BIABacus Estimate Efficiency

Post #1 made 8 years ago
How accurate are the estimated efficiency numbers?

I've brewed 4 beers so far and I've been fairly close to the estimated numbers in each of the brews so far. I've made beers from about 1.040 to 1.060 in OG. Right now I'm working on a Tripel recipe which is much bigger OG (going for 1.085 or so) and grain bill than I have done before. From what I understand, BIABacus adjusts estimated efficiency depending on some factors. In this case, efficiency went down and I'm assuming due to grain amount and possible mash thickness.

In reality, will I see the efficiency drop predicted? I suppose worst case, if I plan on the drop and it doesn't happen then I can top off with a little water if I want to hit OG...or just end up with more ABV.

Thanks,
Shu

Post #2 made 8 years ago
For me the BIABacus has been spot on for every single brew. I have brewed from 1.044 to 1.094, and if anything I am over by a few points.

Make sure you mark the simple sugar (I assume you are using candi sugar or something) with "B" for boil only, as it will recalculate your efficiency for any fermentables that are not in the mash.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Also, ... if you want to add water to improve efficiency just increase the boil time. Not what you were asking, but it's an option if you have the kettle space.

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Rick wrote:Also, ... if you want to add water to improve efficiency just increase the boil time. Not what you were asking, but it's an option if you have the kettle space.
Yeah, that is part of my problem...I'm already trying to maximize my VIF by adding some water pre-boil via full volume variation. My kettle is only 5.5 gallons so a large grain bill takes up a lot of space for the mash. There's only so much grain I could fit without having a really thick mash. As it stands, I'm about 1.5 qt/lb mash thickness.

I do have the candi sugar marked as "B" so it does handle that properly. I'll brew this batch next chance I get and see how it works out.
Last edited by Shumanfoo on 15 Oct 2015, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post #5 made 8 years ago
Keep pushing the limits of your system, if you go too far the BIABacus will let you know with a red message. At a certain point, you either have to upgrade equipment, or end up settling with less VIF for some recipes. Nature of the beast, but right now you will probably have success with the estimated efficiency.

Post #6 made 8 years ago
Shumanfoo - I will just mention it in case....
Have you modified the extract potential for the candi sugar (Section Y)?
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #7 made 8 years ago
mally wrote:Shumanfoo - I will just mention it in case....
Have you modified the extract potential for the candi sugar (Section Y)?
Hi Mally

Would you enter 100% in FGDB and 0% in MC?

I'm brewing one too and i'm not sure how to do it.
Last edited by rickoles on 15 Oct 2015, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #8 made 8 years ago
Rickoles - I would if it were cane sugar that hadn't been opened (They tend to be hygroscopic)!
Corn sugar, or other forms that have some moisture would have to be either adjusted/calculated/guessed at accordingly too as they will all have their own extract potential.

Thinking aloud - I would guess the best way to quantify would be to make a solution and measure the gravity....

Or just throw it in and see :lol:
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Return to “Measurement, Mathematics and Records”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 11 guests