Newbie with a cople of questions

Post #1 made 13 years ago
Hi there, I was hoping to move on from kits and try a BIAB this weekend I have an electric boiler that holds around 27ltrs so it looks like i'll be going down the maxi-biab route.I bought this recipe kit

Pale Malt (Maris Otter) (grams) 4440
Crystal Malt (grams) 495
Black Malt (grams) 20

Start of Boil
Goldings Hops (grams) 23
Fuggle Hops (grams) 23

Last Ten Minutes of Boil
Goldings Hops (grams) 8
Fuggle Hops (grams) 8

1 x Protafloc last 15 mins of Boil
1 pack of S-04 yeast.

Alcohol content (ABV) 4.8%

So I understand I need to use the calculator which seems excellent but forgive me if i'm wrong doesn't seem to cover everything.I'm not sure how much water to heat at the beginning or what the strike temp should be, I thought the kit might come with instructions but it's just the ingredients.

Can anyone help me get started?

Cheers

Post #2 made 13 years ago
G'day wooderson and welcome tyo the forum.
I just had a look at the calculator, and once you have entered in the required details (ie the red figures) the cell B20 will give you the water required for the brew.
Now I'll put a disclaimer in now, I am no expert in the use of the biabrewer calculator (sorry pat & pistolpatch :dunno: )

However with my limited memory, since your boiler holds 27L, I would think you you would put around 23L of strike water (I usually aim about 3 degrees higher than desired mash temp.) then add grains. Keep a note of how much water has been added.
Once you have added grains, top boiler up to a comfortable level (allow room for lifting bag, when you lift the bag some liquor will rise with the bag and be displaced to the sides)
Once the mash has finished, lift the bag and place it in a bucket/container, start bringing the wort to boil and from your volume in cell b20 deduct the volume you have already added to the mash, and that will give you the volume of water (@ around 78 deg C) you need to add to the bucket/container. You have now sparged.
Let the grains drain a bit and add sparge liqour to boil as you are able to. ie when you have enough room in the boiler, without overflow.
If you are unsure about you recipe and how tou convert it applicably, post in this thread and someone with more knowlege on th calculator will help you. Be sure to post your recipe, pot diameter expected gravity and original effecincies and links to source recipe etc.
I hope this helps, and good luck with your first biab. I'm sure you wont be dissapointed :thumbs:
Cheers wiz :salute:
Last edited by wizard78 on 26 Mar 2011, 22:46, edited 5 times in total.
[center]"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/center]

[center]Homer Simpson[/center]
[center]K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.[/center]

Post #3 made 13 years ago
Has wiz got you sorted with The Calculator Woods?

dick also did a very good post totally relevant to your question here. This will help with the Maxi-BIAB side of things.
:luck:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 29 Mar 2011, 18:58, edited 5 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 13 years ago
G'day Wooderson

PP beat me to it but yeah, have a read of that post. You probably want to start with 19-20 litres of strike water and with that kind of liquor to grain ratio you want the strike temperature to be 3-4 degrees higher than the mash temperature. Don't make it too hard for yourself the first time you do BIAB by having the boiler too full. You can always start with a bit more water next time.

During your boil you probably want to add some more water by boiling the kettle. It depends on what your target final volume is (you didn't tell us) so I can't be more specific. If you want to you can do a little batch sparge like I mention in the other post.

Looks like a nice recipe. I love making English bitters, milds, brown ales, porters etc, etc. Be sure to let us all know how it goes. :thumbs:

Cheers
Dick

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 65 guests