Measurements for Craftbrewer 70L kettle?

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi guys,

Does anyone with a Craftbrewer 70 litre kettle (45cm x 45cm) have their water level measurements written down somewhere? I.e. As an example, If the kettle has 44L in it, what's the distance from the rim to the water surface?

Just trying to save myself some time on brew days. I wrote down the measurement on the last brew but must have misplaced it unfortunately! If anyone is keen to help start a register that would be great! I have a carbon filter for my hose from a caravan/RV, so with someone holding a ruler, my aim is I can just fill it up in a couple of minutes, rather than measuring out the water amounts every time. (I have 20L, 15L and 2L measured out on buckets, but this will be much quicker).

Thank you.

Nicko
P.s. Zombie Dust clone tomorrow.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #2 made 9 years ago
I can't help you with your particular pot Nicko, but what I did is create a spreadsheet and used a formula to generate height of liquid & headspace (similar to what the BIABacus does). Put simply, volume of a cylinder (Pi X radius squared X height).
However, I can then generate a range of volumes from it & print out a single page so that whenever I am brewing I have access to quick volumes (I don't have electronic devices with me on brew day).

This only works on straight sided & flat bottomed pots. If they are not you would have to be nice to Pat and see if he could help with the equations :pray:
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Great point Mally, I found a volume calculation website and it works brilliantly! I might do a little table up though to help folks quickly work out the measurement. This kettle is fairly popular over here, so it will save some time crunching figures on the net!

thanks mate!
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Guys if you already use BIABacus on your brew day and have your urn dimensions set up, you can take your volume measurement, type it in and it's will convert the volumes for you. It works for either headspace or if measuring from the bottom of your urn. :thumbs:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 9 years ago
Absolutely Bundy... However,
mally wrote:(I don't have electronic devices with me on brew day).
Difficult if you are a brewday Luddite like me. Fine if you are a Yuppie :lol:
Last edited by mally on 22 Nov 2014, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #6 made 9 years ago
:lol: Fair call

I salvaged an old laptop from the scrap heap, it's as slow as a dog, runs a cut down version of xp, but It happily lives in my garage where I brew, just so I can have the BIABacus handy.

And surf the web whilst I'm enjoying a beer
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #8 made 9 years ago
Contrarian wrote:I have the craftbrewer pot as well and do all my volumes with a ruler. All you need to know is that 1cm is about 1.6 litres. You can get close enough in your head that it won't make a difference to the final product.

The BIABacus gives you your strike volume so it should be fairly straight forward from there.

Ah lovely, thank you gents, I'm still in my BIABacus infancy, so haven't even noticed the headspace part! PP will throw rocks at me! :lol: will let you all know how the recipe goes!
Last edited by nicko on 22 Nov 2014, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post #9 made 9 years ago
Not that there's anything wrong with using a ruler, but it's really easy to chemically etch measurement marks on the inside of your kettle using a 9v battery, a vinegar/salt solution and a Q-tip. I filled my kettle a quarter gallon at a time (use the measurevent of your choice, obviously), then marked each level with a grease pencil, then etched them. Now I've got built in lines for not only filling, but taking in-process measurements during my brew day as well. The etching is permanent, but not deep enough to harbor any yuckies. There's at least one great threat about it around here, although I can't find it right now. Just an idea!

Measurements for Craftbrewer 70L kettle?

Post #10 made 9 years ago
nicko wrote:
Contrarian wrote:I have the craftbrewer pot as well and do all my volumes with a ruler. All you need to know is that 1cm is about 1.6 litres. You can get close enough in your head that it won't make a difference to the final product.

The BIABacus gives you your strike volume so it should be fairly straight forward from there.

Ah lovely, thank you gents, I'm still in my BIABacus infancy, so haven't even noticed the headspace part! PP will throw rocks at me! :lol: will let you all know how the recipe goes!
Have a look at section 'S' and 'T' which cover fill height and headspace, even if you don't have the file available in the brewery you can write some key figures down and use math to figure out the rest! Very handy tool the BIABacus!
Last edited by Contrarian on 23 Nov 2014, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Measurement, Mathematics and Records”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests