storing no-chill cubes

Post #1 made 13 years ago
question to all you no-chillers:
how do you store your fermented wort?
I mean, what temperature is acceptable for storing wort in a no chill cube?
as summer is approaching the temps around here are moving toward the 30's and even in my celler i'm expecting at least 28-29C in July.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #2 made 13 years ago
I store them in my underhouse area. Temp ranges from 6-16C in winter and up to about 22C in summer

I have 2 400L fridges for fermenting/cold storage and depending I might have kegs or cubes in the available fridge (the one without a heat source)
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #3 made 13 years ago
I put my (hot) cube in the house in winter. I can heat a small room, why waste the heat? In summer the cube stays in the garage the air-conditioning works hard enough! Cooled cubes rarely sit long. 90% of the time I use the wort within two days. I haven't waited more than a week yet. I move the cube to my work area to stabilize temperatures with my yeast starter or yeast cake. I normally drain most everything from my keggel into the cube. I have so much trub and hop matter that I don't feel comfortable waiting to long. Someday I may try a hop sack and whirlpooling to reduce trub to try an extended store of wort?
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 13 years ago
well, i usually don't store my cubes long either. I usually let it cool and transfer to a FV and pitch.
the problem is that i currently have four full kegs and around 50+ bottles of beer i'd like to store cool in preparation for a local fest in July and a few weddings at the end of the summer. so my two fridges are tied up.
if i don't store wort in cubes, i have to go ahead and ferment it, therefore taking some beer out of the fridge to warm up to room temp for a few weeks.
i guess it's a trade off between keeping warm wort or warm beer until i free up some fridge space.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
to be brewed:

Post #5 made 13 years ago
Too much beer. What a problem? The only thing that may work is if you have the room? Place the cubes in a children's pool with towels over them. The towels must droop into the water and the evaporation will cool the cubes. This may not be worth the time or effort but I have use this method successfully to cool fermenting beer. Good luck with your problem with having too much beer!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #6 made 13 years ago
I've stored cubes for up to 4 months so far, with no problems that I could tell
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda

5/7/12

Post #7 made 13 years ago
stux wrote:I've stored cubes for up to 4 months so far, with no problems that I could tell
at what temp?
Last edited by shibolet on 20 Jun 2011, 21:46, edited 5 times in total.
Cube:
to be brewed:

Post #8 made 13 years ago
In my underhouse area

Generally between 12 and 20C

5/7/12

Post #9 made 12 years ago
Sorry, I got lazy trying to search and settled on this thread. Hope this is related enough:
thughes suggested to lay the cube on it's side so that all the crap settles and you can just open the spout and drain the cleared wort into the fermenter. I have not yet tried the no-chill method. My question is this:
What if I want to let these cubes sit in a cool area but need to carry a cube to a different area to transfer into the fermenter? Will it cloud up again? Or is it similar to a packed-down yeast cake and will stay clear?

Post #11 made 12 years ago
When filling your cubes, fill them as much as you can, then squeeze out as much air as you can and lay them on their side to pasteurize the lid/handle area etc

10-20 mins later or whenever if it's still hot and you remeber, flip it onto the other side

The next day put it right side up and move it into a cool shady location (in doors even!)

It will settle just fine, trub will form and bed down. It's relatively firm but try not to shake up the cube when you move it. It will settle again quickly anyway

When you pour your wort in you really don't need to use a siphon, you can just decant the clear wort off the trub until the wort runs cloudy

5/7/12

Post #12 made 9 years ago
Hi, this thread has been dormant for ages but does cubing enhance flavour or anything in the beer? Obviously it's not fermented yet...
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #13 made 9 years ago
Niclo,

Some say that time makes it better? My experience is that there is a slight lessening of flavor (After 8 months) But normally if you store un-fermented wort for a few months the flavor is just about the same. I just recorded a podcast on the subject. It will be on BBR site in July 2014.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio
Last edited by BobBrews on 25 Jun 2014, 21:36, edited 5 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #15 made 9 years ago
I was just listening to Bob on the episode that compared two cubes one aged 4 months, one fermented after a day. Great show. Another question is how long has someone stored a cube that has been cube hopped for?

Post #16 made 9 years ago
I plan to test this out myself. I brew hoppy ales exclusively at this point, and wonder myself how late addition contributions will fare over long periods of storage in the cube.

I suppose increased dry hopping during fermentation can make up for it in a sense, but it really won't be the same.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #17 made 9 years ago
Rick.
Rick wrote:I plan to test this out myself. I brew hoppy ales exclusively at this point, and wonder myself how late addition contributions will fare over long periods of storage in the cube.

I suppose increased dry hopping during fermentation can make up for it in a sense, but it really won't be the same.
This is the hopping schedule for the BBR podcast in July'ish? 2014.
90 minute boil.

1 Ounce (28 G) Simco 90 min. FWH Loose in wort while wort rises to boil.
1 Ounce (28 G) Amarillo 10 Min (in hop spider) hop sack
1 Ounce (28 G) Amarillo 05 Min (in hop spider)
1 Ounce (28 G) Amarillo 00 Min (in hop spider) Pulled hop sack after 5 minute rest and squeezed.

I did not dry hop as usual because it might mask the taste of the late hopping.

September 2013 8 Months in cube Raw un-fermented wort.
February 2014 4 Months in cube Raw un-fermented wort.
May 2014 2 Days in cube Raw un-fermented wort.

May 11th 2014 Fermented all three side by side with a big starter split 3 ways.

I am drinking the "Botulism beer" as I type. :drink:

With the exception of the "deleted" dry hopping. Is this experiment close to what you will try?
Bot-ul-ism.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BobBrews on 02 Jul 2014, 20:16, edited 5 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #18 made 9 years ago
Yup, that's pretty much exactly it. I'll dry hop as usual with a recipe I'm familiar with .. and see if I need to add more hops to make up for the next cube in the queue ... ... queuebe? (I'll see myself out :D)

I don't think actual IBU's would be affected much within this time frame, I'm going to be focused on the differences of aromas and flavor.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #19 made 9 years ago
This is really interesting Bob and a great photo! I'll have a listen to the pod cast this weekend.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #20 made 9 years ago
nicko,

The show is not posted yet. They recorded 5 shows so I don't know the order they will be published. You can go back to 2012 and 2013 (in July) to listen to some other no-chill shows. I hope it will be on the internet soon because I don't remember much from those 3 days?
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #21 made 9 years ago
Thanks Bob, but basically no chill is a proven legitimate method? Learning more about hop characteristics over the months would be very interesting.

Post #23 made 9 years ago
BobBrews wrote:Niclo,

Some say that time makes it better? My experience is that there is a slight lessening of flavor (After 8 months) But normally if you store un-fermented wort for a few months the flavor is just about the same. I just recorded a podcast on the subject. It will be on BBR site in July 2014.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio
I listened to the podcast, it was really interesting thanks Bob!
Last edited by nicko on 05 Aug 2014, 09:01, edited 5 times in total.

Post #24 made 9 years ago
I couldn't find the thread where we were discussing the colour difference in the pic above but I just pitched a Kolsch that I brewed exactly a year ago and it is dark as well. In fact, the colour difference would be about the same as in Bob's pic. I've never noticed it before even with lagers but this kolsch colour really stood out. I'll see if it is as noticeable after fermenting. A few guys here had the other half of this kolsch which was pitched straight away and they will remember that the colour was pretty much straw not the orange this half looks. Spooky!
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Chilling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests