BIAB bag with "Voile" material

Post #1 made 11 years ago
I was able to find this fabric at a local fabric store for pretty cheap. I have a mother who is willing to sew this all up for me.
But I am wondering how many people have had good luck with this stuff? Providing that it has a good strong sew does this stuff hold up to repeated use? I am wondering how folks are adding handles to this bag for pulling large grain bills out with a pulley system?
Should the handle be made out of the same material but maybe rolled over itself a few times for added strength?

Robert

Post #2 made 11 years ago
I regularly do double batches which use around 10 to 12kg of grain and hoist it up via a roof mounted pulley. The current bag is about 30 batches old and shows no sign of giving up.

I bought some reiforcing material which I sewed aroud the top of the bag, then cut some smaller pieces and folded them over to form loops. These I sewed over the reinforced area of the bag. Ive got 4 loops to lift the bag from.

The material doesn't look very strong, but it holds up surprisingly well.

Post #3 made 11 years ago
rdeselle,

I am still using my original bag. Double fabric and extra stitching with poly thread my bag has held up. It looks like it's been through a war but it still works. My wife has made new bags with handles and drawstrings but I am using my first bag until it craps out or I decide to hang it on the wall and frame it! Voile does melt if you get it too hot but chances are that you will keep it out of the flames!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 11 years ago
BobBrews wrote:...I am using my first bag until it craps out or I decide to hang it on the wall and frame it!
:lol:

Polyester is very strong. I gave my first bag away about 5 years ago after two years of use and it is still employed!!!

As for lifting the bags via a pulley, like Aces high, I nearly always double-batch and have 6 'tabs' on my bag that I thread my rope through. The tabs are about 30mm (inch and a quarter wide) and are made of some readily available material I can see no other possible use for, apart from brewing. But, that's just me :lol:.

I'll try and be a bit more helpful tomorrow rd and get my camera out and give you a few more details.

;)
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 16 Aug 2012, 21:44, edited 3 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 11 years ago
@Bob...you state the following:
BobBrews wrote:Double fabric and extra stitching with poly thread my bag has held up. !
Are you saying you doubled up the fabric or just around the collar and any tabs for handing?

@PP...thanks in advance for taking the time to take a pic. I will see what kind of cheap yet strong fabric I can get for the collar and tabs. Maybe something like what backpacks are made from.

Thanks again!!!!!
Last edited by rdeselle on 16 Aug 2012, 22:14, edited 3 times in total.

Post #6 made 11 years ago
rdeselle wrote:@Bob...you state the following:
BobBrews wrote:Double fabric and extra stitching with poly thread my bag has held up. !
Are you saying you doubled up the fabric or just around the collar and any tabs for handing?

@PP...thanks in advance for taking the time to take a pic. I will see what kind of cheap yet strong fabric I can get for the collar and tabs. Maybe something like what backpacks are made from.

Thanks again!!!!!
I am saying that the whole bag is two layers of voile. The seam is doubled stitched. The edge is reinforced webbing. The original bag has only the drawstring but is two layers for added strength.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BobBrews on 16 Aug 2012, 22:49, edited 3 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #7 made 11 years ago
Bob, thanks for the pics. They are great and answer my questions about what material is best to use around the top. I was also questioning if you doubled up the material as I would suspect this could lead to it not draining very well once raised.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to answer and post the pics. Yet Another Happy Brewer

Post #8 made 11 years ago
rdeselle,

There is no problem with the bag draining. The voile material is perfect. The two ply bag was a attempt to add strength and durability. It saved me the embarrassment of losing my grain when burning a hole in the first bag by letting the bag lay on the bottom during heating. I melted the outer layer. We resewed the bottom of the bag and I am still using it. We rounded the bottom of the square bag and shaped it more cone shaped.

This newer version my wife made is very tapered. I will have to try it out!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #9 made 11 years ago
Bob, thanks. Good to know that this material can melt if left on the direct heat of the bottom of the pot. I will have to watch out for that.
You have gotten me very excited about trying my first all-grain BIAB. I just might have to try this out before my trip to Italy and Greece next month.

Post #11 made 11 years ago
BobBrews wrote:
rdeselle wrote:@Bob...you state the following:

Thanks again!!!!!
I am saying that the whole bag is two layers of voile. The seam is doubled stitched. The edge is reinforced webbing. The original bag has only the drawstring but is two layers for added strength.

My bag is similar shape to the one in Bob's photo. Its the old mans underwear shaped bag. I reckon it was the easiest shape to make as i folded it over, sewed it, then sewed the angle and cut off the fabric on the outside, then folded over and sewed again. In true man style it is over engineered to the hilt, but not very pretty
Last edited by Aces high on 17 Aug 2012, 09:49, edited 3 times in total.

Post #12 made 11 years ago
Aces high wrote:Its the old mans underwear shaped bag.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Finally took some pics of the tab material. I think they use this stuff to hem dresses or maybe on the waistband of some trousers :scratch:...
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
There are 6 tabs and to make things easy I put two hooks through each tab. Don't have a pic but here is a double batch being hung. The bottom of the bag is a round circle that is smaller than the kettle base..
P9210004 - Scaled.jpg
During the mash, the elastic sewn into the top of the bag holds it in place...
Bag and Grain.jpg
During the boil, I use the bag as a hop sock. I just hang it from one of the hooks so it's at a height where it can wander lazily around the boil...
P9210008.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 18 Aug 2012, 17:47, edited 3 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #13 made 11 years ago
hello guys.
i think i do need your help on something.
i habe a 50 ltr stainless steel pot with 40x40 cm (width x height)
i decided to make a proper voile bag but i dont know the right measures to do it, in order to fit exactly my pot.
does someone have the same sized pot so he can tell me the exact size of the bag?

i already saw the post about size of bag but my math are very poor...:P

ty guys in advance

Post #14 made 11 years ago
I measured the top of my kettle and then added a few inches. Did the same for the bottom and subtracted a few as I wanted the bottom
to be tapered like the pics above.. Then once I had it cut I "dry" fitted it in the pot to make sure it was all ok. I had material for 2 and my second one came out a little better. Once we sewed the banding on the top of the first one it was a little snug. It works but we made the second one a little wider to make up for this.

