How much water

Post #1 made 8 years ago
I intend to do a Bag End Bitter from this recipe:-

http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=7 ... ter#p19754

The recipe States "Water Required 8.44 gal (which is probably US Gallons) and Volume into Fermenter = 5.25 gal = 19.87 Litres

but when I enter the recipe on the BIABacus it states "Total Water Needed (TWN) 29.83 Litres = 7.88 Gals and (Hot) Strike Water Needed (SWN) 30.42 Litres = 8.04 Gals

My Question is Do I put 8.44 Gals or 7.88 Gals into the boiler?
Do I follow the recipe or the BIABacus?
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 8 years ago
Phillip, All I can Say is the April 2012 recipe was Before the BIABACUS time.

Some say his recipe may be "Low Integrity".

So I would go with your BIABACUS data, since it has proven to very Accurate with it's Numbers.

JMHO
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Thank you for your reply.

I'll use the BIABacus and not the recipe amounts then.
I'm still a bit confused over which of the two amounts below to use.

The BIABacus states "Total Water Needed (TWN) 29.83 Litres = 7.88 Gals and (Hot) Strike Water Needed (SWN) 30.42 Litres = 8.04 Gals

My Question is Do I put 8.44 Gals or 7.88 Gals into the boiler?

Post #4 made 8 years ago
The TWN is the amount of water minus the Expected water with held in the grains.

The SWN is the what goes in to boiler.

It is a bit Confusing
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 8 years ago
Philip...

TWN goes into the boiler... SWN is the volume of TWN when the water is at strike temps (or when the water is heated to mash temps in effect). Joshua... I'm sure this was just an oversight on your part... you're an old timer around here. :idiot:

Philip... I recommend you read Clear Brewing Terminology for more info. I really believe it will benefit your understanding of the brewing process in general.

Happy Brewing!

Jeff
Last edited by safebrew222 on 13 Sep 2015, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 made 8 years ago
Thank you both for your replies.

So TWN is what I put into the boiler.
I've read the terminology and it sais SWN is 2% more than TWN because water swells when it is heated.

I made a mistake on the brew I have just completed (My first brew). I put SWN amount into the boiler which is 0.59 Litres to much.

My Pre Boil gravity reading @ 58 degrees Celcius was 1.014 and when it cooled to 19.7 degrees celcius it was 1.032

Do you think these gravity readings are OK?

Post #7 made 8 years ago
Philip321 wrote:Thank you both for your replies.

So TWN is what I put into the boiler.
I've read the terminology and it sais SWN is 2% more than TWN because water swells when it is heated.

I made a mistake on the brew I have just completed (My first brew). I put SWN amount into the boiler which is 0.59 Litres to much.

My Pre Boil gravity reading @ 58 degrees Celcius was 1.014 and when it cooled to 19.7 degrees celcius it was 1.032

Do you think these gravity readings are OK?
Don't take any gravity readings at 58 degrees. The hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate at those temps, even when correction is applied. I always take a sample and cool it in a glass in an ice bath to check pre boil gravity at about 19C, then return it to the boil. Remember gravity readings mean nothing without volume readings when calculating efficiencies. Post your BIABicus, it'll make it easier to help you.
Last edited by safebrew222 on 14 Sep 2015, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Measurement, Mathematics and Records”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 14 guests