When to use IC

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Have been doing some poking around trying to answer the following without much luck..

Using the copper coil immersion chiller at the end of the boil in the pot or draining the pot to the FV and chilling in the FV.

Using the IC in the pot no only disturbs the trub cone after whirlpool but I have also read that cooling the wort in the boil kettle allows the proteins in the hot break to dissolve back into the wort... Should I drain into the FV and chill there ?

Cheers

:think:

Post #2 made 9 years ago
I suppose you could transfer and cool in the FV, if it's made of a proper material that can stand the heat.

Do you have any source material on the hot break point?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
timfuller,
I have also read that cooling the wort in the boil kettle allows the proteins in the hot break to dissolve back into the wort..
I have never read that. I bet it's just a "I wonder if supposition?" I have IC'ed in the past and now only no-chill. My beer (if in style) is as clear or clearer and anyone's. So, since my beer slowly cools than the proteins should be back into my wort? Not a chance! Cold break forms at about 140F. The Irish moss (or whatever) and the 140F cold break clears my beer perfectly.

If you like to use a copper coil or now a stainless steel coil, than do so. If you want to use no-chill and not use the IC than do so. The beer will be clear as long as the proteins are broken up by a long and vigorous boil and proper pH values. :thumbs:
Last edited by BobBrews on 26 Jun 2014, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Chilling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 13 guests