Advice on Grain Mills for BIAB

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Guys,
I've been buying my grains pre crushed in group buys. This is great but I dont get to brew as often as I'd like so I end up with my grains being stored for too long. I'm thinking of getting a grain mill so I can buy whole grains and have the opportunity to get in on a group buy for a crankandstein mill. Can you guys, that use mills, tell me what I should be buying(or does it matter?). Also, do we need to crush differently from a traditional 3V brewer?
And, how long does it take to crush a 5Kg grain bill by hand?

Thanks

L

Post #2 made 11 years ago
I bought a corona mill a few years ago, cranked by hand the first couple of batches and then rigged it up so I could use a power drill to run the mill....much better!

I recently bought a roller mill and can honestly say the only difference in the crush (and my efficiency) between the corona mill and the roller mill is the price.

corona mill ($20 USD):
roller mill ($100-500 USD):

---Todd

who
would
be
$100
richer
if
he
stayed
with
the
corona
mill
Last edited by thughes on 10 Nov 2012, 11:28, edited 2 times in total.
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 11 years ago
I have a monster mill 2 which is pretty similar to a CnS; the MM2 has 6" rollers and the CnS2 has 5" rollers. Both are quality mills and will rip through any grain bill in a reasonable amount of time. Get a variable speed drill; cranking by hand sucks on big grain bills. I have my gap set at 0.035" and get 75-78% consistiently.

Post #4 made 11 years ago
thughes wrote:I bought a corona mill a few years ago, cranked by hand the first couple of batches and then rigged it up so I could use a power drill to run the mill....much better!

I recently bought a roller mill and can honestly say the only difference in the crush (and my efficiency) between the corona mill and the roller mill is the price.

corona mill ($20 USD):
roller mill ($100-500 USD):

---Todd

who
would
be
$100
richer
if
he
stayed
with
the
corona
mill
I've got one of the corona mills also (porkert brand). Rigged up with a upturned plastic water bottle to allow 10kg of grain feed and an electric drill so i dont have to crank it by hand.
I reckon its pretty good value for the money too. Mines probably had about 400kg of grain through it now so its been well and truely test.
The monster style mills look great, but i just can't justify the extra cost to upgrade.
Last edited by Aces high on 14 Nov 2012, 13:59, edited 2 times in total.

Post #9 made 11 years ago
Lylo wrote:I bought my Barley Crusher at the same time as my first kettle and burner,and have no regrets at having never had the ghetto experience!
I'm with you. I've only ever used the Barley Crusher, but have had no complaints!
Last edited by Jimmy on 30 Nov 2012, 11:09, edited 2 times in total.

Post #10 made 11 years ago
I'm using a MashMaster Minimill.
This is a quality mill.
I hook up my Ozito hammer drill for the crush & it can really chew through the grain.
The crank handle I bought for the mill will do the job but it's hard work doing it by hand.

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 20 guests