Post #151 made 9 years ago
pist, keep playing....Pat and the other Founding Fathers have made a truly great website that wants to help us amateur brewers not beat them down. :drink:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #152 made 9 years ago
Hello friends,

I need some help with my understanding. Please note I changed the name of the file for my own purposes of remembering. No offense taking by anyone I hope.
I think i go the Kettle dimensions correct.
I changed the VIF, correct me if I am wrong but the no chill plastic bottle is only five gallons.
if this is all correct can I use this as my recipe?

My hope is you can open the file. I have not figured out how to do a screen shot while using two monitors and get the correct screen size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger Barnett

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain
    • SVA Brewer From United States of America

Post #153 made 9 years ago
I check my no chill plastic bottle, it is a 7 gallon not a 5 gallon. I changed the VIF to 26.00L
Roger Barnett

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

Post #154 made 9 years ago
rbcon2 wrote:I check my no chill plastic bottle, it is a 7 gallon not a 5 gallon. I changed the VIF to 26.00L

Welcome to the forum Roger.

Yes, that file is good to go. :salute: But download the latest version, PR1.3K, so we all can talk the same terminology.

:peace:

MS
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 16 Jul 2014, 00:05, edited 2 times in total.

Post #155 made 9 years ago
MS, here is the Amarillo on the new format. I was not exactly sure how to measure the keg height. I read a post that shows measuring from the point where the keg from the bottom radius to the top radius starts. That comes out to apprx. 16.75 inches. so that is what I used. Also how do you plug the hole in the cut out of the lid where the tap used to be? does it matter if it is open?
I would like to say I am comfortable with the software but I am not, but its is getting easier to read. I believe that I can master this in short order.
Roger Barnett

Mark Twain

Post #156 made 9 years ago
Roger, I guess you have a standard keg, US 15.5 gallon, plug these numbers into section b, 39.2 cm as kettle diameter and 42.4 cm as kettle height,,, then plug 4.3 L into section x under 'kettle shape volume adjustment', that is the amount of volume at the bottom before it starts to hit the straight sides. The kettle capacity becomes 55.5 L / 14.65 Gal. which brings the volume up to the welded seam. If you ever what to max out your keggle during a mash, it's okay to mash at the seam.

Have you cut out the hole yet?, if not, you can plan your cut so as to fit a 12" lid, like mine.

Post #157 made 9 years ago
Thanks MS,

I had already cut out the lid but purely by luck I cut it at 12 inches just by chance. I looked at you pics but did not see your lid, did I miss it.

I actually have two 15.5 kegs as you surmised. My thinking was to complete both then sell the second one to pay for the first. I wonder now if it might be better to actually have two?

I will plug in the numbers and see how it looks. I am really excited to one, learn the software as I am a tecky type. second get busy brewing a classy beer. I still need to purchase my bag as sewing is not my best gig.

Thanks for your help.

"Rog" :shoot:
Roger Barnett

Mark Twain

Post #158 made 9 years ago
Hi MS, I made the changes you suggested to the recipe for Amarillo APA. I have included the file. Please review and tell me if there is anything I should look out for as I move forward with this one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger Barnett

Mark Twain

Post #159 made 9 years ago
...just a few things here, Roger.

The third hop should be 0 mins., that will tell you how much hops to use.

The hop AA%'s should be changed in the substitutions column for what you have on hand.

You can sub a pale ale for JW Traditional Ale, or go with the MO.

I recommend using a 5 gallon paint strainer bag or your BIAB bag, then you can keep the 'Y' in Section G, as is. If it gets un-checked, you will notice the grain and hop bills change. It seems cleaner to me to do this with pellet hops. You can then pull the bag and squeeze it dry.

Blank out Sections L, M and N.

Cheers.

Post #160 made 9 years ago
Thanks for the assist MS,
I am still a little unclear as to what to do once the "no Chill" container is ready for yeast, do I transfer from no chill container to a glass carboy and pitch, then move it to the Corney keg? I assume this is typical of fermenting prior to kegging.
Roger Barnett

Mark Twain

Post #161 made 9 years ago
MS, I feel a bit foolish for the question on the carboy. I have been studying the program and saw the brew day progression and it all became clear. No need to answer the obvious question of fermenting.

