2nd BIAB Attempt-Diff Recipe And Other Questions

Post #1 made 10 years ago
I'd like to do an Oatmeal Stout. I have a recipe from HBT that I've made slight changes to. My questions are about Mashing. Provided is the spreadsheet as I have gotten so far.

My question/comment is.. With my last communication PP mentioned that I could/should forget about Sparging. That is something I would like to hold on to.. at least for the next run or two of BIAB. Not to be obstinate.. just how I'd like to go for the moment.

So, the question is about filling in Part E. Mashing Instructions.
My plan is to mash in 2 steps as suggested by Firestone Walker Brewery.
I'd like to mash with 2 qts/lb of grain (1.9L/454g.. hope I got that right) at a temperature of 156*F (69*C) for 30 min. Then raise the temp slightly to 159*F (70.5C)

As can be seen in the red highlighted note in Part B.. the volume approaches the volume of the kettle. I'm assuming this is assuming a full volume mash. How do I enter this so the spreadsheet is only seeing 1.9L/454g in Part E. Also, how do I handle the double mash temps in Part E..?

Thanks for helping.... Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Post #2 made 10 years ago
Bill,
My question/comment is.. With my last communication PP mentioned that I could/should forget about Sparging. That is something I would like to hold on to.. at least for the next run or two of BIAB. Not to be obstinate.. just how I'd like to go for the moment.
No problem with sparging if you want to do it. That's the spirit of BIAB. Doing it your way! The natural instinct of most brewers is to wash every last drop of sweet goodness out of the grain. It is not necessary to do that in reality but, "If you feel the need to do it? Do it!"

If you calculate the extra sugars you get back (over time) it can add up to a extra glass or two of beer? Who would turn down a glass of beer? Not me!

I cannot help you with the BIABacus question (I am to lazy to use it) Someone else will help you there. Good brewing to you!
Last edited by BobBrews on 21 Apr 2014, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Hi Bob.. I guess my thoughts on this are.. efficiency.. right word? I'm not looking for every last bottle.. but, I guess I don't want to have to add a bunch of extra grain to make things come out "right".. whatever that is. I'm still learning.. and willing to take advice. I know there is a bit of 'no sparge' discussion on HBT.. but, not sure I understand what it's all about.
Bill

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Bill, I'll let this one go for now but too many pre-release BIABacus files are being published in new threads. The pre-release thread restricts where they should be published.

Your file does not give a clear link to the original recipe so your questions cannot be answered correctly here.

Also, ensure you understand what constitutes a high or low integrity recipe. What is the integrity of the recipe you are trying to copy? If you are trying to copy a low integrity recipe, then who knows what you will end up with? Post again with whatever Firestone mashing instructions are, preferably a direct link.

You should not be sparging. Sparging does not increase efficiency in this scenario. There are few scenarios it will. The BIABacus will show you this. Ignore posts on other forums that talk of sparging with BIAB. Instead search the words sparge or sparging on this forum. It won't take long to find the correct information.

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Thank you.. still trying to understand where to post a file like this. I was conflicted about it and saw there were a couple other uploads that were 1st try, 2nd try.. and ended up here.

The recipe is a combination of two recipes I found on HBT. One was by "Yooper".. one of the moderators who has brewed here recipe many times and has received many accolades about it. The other was from a fellow who wanted to build his recipe and wound up submitting it to the brewer at Firestone Walker. The brewer replied with some sound suggestions and it was brewed and liked. Neither are BIAB recipes.. rather, two seemingly successful recipes.

They are both for Oatmeal Stouts.. One is somewhat generic.. the other is pushing as a clone of Firestone Walkers Velvet Merlin.

That said.. Where was I supposed to post my question?

Thanks again... Bill
Bill

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Bill, knowing Nuff, the main thing he will be worried about is getting clear links to the original recipe as he as much as anyone will want to see your question answered.

Firstly, a BIAB recipe is no different from any other all-grain recipe. Secondly, let's not worry about where you were meant to publish the question for now. Instructions are written in the pre-release thread but are a little hidden so it is no big issue.

What is a big issue for now is that we need the links to your sources on HBT. Put links to the actual post not the threads so we don't have to read through a thread of two hundred posts etc :).

Nuff also spoke on high versus low integrity recipes. Many recipes might appear as high integrity recipes but often fall short. I have three questions for you before I can offer anything more here...

1. Where are the links to the actual posts you have referred to?
2. Have you carefully studied, A perfect example of a low integrity recipe?
3. Do the recipes you are copying from address all the issues in 2 above?

The problem with all-grain is that it is very forgiving. I can give you the following recipe...

Batch Size: 19 L
Grain Bill: 5 kg
Hop Bill: So many ounces at such a time.

The problem is that from those guidelines, you could brew any number of different beers depending on how you interpreted my crappy instructions. The recipe I posted above is actually totally meaningless. But, that is the way many recipes are posted on the internet and in some books!

So, what I want to see is the original two links. That way I can see if the original recipe/s have integrity. Just because a moderator on a forum posted it does not tell you anything unfortunately. I'll show you why once you post the link because unless that moderator is one in a million, there will be holes in the recipe. I know you will find that hard to believe but humour me.

;)
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 22 Apr 2014, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 10 years ago
Thanks PP.. here is the info.. While yooper's has had many successes, I am leaning toward the velvet recipe.. mainly because of the interaction with the highly successful brewer at Firestone Walker. He is an commercial brewer of high renown. The recipe percentages are similar enough but some points well taken. One major diff is he likes American Fuggles very much.. while Yooper does not care for them at all. Personal tastes :)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/yoopers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ut-210376/
Further reinforcement of successes buried in the many pages.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/fw-velv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ne-290065/
Post #7 for recipe. Further documentation with Firestone Walker brewer later in post.. however he reinforced the grain changes in the recipe as well as the mash schedule

I need to be more observant and become more learned about recipe integrity. However, w/regards to Batch Size.. I believe it is generally accepted that batch size is the volume into the fermenter. VIF or more likely VOW.
Last edited by HbgBill on 22 Apr 2014, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

Post #8 made 10 years ago
Good on you Bill :peace:,

This is going to take some time to write a decent answer here so it might take me a little while to get back to you.

First question though is on the first line of Section C, you have 1.062 on the left and 1.058 on the right. Is there any reason for this? I'm going to assume the 1.058 shouldn't be there.

While I'm trying to work out what program they used for the recipe etc, just have a re-think on the sparging thing. Here is something I wrote on this the other day.
This concept of kettle efficiency being a variable is not well known because other software can't handle it. The misconception that efficiency is fixed leads to all sorts of misinformation. It's one of the many reasons why people might think sparging improves efficiency when it doesn't. What happens is they do their first brew and it's a 1.065 beer. They full-volume it and think their efficiency is poor so they hear that sparging improves things. Next beer they sparge but they have only brewed a 1.050 beer. Their efficiency jumps and they think it is because of sparging when the real reason was that they were brewing a lower gravity beer. They then go and post everywhere how much sparging improves their kettle efficiency :).

Other reasons people can jump to this conclusion are...

1. Making an assumption from one brew. Numbers for one brew cannot be trusted.
2. On the first full volume brew they may have only mashed for 60 minutes, On the sparged one they end up leaving the grain in contact with water for longer. Same result would have occurred if they just full-volumed mashed for longer.
3. First brew may have been a 60 minute boil. They then realise they should boil for 90 mins. This also increase efficiency a little as the grain gets washed in more water.
4. Different water on different brew days. Municipal water can vary greatly sometimes in a single day. This can affect kettle efficiency.
5. Different grain batches.

There's more things but that will give you a good idea I reckon ;).
So, don't get trapped into making unnecessary work for yourself. When I come back here, I will show you how to set the BIABacus up with a sparge but doing one is just creating work for you for no gain at all.

Nice job on filling the BIABacus out btw mate :salute:. On your next run, make sure you use Version PR1.3K as PR1.3 uses old terminology. K is in the first thread of the pre-release thread, stickied in this forum.

Back to you a bit later on,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 22 Apr 2014, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #9 made 10 years ago
Hi Pistola.. actually.. ass u ming I understand this correctly. 1.062 is from the recipe.. however, I wanted to make this beer slightly LESS alcoholic. I know it goes against the grain.. but.. I want to start slowly trying to make beers more sessionable. A little at a time. Part C.. as I understand it, asks for the current SG.. and what SG you desire.. I'd like to go down to 1.055 or less.. but.. 58 is a good start.

I saw your writeup the other day.. and I can go for it.. so.. I will likely do a full mash.. but, looks like I'll have to use a slightly larger pot.. IF I do it in a pot rather than my ice chest MT.. That way I can put the pot in the oven at a temp close to what I want my mash to be at.. if that makes sense.
Bill

Post #10 made 10 years ago
Hey Bill ;),

There's a few questions etc to deal with so I'll jump straight in.

Firstly, your file has come up as unprotected. In other words, you can click on any cell in the sheet. I think this happen s in OpenOffice if you save it under something other than an .xls file. Just be really careful as lots of formulas are hidden in cells so it is easy to accidentally wipe them.

For the purpose of this exercise, I am going to quickly re-write your BIABacus into PR1.3K so as we can use the same terminology so open the file attached here. Hopefully it will also stay protected for you.

That's great re the OG thing. Putting the 1.058 on the right of Section C to make it less strong is the correct thing to do. Nice work!

