY for me I have a mother who can sew very well so I asked her to come around and help me. She asked what the base radius was {i made the radius smaller than the false bottom which is also smaller than the pot). She then made a circle with string and a pencil on pattern making fabric and cut it out. Then she drew a line about a meter long on a work bench and made almost a quarter circle with string and a pencil with the 1 meter radius. From the end of the quarter circle edge she measured back to the centre, the height of my pot (minus the false bottom). Then she took the circle she made first and folded it into quarters and then used the length of the outside round quarter edge to measure the inside curve of the large part circle she had marked out. Using this length to gives you a quarter of your bag wall. You then turn this into a half and then use the half to make full size on folded bag fabric.
I mmaaaayyy have got a few details wrong and obviously my mum was just wingin it from experience. She said she can alter it after to fit which you cant do unless you know how to sew. The end result hopefully will have double layers and nylon webbing for reinforcing ala BobBrews. It will also have double stiching called "french seems" oo la la :smoke: .

If it works out then I reckon you guys are makin a mountain out of a mould hill.

If it doesnt work out then me and my mum are both stupid :headhit: .

Ill post pics if and when its done.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #35 made 10 years ago
Nosco,

That was the method the wife used on both my bigs, and they fit like a glove, perfect.

But then she is no stranger to dress making and sewing machines :).

I guess the more complicated instructions are for us men, who don't have 20 years of dress making experience

I hope they work out for you
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #36 made 10 years ago
Ok its been a long time in the making but its finally finished :argh:

As it turns out I am dumb but luckily my mum isnt. Thanks mum. I would like to mention that she is turning 70 this month! and still going strong.

She used the method I explained before and in my first brew it worked like a charm. Nothing new except it has French seams which means there is no where for grains to get stuck. Not that it really makes any difference except tha I may be the only BIAB brewer in exsitance that has a bag with French seams :smoke: I cant explain it so here are the pics.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #40 made 9 years ago
Why do I keep on getting a ridiculous number for the angle, like 93 degrees or something? I get the same result with the spreadsheet and by hand? My r1=31.34, b=120.87.

EDIT: nope, still can't get it right? :think: I took new measurements and all.
Upper diameter 54cm
Lower diameter 46cm
Height 37cm

...the calculator gives 91.95 degrees for the angle? That can't be.
"The rules for making hop additions during the boil are about as well defined as those for a knife fight." -Stan Hieronymus

Post #41 made 9 years ago
nah.. didn't get it to work, probably something to do with my kettle's size; the width is large compared to the height. But I made a simpler bag by just measuring the circumference and sewing (or my wife sew) a tube of that size. Seems to fit reasonably well.
"The rules for making hop additions during the boil are about as well defined as those for a knife fight." -Stan Hieronymus

Post #42 made 9 years ago
I plugged your data in to the spreadsheet and got the same results onkeltuka.

I think your large angle is due to the shape of your kettle. Is it really sloped like that?
If you make the pot straight sided 54cm top & bottom, you will see your angle drop to 60ish degrees.

Probably too late now, but I would have just used the values you got.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #43 made 9 years ago
Yes, the large angle is due to the geometry of the kettle. Normaly hombrewers use kettles that have the height equal or larger than the diameter to keep the boil off under control. With that diameter he will be good with a simple tapered bag, no need to complicate things with a truncated bag. When you have a small opening and a big height it can be useful to have a truncated cone bag.
If the boil off is a problem to you you can boil partialy covered.

Post #44 made 9 years ago
The big upper diameter is mostly due to a wide rim that flares out quite a bit. It's a funky DIY kettle made by a welder friend, it looks like something that cannibals could use ;) Anyways, the problem with using the big angle was that the lenght of the side got so long that it got practically impossible to mark out on the fabric. Anyways, I'm happy with the simpler bag, I bet it works out just great.
FOT9D5B.JPG
Last edited by onkeltuka on 06 Aug 2014, 12:48, edited 2 times in total.

Post #45 made 9 years ago
Well at least you got what you needed in the end. :thumbs:

If you ever have to make another bag, or get another pot, just measure the diameter of the insides instead (Inner Diameter).
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #46 made 8 years ago
Why bother with angles?

T=Top circumference,
B=Bottom circumference,
H=Depth of bag

Draw a line corresponding to T, then H units of length below that line, draw another line the same length as T vertically aligned with the top line. Then do the following calculation: M=(T+B)/2. From left and right, make a mark M units of length in on the bottom line. The line between these two marks will correspond to B and will be centered with respect to T. Then use a straight object to draw two diagonal lines from B to T. See image.

Post #47 made 8 years ago
This way you won't get a truncated cone shape, after you sew the margins together the bottom won't be a plane disc but some kind of elipse. It will work like charm this way too, but will not be too pretty.

Post #48 made 8 years ago
This way you won't get a truncated cone shape, after you sew the margins together the bottom won't be a plane disc but some kind of elipse. It will work like charm this way too, but will not be too pretty.

Post #49 made 8 years ago
Oh. I wasn't clear enough. Of course you should also cut a disc with the same circumference as the bottom line (B), or maybe a little bigger to have an overlap, and sew it to the other piece. The point was that you don't actually have to measure any angles or use a protractor.

Post #50 made 8 years ago
:D cut a small trapeze out of paper and try to make a truncated cone, you will see that will not be a perfect cone, the bottom circle will not be flat.
Measuring the angle is the only way to get a perfect cone shape bag, or maybe trace it with a big compass/divider, but in esence is the same as measuring angles.
As i said before, the trapeze way of making it will work great, but this topic is about trucated cone bags.

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 30 guests