Help with recipe from the "Beer Craft" book

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi everyone, this will be my second BIAB batch and I am pretty pumped. I picked up William Bostwick and Jessi Rymill's "Beer Craft" book and it has been pretty helpful....except for when it comes to sparging. I want to make the recipe for the Saison that is in the books and have all the ingredients ready to go. They are as follows for a 1 gallon BIAB batch:

2lbs 4oz Pilsner Malt
4oz Wheat Malt
2oz Vienna Malt

5 quarts of strike water to 156F for a mash temperature of 146F for a 60 minute mash.

The hops on both ends are Hallertau and they add 3oz of white table sugar 45 minutes into the boil. I plan to add 2oz of Kasha (I hear it gives a nutty and sour flavour which I like) with the rest of the mash and also some lavender flowers, orange peel and black pepper with about 10-15 minutes left in the boil. For yeast I will be using Danstar Belle Saison so if anyone has advice for that please let me know.

In their book, sparging is only describes as dunking the bag in fresh hot water (a separate kettle) for a few minutes and then adding those second runnings to the first runnings.

If anyone has any tips how to do this or knows of a better way (full volume wort perhaps) I would love to be pointed in the best direction. Also, if anyone has any recipe tips for me in general I'd appreciate it as well. Thank you all!

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Also, go full volume, skip the dunk sparge. Since you are doing single gallon batches, consider doing the recipe as written in regards to the kasha. Keep your variables rto a .
:luck:
Trout
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Thanks guys. I WANT to use the Biabacus for this but as of now I don't have a program on my computer (actually my girlfriend's computer...I am fairly low tech) that will allow me to open it. That situation is one I hope to rectify soon so I can use the Biabacus.

To 2Trout: Thank you for the advice. I would otherwise skip the kasha in it however the recipe book suggests adding 1oz-6oz of spelt/kasha/other grains to give the beer that farmhouse flavour. I may skip the lavender, pepper and orange peel. BUT....do you have any non-Biabacus tips for going full volume? Is it something like 1-1/4 quarts of strike water per pound and 1/2 gallon strike water per pound for sparging (which I assume with FVW I can ignore)?.

Post #5 made 9 years ago
I don't have a program on my computer (actually my girlfriend's computer...I am fairly low tech) that will allow me to open it

I believe that there is open source free software that will run BIACacus, though others will be more informed on this than I.

Since the kasha was somthing directly mentioned in the recipe, go for it.

You can find grain absorption rate here http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?t=1066 So no need to take into account sparage water, just the amout of water absorbed by the grain, and any trub loss you may have.

trout
Last edited by 2trout on 01 Dec 2014, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 54 guests