I worked out that the recipe report comes from BeerSmith and that the original brewer's 'VAW - Volume of Ambient Wort' was 6 gallons. Remember above, how you wrote that you believed that batch size usually means 'VIF - Volume into Fermentor'? Well, that is not right. Some brewers mean that and otehr brewers mean VAW. These are two different numbers and the problem is, for a successful recipe duplication, we really need to know VAW and that can be difficult or impossible to find in most recipe reports.

Please stop here now and have a really good read of this thread. Make sure you understand the difference between VAW and VIF.

Knowing the VIF of a recipe is useless without also knowing the 'KFL - Kettle to Fermentor Loss'. If with your equipment, you have a VIF of 23 L and a KFL of 6 L, you will need more hops than the brewer who gets 23 L VIF and 2 L of KFL. Only knowing VIF is useless.

Now, we got lucky with this recipe as I was able to do some advanced calcs and discover that when this brewer said "Batch Size: 6.00 gal" they meant VAW. Lucky for us. We'll come back to this next.

You'll have read in the other thread I linked above the problems with using IBU numbers from another program. These are almost always meaningless so I have deleted the 33.2 you had written on the second line of Section D. THe second line of Section D should only be used when designing a recipe. When copying a recipe, it should be used as a very last resort. What do we need?

We need the VAW, the AA% of the hops, the weight of the hops and time added so we are good to go there. The BIABacus calculates your IBU's as 27.9. This will often not agree with the original recipe report dur to either or both of the following. The other program uses an incorrect formula and/or uses a different estimate formula than Tinseth.

When mashing with BIAB,you want to do a 90 minute mash. So, you'll want to do 45 mins at 156 F and 45 mins at 159 F. I have done this in Section E.

Removing the red volume warning. There are many ways to reduce the chances of getting a red volume warning....

1. Reduce the desired VIF in section B (try the things below first.)
2. Reduce the boil time (not recommended for most styles but here we can knock it down to 75 mins - I've done this.)
3. Go to Section G and H and use some advanced trub management methods.
4. Go to Section W and type a figure beside 'Water Added Before the Boil'. I have typed in 3L. In your file, try deleting it and adding it back in. Watch what happens to the amount of grin you will use in Section C and the Mash Volume in Section K.
5. In Section W, you can also use some other dilutions but adding before the boil is best for quality.
6. In Section K you can also use some for the water in a sparge. As we have discussed this is more work for no gain if your pot can handle full=0volume but it's also a lot of work in a port that is too small. Try removing the 3L we had in "Water Added Before the Boil" and instead move it to 'Water Used in a Sparge'. See how it does not affect the grain bill? You might save a few cents in grain but create a lot of work. It's your decision though when it comes to a kettle being too small.

I think that is enough for now but come back with any questions Bill.

:peace:
PP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 22 Apr 2014, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post #11 made 10 years ago
Wow, there is so much I do NOT understand.. and so much to TRY to understand. Thank you for putting so much into my questions. I know it will take me a couple of days to try to understand all you have written combined with the ramifications to changes.

1. Is there a Glossary on BIAB. Possibly one is not needed. In my prior reply, which you alluded to, I mentioned VIF and VOW. I don't know where I got VOW but I meant VAW :blush: My thinking being it made no sense to measure trub if it can be left in the kettle and made no sense to measure it hot as the volume would shrink as it cooled.
2. I did read your analysis of the ABA thread and think I understand it.. but, putting it to practice involves a LOT of analysis which I could easily get wrong as I don't understand this process the way YOU writers do. That WILL take time :)
3. re the change in Sect D. As with my modification of the OG in Sect C.. I now understand (?) I would only put a number in there if I wanted to modify the IBU's within the style. In this case, the style IBU's range from 25-40. If I wanted my stout to have less IBU's.. say at 25.. I would then put that number in the box.
4. Tied with that question.. in BIABacus, is there any bitterness changes accounted for FO and DH? They DO add bitterness, despite how small. I have a formula for that.
5. Thanks for the Mashing input.
6. Regarding the red warning. Options noted. I will try to mash in a larger pot this time and put the pot in either a water conditioning bath or oven to try to maintain the mash as closely as possible. I think next time (or possibly this time) I will reduce the volume (VAW) to either 2.5 or 2.25 gallons and see what the SS says. :)

Again.. thanks for all the true work you do. To me it is mind blowing the brains behind all of this. More, thanks for the work you all do in helping us UNDERSTAND what is behind it.
Bill

Post #12 made 10 years ago
Bill, regarding the glossary, we'll see if we can put something up tomorrow to tide us over until the new forum structure is completed. Once completed, we'll sticky it in this forum.

Cheers,
Nuff

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 71 guests