One thing you could advise on, A digital temperature controller for controlling mini frig or freezer chest. I have a mini frig that will work in the short hall for a fermenting temperature controlled environment.
Roger Barnett

Mark Twain

Post #163 made 9 years ago
rbcon2 wrote:
One thing you could advise on, A digital temperature controller for controlling mini frig or freezer chest. I have a mini frig that will work in the short hall for a fermenting temperature controlled environment.
I have a Johnson Controls A419 on my upright freezer for fermenting;

Link example;
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... oller.html

9/21/11 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr

...and one on my kegerator;

10/6/2011 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 22 Jul 2014, 03:41, edited 2 times in total.

Post #164 made 9 years ago
Hello MS,

It has been a while since we last spoke. I now have my brew bag as well as the bulkhead fitting you advise from "Bargain Fittings". I could not get the leak to stop. I am sure the drill hole I made was to close to the interior radius of the bottom to get the correct seal. Also part of the rubber O ring was onto the weld. Fortunately I had the second keg which I will drill for the correct placement. I had been using the first keg to boil water for other projects so all is not a total lose. I will fix the hole with the help of a friend. He is going to weld a stainless steel patch over the hole and then I can re drill for later use.

I notice in the photos you provided that the Johnson controller you have is tied to a gauge with the rubber hose going through the freezer wall? What is the for and why are the two tied together?

I also ordered the controller which should be here next week.
Roger Barnett

Mark Twain

Post #165 made 9 years ago
Hello MS,

I need clarification of this recipe. The check list refers to "Galaxy Hop" addition. The hop bill shows no reference to these hops. Please clarify this .
Roger Barnett

Mark Twain

Post #166 made 9 years ago
rbcon2 wrote:Hello MS,

I need clarification of this recipe. The check list refers to "Galaxy Hop" addition. The hop bill shows no reference to these hops. Please clarify this .
That is somebody else's file that wrote in the check list.

The file offered for download here; viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869#p25993
doesn't have those check list notes.

Both files does refer to Galaxy as a substitution however, so if you look in Section D you will see Galaxy. I guess your file is different? :dunno:
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 19 Aug 2014, 04:37, edited 2 times in total.

Post #167 made 9 years ago
Could use a couple more Hop fields and how do you account for Hop Standing or Whirlpooling Hops? Another question in the same vein; if you whirlpool and don't pull the hopsack, to account for that time over ~170 F hops alpha acids are still isomerizing, so would you just add that time to the boil time for the rest of the hops? I'm probably making this way too complicated.

Post #168 made 9 years ago
Zeptrey welcome aboard,

I would personally enter them as a 0min additions. The answer to your question really relies on a lot of variables. Do you no chill or chill your wort. If you do if so how long is your hot stand how long is your whirlpool for? If you do chill how long does it take to get below 170 or down to 65. All these will have impacts.

Post #169 made 9 years ago
Trying to put a few basic recipes into the BIABacus for my first couple of BIAB attempts (new 40L birko urn), but am having a few issues..

Starting with the 'basic' amarillo pale ale recipe I have both the 'K' and 'T' version of the spreadsheet but they give me differing results regarding water required (and what fits in the urn etc)

PR1.3K shows that for 23L into fermenter(VIF) I require 35.35 Litres(TWN) and 6.1kg of grain
PR1.3T shows for the 23L into fermenter(VIF) I require 32.73(TWN) with a 5kg of grain

PR1.3T is also showing a few divide by zero errors (DIV/0)

I have gone through both and cant see any basic config differences (same dimension settings, VIF volume)

So,
- can someone look at these two files and tell me which of the files I should be using (I assume PR1.3T is latest/greatest) and where the difference in numbers is coming from..
Apart from the div/0 errors in 1.3T i believe its numbers more as it shows I can make a 23L(VIF) batch from the 40L urn whereas 1.3K says i exceed its volume
- identify where the div/0 errors are coming from (as its locked I cant just debug the formulas)

Post #170 made 9 years ago
Hi Bob,

1.3T is the file to go for. The Div/0 error is being caused by you having a B beside all your grains. There should actually be nothing there. Only use a 'B' (meaning added during the boil) for sugars and extracts.

