BIABacus Help

Post #1 made 6 years ago
Hey guys,

I have a Rye Brown Ale recipe that I would like to make for my first BIAB. I have some questions on the BIABacus excel file. I wasn't sure on the EBC (section C), volume of ambient wort or the AA% of my hops (section D), and If Grain is...(Section E) fields. How is EBC calculated? How do you determine the AA% (I took an avg figure found on the internet)?

I'm assuming these might be connected to getting my IBUs because at the moment my IBUs is listed as 300+, should be 27.5. Obviously not correct.

If someone could review my attached file to confirm if I'm on the right track that would be super.

Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BIABacus Help

Post #2 made 6 years ago
Hi Nick,
I hope my short answer helpful.
EBC is the Lovibond value of your malt multiplied by 1.97. Lovibond value should be stated on the label if your malt is prepackaged, or in a home brew supply catalog, or the maltster's website.
Crystal malt is easy to determine as in C60. 60L X 1.97 = 118.2 EBC
Chocolate malt needs to be more specific. These malts range from 200 to 500L.

Section D: Enter Desired IBU value.

Original Hop Bill: Are the correct gram values stated?
Substitutions: Enter the AA% of the Zeus and Willamette hops you will be using and the BIABACUS will determine the amount you will need.
These adjustments should get you closer to a working recipe.
Good Luck
Bob
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 6 years ago
Hi Bob!

Thank you so much for the quick reply! Your answers were super helpful.

Coming from extract brewing I never had to consider Lovibond values. Based on your feedback I did some research on it - love learning all the new aspects of AG. I don't have my malts yet so I took some Lovibond values I found on maltster's websites as placeholder until I purchase mine.

Section D - That was easy. Haha!<br/>

Original Hop Bill: Are the correct gram values stated?
I found my recipe here - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/five-aweso ... cipes.html (Brown ale listed 4th). Re-reading it the hop additions it is actually .5 ounces each. I can see why you were questioning that.

I made the adjustment in the files, and re-attached the file. There are a number of fields that I haven't completed . Basically sections J-R. Are these to be completed during brew or post brew?

Do I have this thing completed or at a point that I'm good to brew?

Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #4 made 6 years ago
Hi Nick,
Sections J thru R can be used after you brew. You can print a recipe report and create a check list (extreme right side of biabacus).
I find these two items keep my brew day organized. Keeping notes to complete Sections J thru R will help evaluate your brew process.
Refer to the Clear Brewing Terminology section of this site.
There are threads on this site that discuss the integrity of a recipe.
Three good sources for recipes that have integrity are The recipe section of this website and BREWING CLASSIC STYLES by Jamil Zainasheff and John J. Palmer or MODERN HOME BREW RECIPES by Gordon Strong.

Cheers!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 68 guests