BIABacus - a few questions

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Hi

Not sure if this is the right area for it but I've been looking at the BIABacus in preparation for my first BIAB and I had a few questions.

I've just got a new kettle, a 19L kettle and I was planning on doing a mini-BIAB using the recipe American Pale Ale - NRB's All Amarillo APA.

To check a few things with the kettle I put in 12.10L of water as per the BIABacus TWN reading and I measured with a ruler and heated it up to strike temp and then onto a full boil which I left going for 30 mins to get an idea of evaporation rate.

Based on the above I had a few questions about the BIABacus I was hoping someone could help me with.

1. I worked out the evaporation rate I was getting was 2 Litres/Hour (which seemed like a lot less than the default BIABacus setting) - if I put this into section X then in section K some of my 'estimated volumes' change, I would have thought that if I change the evaporation rate the Volume at Flame-Out (VFO) figure would also change but it doesn't. Why not?

2. Sections S (Kettle Height) and T (Kettle Headspace) - there are 8 values in each section showing cm and inches, I understand what kettle height and headspace refer to (ie, useful for measuring liquid volume in the kettle) but what do these 8 rows refer to and what am I supposed to do with them (if anything)?
for example, the Kettle Headspace values say:
10cm
9.7cm
8.2cm
10.7cm
-6.4cm
... etc

So what do these represent, some sort of volume but which/what?

3. I read something in a post saying you should measure and enter your headspace value in section V but at what point do I do this?

Thanks

Post #2 made 8 years ago
Chesl73, I think I can answer #1 for you. You entered you desired volume onto fermentor, the BIABacus the manages your numbers to keep this final figure. I expect that if you look you will see that your TWN is changing as you adjust the evaporation numbers. I hope that helps.
AWOL

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Sections S and T refer to your Section K volumes, follow your eye across the dotted lines to see your predicted volume for that step.

Use Section V for your Section L, and then that will help you to determine your efficiency

Reducing your evaporation rate changes everything above the flameout volumes. Flameout remains fixed as calculations are figuring your VIF.

Be sure to boil with the lid off. Seems you should have a higher boil off rate.

MS

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Measurement, Mathematics and Records”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests