no chill without a cube.

Post #1 made 6 years ago
I just posted in the "I`m thinking of buying a" thread about kettle size. The pot I`m going to buy is 50l and wont fit in my sink for cooling
and one of the replies got me thinking.

"I've been reading that some brewers just put a sanitized towel on their kettle and a lid and let it sit overnight to cool to pitching temperature"

What about just using my fermenter as a no chill cube? it`s fairly well sealed, just chuck the hot wort in let it cool over night and pitch.
sure the head space will contain air, but that's no different from cooling and pitching. it would be just like an extra long delay before the yeast starts to do it`s thing. While writing this I realized my fermenter will fit into my sink.

Re: no chill without a cube.

Post #2 made 6 years ago
Hey Clackers, here's some study material

http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54

There's a ton of information here. Some people swear by chilling in a cube over a long period of time, some in a cube just while the wort cools then going into a FV, and others just cover the kettle and let the wort cool over night, then transfer to the FV. After my research, I've decided that the next batch (coming to a post near you soon!), I'm going to just cover my kettle with a sanitized towel and the lid and let it go overnight. I saw somewhere while researching this that wild yeasts don't just crawl up under the lid to impregnate the wort with their deviant DNA - they just float in the air. I'll bet bugs could get in the wort and contaminate it however, thus the lid and sterilized towel. I'll probably tie a small rope around the towel just to assuage my angst about bugs. But I'm really not too worried.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Re: no chill without a cube.

Post #3 made 6 years ago
Clackers - also see http://biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=50 the Chilling section of the Forum. It includes the thread mentioned by Streamer and has even more info.
There are some who avoid putting hot liquids in plastic of any kind and there are those who do it all the time. It's your choice.

I have clipped a sanitized cloth across the top of the kettle after Flame Out. Then i let it cool to a point where I could safely move it to where it could sit overnight and cool down to pitching temperature. I did not use the lid on top of the cloth. I transferred to the primary fermenter, aerated and pitched yeast without problems.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 70 guests