Beersmith: what changes would you like to see?

Post #1 made 13 years ago
Brad is currently trying to get the new version of beersmith into beta, and responded to someone's suggestion of support for BIAB.

"How do you think this should be best implemented? I was thinking of a new option in the mash profile that would allow the sparge and mash water to be combined (i.e. a very high volume mash). Is this how you do it or do you usually mash with less water and add water during the boil?
Brad"

My response was (hope i'm right):
"There are a few methods.
* Most people simply use it as a full volume mash, no sparge or water added.
* Others do a high volume mash and sparge the bag.
* Some do a concentrated mash and add top up water for the boil (eg, if they are doing a RIS & their pot is too small for full volume with all that grain in there)

Brad if you're going to include something I can start a process of getting formal input from brewers in australia on variations, so you can have a clear picture of requirements.

I do have two mash profiles that someone shared with me:
BIAB full volume single infusion, medium body, no mashout.
BIAB full volume single infusion, medium body, mash out."

So i'm interested in getting input back to him about BIAB needs. What would you like to see? He says he still has time to make some changes.

Post #2 made 13 years ago
I'd like to see adjustment for grain absorption, since most biabbers have different techniques ( like squeezing or just hanging to drip etc) which affect the amount of wort retained by the grain and bag.
You may even be able to direct him to this site so he can have read through some stuff (if he has time :? )
Cheers
[center]"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/center]

[center]Homer Simpson[/center]
[center]K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.[/center]

Post #3 made 13 years ago
Nice to hear from you bcp :peace:,

I think the only thing that really needs to be done is for the mash and sparge figures to be added together. Everything else can be done from within Beersmith already I think.

I'm not sure if these averages that were collected over about 30 brews from ten brewers will help Brad but here they are...

Volume loss to grain absorption = 630 ml per kg
Efficiency into Boiler = 80.5%
End of Boil Efficiency = 77.9%
Efficiency into Fermenter = 67.7%
Average end of boil volume = 28.7 L
Average Grain Bill = 5954 g
Kettle Trub = 3.8 L
Fermenter Trub = 1.6 L
Brew Length = 24.2 L
Efficiency into Packaging = 63.0%

I'm not sure if any of these are useful though it would be nice to have at least the volume loss to grain absorption changed to the above default.

Good on you bcp and cheers,
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 13 years ago
I think one of the most important considerations should be whether the BIAB is full- volume or not (i.e. sparged). So, make what PP says about mash & sparge figures added together to be optional, not mandatory. It is possible though to fool/ bludgeon at least some existing software into dealing with a sparged BIAB, probably easier than full- volume.
Having said that, I'm not really a big fan of software for brewing in general, but I generally do only a handful of different styles using recipes and techniques with which I'm very familiar already, if I was doing it all over again I'd appreciate some decent BIAB- aware software. I certainly use the recipe formulation module in StrangeBrew2.0 quite a bit though, a dog though that it is!
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Return to “Measurement, Mathematics and Records”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests