15 min hop additions and no-chill?

Post #1 made 8 years ago
I know this topic gets discussed widely on all brewing forums but I just wanted to get a second opinion on hop additions for a no-chill clone I'm doing of Fullers 1845 Ale.

The recipe aims for 50IBU roughly, of which 40 IBU come from the 60 minute addition and 10 from a 15 minute addition.

In translating this to a no-chill scenario, I'm thinking of leaving the 60 minute addition as it is, but changing the 15 minute addition to flame-out and leaving to stand for 20 minutes before pulling the hop bag.

Does this sound a reasonable approach to dealing with a 15 minute addition?

There's a well-known chart out on the homebrewtalk forums that would have me replace the 15 minute addition with a first-wort hop addition (but changing the amount to the equivalent of what would give me my 10 IBU's at 30 mins) but I feel more inclined to keep it as a late, flameout addition, but not transfer to the cube.

Any clues appreciated...

Post #2 made 8 years ago
Rsandilands, the chart I think your referring to, shows the 15 and 20 minute additions will give you 30 IBU as FirstWortHopping(FWH).

Chart at http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=475204.

Changing to 15 minute addition to Flameout for 20 minutes "Should Not" Change the IBU, but "Should" increase Flavor.

The quotes are because this depends on how quickly the Wort cools to 154F, the point Bitterness is no longer polymerized.

First-Wort-Hopping is a different discussion.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Joshua,
Did you mean isomerized (isomerised) instead of polymerized? Humulone / isohumulone is one such example of the rearrangement (at temperatures above 154 degrees F). Same molecular formula and weight but the different structure arises by bonds shifting as opposed to "polymerize" where the monomers link together adding to the total formula each time.

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Shorepoints, the ISO would be the single Connections to the Proteins in the wort, where Poly would be multi Connections while the Boil was running.
When the temperature are below 208F, there is not enough energy to make Multiple connections, but as long as the temperature is above 154F, there is enough, to make single connections. This is why FWH, as well, as "Hop-standing" make a smooth bitterness and help increase Flavor Components attach to the carbohydrates in the Wort.

Of Course, JMHO, YMMV.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #5 made 8 years ago
rsandilands wrote:Does this sound a reasonable approach to dealing with a 15 minute addition?
The short answer is, "No."

We know the well-known chart and unfortunately this is one of those things that lead people away from being educated into asking the right questions. When copying a recipe, one of the most critical things is knowing the chilling methods and timings used by the original brewer. No software, apart from the BIABacus, allows "fields" for the management of later hop additions and it is the management and the timing (not the calculated IBU's) that is critical with these hop additions.

Have a read of Chilling Myths - Asking the Right Questions and then come back with more questions. I wrote that thread a while ago, don't have time to re-read it now but am sure that it will be of immediate help.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 08 Aug 2015, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Chilling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 14 guests