Hope this helps.
Robert

Post #15 made 11 years ago
Hey there George,

If you are working on the third design in the BIABrewer thread here then you need two pieces of material sewn together with each piece having a top of about 82 cms, a height of 48.5cm and a base of 34cms. You'll need to allow extra for the seams so maybe add another cm or so to all the above.

What you can do to test it before you sew, is pin the two shapes together and then put about 5kgs of uncracked grain in a large plastic bag. Put that in the pinned bag and then put all that into your kettle. If it fits okay with no bits being under pressure, then you should be good to go.

Let us know if the numbers above work for you.

:luck:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 07 Dec 2012, 19:46, edited 3 times in total.

Post #16 made 11 years ago
I thought I would share my first attempt at making a custom BIAB bag.

I found a web site that sell custom BIAB bags and thought the pics of what they were selling looked really strong, so I kind of followed the structure of that product. This is the web site for anyone that is interested.
http://custombiab.blogspot.com

I followed this forums size and shape suggestions for an easy bag design.
http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=37

After making this and looking back. The product being sold by the first web site is actually really good value. Especially now I know what material and effort goes into one of these bags. I'm sure their product would be a little neater then mine and I think it is a better shape. I cant vouch for it though, I haven't physically tested one. Others have raved about them (on other forums).

I enjoyed making this though. It took about 3 hours of fiddling around and that included some one who knew what she was doing with a sewing machine.

Here are some photos.
Last edited by BrewMitta on 09 Jan 2013, 16:10, edited 3 times in total.

Post #17 made 11 years ago
Can the voile be too fine? I'm just getting my "stuff" together now. Went to JoAnn's fabrics store yesterday and bought a yard of what looks like VERY fine material as compared to some of the other curtain material there. I guess it comes in very fine weaves to coarser. Also bought a bunch of that webbing shown above to either use for loops or handles.. or both.

I also splurged and bought a Blich$$$man 10G Boilermaker. It hasn't been delivered yet.. so, I'll either have to wait to have my wife build the bag.. or ask someone the size.. Blich$$$man doesn't seem to specify sizes in their product info.
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Post #18 made 11 years ago
HbgBill,

I used the voile that I bought at Joann's fabrics. I doubled the bag and reinforced the seams so that I wouldn't have a problem with big grain bills. The fabric drains quickly and the double layer doesn't seem to cause any problems. It is a pain to sew as I was told by (SWMBO) but the bag works great! The newer bag she created didn't have a draw string just four sturdy handles.
Last edited by BobBrews on 21 Feb 2013, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #19 made 11 years ago
Good Day, The density of the Voille or any other cloth is a choice of filtering vs. Drain time.

The better the filtering(finer Weave) means Slower draining and less Trub.

The faster draining(coarse Weave) means cloudy wort with flour and Husks and more trub.

The choices we have today is Overnight-Mashing, and Overnight-Draining.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #20 made 11 years ago
joshua wrote: The choices we have today is Overnight-Mashing, and Overnight-Draining.
Ha.. that is truly funny :lol:

Bob.. I'm going to ask my sweetie to do a bag similar to yours.. ie, no draw string with four loops plus handles. I haven't actually discussed it with her yet.. but, she is a great seamstress/quilter, so I'd guess things should turn out well. I may likely ask her to add binding tape.. or whatever it's called to all the side and bottom seams as a safety.. altho, I doubt there will be an issue.

I was surprised when I went to JoAnn's and the clerk just tore the edge to get a straight line rather than cutting it. She was either "Man mountain Diana" or the voile just tears easily once started.. she did use scissors to make the starting cut. Kinda like when I was young and buff and tore telephone books in half.
Last edited by HbgBill on 22 Feb 2013, 03:26, edited 2 times in total.
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Post #21 made 11 years ago
HbgBill wrote:Can the voile be too fine?
I don't think it can :scratch: . Most guys use the curtain voile and I think there is a limit on the density the weave can achieve. I thought the same as you when I bought mine but I read somewhere that if you sieve plain flour through it all but just a few large particles will pass through. I think this a PP comment :think:
Last edited by Yeasty on 22 Feb 2013, 07:14, edited 2 times in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #22 made 11 years ago
Gday Hbgbill,

Ive got 2 bags, one courser and one very fine, they both work great. The courser one is also a bit stronger so i use it when I am doing a big IPA which has more than 12kg of grain. The finer one would probably be ok, but why take the chance.

Im pretty sure the courser material is nylon while the other is polyester, ive never had any melting issues with either one, but I think the nylon has a lower melting point (from memory)

Post #24 made 11 years ago
Thought I would post some pictures of my bags my mother made. I have one of design #1 and three of design #2.

2nd Bag Design by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr
2nd design shows 2 black lines drawn in Microsoft Paint showing the new angle. Click on the
picture, then the hyperlink to get the dimensions.

3/16/2013 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr
Bag lifted after mash-out (27 pounds - dry weight). Squeeze in-place with pot lids.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 03 Apr 2013, 05:55, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 14 guests