Post #2 made 8 years ago
Good Day, It may be better to determine the Moisture Content (MC) of the grains and enter those numbers in Section 'Y'.

Or "make Up" MC data, if your in a Humid part of the World.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Version T is the latest of BIABacus. With version T, there is a 0.04 setting in Section X that is being used "just to balance" the grain absorption from a previous version.

In my attached example I have it set it to 0.373 which more closely matches default. Default represents 0.6 l/kg [BIAB] of hot liquor retained by grain. If you squeeze your grain bag a lot (I use two pot lids) then I found the value is 0.51 l/kg. In the attached example you would need to lower the number to 0.285.

MS
BIABacus PR1.3T - Mad Scientist - example of grain absorption.xls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 19 Jul 2015, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Thanks MS for taking the time with this, it was useful to see your xls.

I squeeze pretty hard, bag on a rack on top of the kettle and use the kettle lid, then into a colander where I squeeze some more so I'm closer to 0.5l/kg it seems than the defaults.

I brewed my Brown Ale yesterday, first batch using the BIABacus, and hit my pre-boil and gravity of ambient wort (GAW) numbers on the dot: 1.046 and 1.056 respectively, exactly as estimated by the BIABacus, so that was satisfying. Only opened BeerSmith to use the hop aging tool to adjust my AA% figures as my hops are a little old.

Return to “Measurement, Mathematics and Records”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 22 guests