So, get rid of all those B's in Section C and all will be good. You'll also find that once you do that the two files will match very closely. There has been one correction made to the 'Total Water Needed - (TWN)' formula in PR1.3T which I am hoping will act as a better default.

I'll be around for a few more hours so if anything above is unclear, ask away.

:peace:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #171 made 9 years ago
Thanks...
So with removing those does that mean the 'defaults' for that Amarillo Pale Ale recipe show a VIF limit of about 21L based on the 40L urn dimensions?
(without doing something like upping the expected OG and adding water afterwards)

Post #172 made 9 years ago
zeptrey wrote:Could use a couple more Hop fields and how do you account for Hop Standing or Whirlpooling Hops? Another question in the same vein; if you whirlpool and don't pull the hopsack, to account for that time over ~170 F hops alpha acids are still isomerizing, so would you just add that time to the boil time for the rest of the hops? I'm probably making this way too complicated.
Not at all, this is a great question. I brew hoppy ales, and use hop stands for every one. There are many discussions here on the matter, which you should find with a quick search.

Basically, for a 30 minute hop stand between 175-212F ... I enter 12 minutes into the file to calculate theoretical bitterness. The addition is obviously at 0, but the 12 minutes has satisfied my taste-o-meter within this context. I didn't go at it blind though, this article claims 10% utilization rate to be reasonable, so I went from that.

Generally, 30 minutes after the boil on a homebrew scale ... temperatures will drop below isomerization range. I have hop standed the same beer for 30-80 minutes with no discernible difference in the final product. I also no-chill (hop particles removed) recipes that were previously chilled, and there is again no difference in bitterness.

For simplicity I generally only make a bittering addition, and then a flame out addition. This really makes it easy to calculate what might happen for a hop stand, so obviously a brew with a 20,15,10,0 hopping schedule would require more thought.

Also, my simple hopping schedule allows me to adjust my boil length without worry of boiling hops longer than planned.

Been happy with my hoppy ales, so I continue to brew them this way. Of course, we are all different so I don't expect you to brew like I do. Just felt like it was appropriate to explain my methods, because they really only apply to me and those who brew as I do.

If you were to disclose the context of your brew, we could have a discussion about how to enter it into your BIABacus in this thread.

[MODNOTE: zeptrey, please contribute to this thread to gain full access and further answers from the site.]
Last edited by Rick on 20 Aug 2014, 20:39, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #173 made 9 years ago
SIlentBob wrote:Thanks...
So with removing those does that mean the 'defaults' for that Amarillo Pale Ale recipe show a VIF limit of about 21L based on the 40L urn dimensions?
(without doing something like upping the expected OG and adding water afterwards)
That's correct Bob. (When you had all the B's there, the BIABacus thought those things were not in the mash.)

If you need 23 L into the fermentor, then go to Section W and play around with 'Water Added Before the Boil' and 'Water Added During Boil'. Adding numbers there, will however require you to use a little more grain because you are washing the grains in less water. The higher the liquor to grain ratio (see bottom of Section W) the better you can wash your grain and therefore the less you need.

When you play in Section W, look at the dynamics between the total grain bill required on the bottom right of Section C and the first three bolded volumes in Section K.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 20 Aug 2014, 20:41, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #174 made 9 years ago
I'm not exactly in the loop here, and I'm currently using PR 1.3K – should I continue using that as the best beta, until there is an updated on the first posting in this thread?

+1 to more hop fields, though, I see how much of a headache that could cause with the spreadsheet organization!
    • BME Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #175 made 9 years ago
rbcon2 wrote: I notice in the photos you provided that the Johnson controller you have is tied to a gauge with the rubber hose going through the freezer wall? What is the for and why are the two tied together?

I also ordered the controller which should be here next week.
That setup (gauge) is called a spunding valve and is tied in series with my corny kegs, for fermenting under pressure, see link; viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1933

2/24/2013 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr

9/21/2011 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 21 Aug 2014, 06:37, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 54 guests