Measuring volumes for a eKeggle

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Hi all. Sorry for lack of research but my searchings didn't really find anything specific enough.

I am building a keggle for a mate who wants to get into brewing with the idea of doing it as cheap as I can. Its looking pretty good and since I heard of a trub ring which wont work with my element I am thinking of building one for myself. Everything is nearly up and running but then I realised I don't know how to measure volumes in a keg. It may be just gas for starters but Im thinking of going electric since I found some really good elements. Then it will need a false bottom of sorts to keep the bag up. I use a normal pot atm and just measure the head space which couldnt be easier. I'm probably over thinking it since I can get very accurate with a ruler and biabicus. Im not keen on sight glasses either.

So how do I measure volumes in a keggle even with a false bottom thing?

If you are wondering what a trub ring is its basically a SS bowl with the bowl cut out to make a ring. As you start to see the trub in the bottom of the kettle at the end of transfer, you put in the ring with some tongs or something and it contains the last bit of trub meaning you can get more trubless wort. Works better with a hop sock and I think it would work very well with the curved bottom of a keg. Works well with an urn too which is where I saw it.

Cheers. :thumbs:
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #2 made 8 years ago
Sorry, I use a sight glass, I know my volume down to the millimeter in height.

If using gas, make sure your keg has holes at the bottom of the skirt, else it could explode. Mine has four evenly spaced holes. The holes are made by the manufacturer.

If your keggle is level and false bottom, just measure from the bottom up, assuming a straight side.

Determine the volume at the bottom's concave area, goes in Section X.

Height is seam to seam, just measure this on the outside keg wall, assuming a straight side.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Thanks Mad Scientist. Yep Ive already drilled the holes in the skirt. I will just have to calibrate it the old fashioned way with a measuring jug and take the false bottom into account or ill try seam to seam as well. I did notice though that the poly tube sight glasses (I think thats what you are using) are alot cheaper than the heavy duty ones. I dont think they where around last time I was looking. I might have to rethink it as an option. Ill be using your bag design too ;)

Cheers.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Return to “Measurement, Mathematics and Records”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests