Post #201 made 9 years ago
Just got through a few hours with BIABacus and have to say it's really great! :thumbs: I find it very intuitive and complex in a good way. I can already see this thing is going to save me from a lot of mistakes and provide some fantastic record keeping for future brews. Thanks for all the work on this! :salute:
“Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.” Dave Barry

Post #202 made 9 years ago
I really like that post ToneMonkey as it tells me you are learning from the BIABacus rather than just "obeying" it. Education was always its first aim so a post like yours is always excellent.

Apologies that the official release has still not been done. This is my fault but the last few months have been unusually/extraordinarily busy.

Thanks for giving your feedback. It does make a real difference :salute:.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #203 made 9 years ago
Hi Everyone,

I am new to BIAB, and in fact I have never done an all grain brew, so excuse the naiveté of my question. I have been looking at the BIABacus and it looks like an awesome program. I am most surprised about the amount of evaporation that the program says I should anticipate, and I realize that my own system will be different, but time will tell.

Anyway, I have seen a few post on this forum that discusses the merits/benefits of doing a full volume mash, and I have also read outside articles that say that the thinner mashes used by the BIAB system are beneficail. But I recently read an article by Mr. Wizard in "Brew Your Own Magazine" talking about the fact that mashes should be no thinner than 4 parts water to 1 part malt (weight/weight basis). If this ratio is exceeded the enzymes become less stable and the enzymatic reaction is slower, and this can result in lower wort fermentability, and a higher finishing gravity. Now maybe BIAB brewers avoid these problems by increasing the mash time (or doing something else different), but putting that aside, I would like some feedback on the merits of using a smaller mash volume (and adding water to the boil kettle to get the proper boil volume)? I ask this question because from my first look at the BIABacus I see that the mash volume used is a 6 to 1 ratio for the default All Amaraillo APA. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Donjim
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #204 made 9 years ago
Welcome, Donjim. Thanks for posting. I'm sure some more experienced posters will chime in, but here's my take on your questions:

It sounds like you know already that it takes several brews on any system to dial in any kind of data, including boil off rate. You could do a test with water before your brew to estimate. The BACUS is extremely accurate in its defaults, but things like evaporation can fluctuate greatly based on some variables.

Are you doing a 90 minute boil? That's recommended as is a 90 minute mash as opposed to 60. Since BIAB has a built in sparge you should mash longer to account for some of the extra time you would be sparging. I've never had any trouble with attenuation, and I know there is a lot of theoretical and some incorrect information out about BIAB. I've mashed thinner (full volume) and I've mashed thicker (topping up at the boil). I typically mash around 151 F, but sometimes go to 148–149 for a saison or 155 for a stout, and always end up right on target. I'm not an expert, but I've won a few first place medals for a Dusseldorf Altbier, which is an amazing, malty German style, so clearly BIAB works. For that beer I did mash thick (intentionally dropping efficiency into kettle to enhance the malt) and topped up with water into the boil. Again, the brews I full volume mash never have any attenuation trouble and turn out spectacular.

Make a good yeast starter, aerate your wort properly, use some yeast nutrient, immaculate sanitation and cleaning, follow the BACUS, and you'll end up with a great beer. Take good notes, and after a few brews you can use your averages to dial in any adjustments.
    • BME Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #205 made 9 years ago
Donjim, Welcom to the forum.

The BIABacus is a great tool.

The liquor to grain ratio varies based on many different inputs to the spreadsheet. For example, on one of my BIABacus files/recipes for a double batch of a higher OG (1.067) and withholding 3 litres of water from the mash, my ratio is 4.40 l/kg.

Purposely withholding some of the water from the mash to achieve a 4:1 ratio is doable, only to add it in to the boil will net the same result, see post; http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... ops#p31499

Also earch on "washing machine" by PistolPatch for why a full volume mash is best.

:peace:

MS
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #206 made 9 years ago
Hello DonJim, I will also agree, and that in my experience over the last year I have had no trouble with attenuation with BIAB, and I have never held water back in any of the brews I have done. Have done a saison that was around 1.066, and it came down to 1.008 or 9 as I recall, and a few other highish gravity brews with the same result. Don't think I have done anything over 1.07 OG, but I usually achieve the upper % of attenuation with any yeast I have used (liquid and dry) unless I purposely mash hot to drop attenuation. All my brews have been around 21-23 L into fermenter.

Like laserghost I have also won a couple medals, one for the saison I mentioned above and another for a Hefeweizen, and both of those generally require low FGs to get the right dryness...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #207 made 9 years ago
This is another thread I have wanted to reply to but have lacked the time. Very good questions from Donjim and very good answers as well :thumbs:. The only thing I can do is reinforce the above.

For example, laserghost mentioned that, "things like evaporation can fluctuate greatly based on some variables." If you hang around here long enough and/or do enough brews, you will realise that, just like craft breweries, we homebrewers cannot expect repeatable numbers. Any brewer who claims to hit their numbers "bang on, every time", is not being dishonest but, most likely, unwittingly making exceptions and adjustments to match whatever their brewing software told them they would get. If they were able to hit their numbers bang on every time, they should run a commercial brewery because, even with their advanced equipment, large volumes, know grain specs and hop specs, they have to make adjustments on each and every batch.
Reading on home brewing, in so many places, will give you the perception/belief that all your batches should be repeatable. They shouldn't be.
For example, home brewers cannot control evaporation. The BIABacus gives a very good starting point and hopefully, in most cases, it will actually under-estimate your evaporation. We actually hope you will end up with less wort at a higher gravity than what you want. Why? Because then you can dilute that wort with some good water with no downside. If you have too much wort at the end of the boil at too low a gravity, there is no 'nice' way to fix that.

Furthermore, evaporation rates will vary massively from brew to brew. Imagine brewing outside in dry, hot, windy conditions compared to still, cold and humid conditions????

On your other excellent question re mash liquor to grain ratios, I have just googled the Mr Wizard question and totally disagree with the answer.

A lot of the writers of these articles (or on forums), like myself, are not brewing scientists, let alone have a science degree. The author of the article you mentioned actually does which is rare. But still, the answer displays a very poor knowledge of the practicalities and benefits of single vessel brewing. For example, it equates full volume brewing (simultaneous mash and sparge brewing) with 'no-sparge brewing,' which are two completely different things - see here. There are several other things wrong or erroneous in that answer such as the mention of tannins.

ALthough I have seen the claim written, I personally don't know of or have seen a scientific basis of the claim that a thinner mash leads to a less attenuated wort. In fact, the only thing I have seen written on it is from Braukaiser. Braukaiser does great work but even these experiments, although they back up what I say, have not been repeated enough for their conclusions to be relied upon. As a matter of interet though, here's a screen shot from this page.
2015-01-12_19-57-30.jpg
Whilst not a brewing scientist, I'll give myself a few things. I do research, read carefully and experiment as best as I can. I am also one of the few people that has the equipment to do do side by side, simultaneous brews. I do these as much as I can (not that often) and repeat them several times before I draw/make conclusions/claims...

Like laserghost and goulagain above, I usually do okay on comps when I enter them. One comment I have never had on any non-medal winner or medal winner is, "under-attenuated."

I must say that it's pretty annoying that magazines are writing answers like the one you have read Donjim. That answer will be quoted on forum after forum as being, "correct". The answer above will go unnoticed.

What a strange world :dunno:,
PP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 12 Jan 2015, 20:07, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #208 made 9 years ago
Hi

Wondering if any experienced BIABacus PR 1.3T users can help me. I have entered the same recipe into 2 different spreadsheets, one was the blank one, the other had a recipe in already and I get 2 different results in terms of efficiency, Malt needed, water etc. I have gone through them side by side a few times to try and figure out the variance but I cant. Help?

Also can't seem to attach the files?

Post #209 made 9 years ago
Pretty tricky to answer that one without seeing the files Christabrew...

As a general rule you should always enter a recipe into a blank biabacus. It is such a large sheet with so many fields it is easy to miss removing something with a sheet already containing a recipe - and one little number somewhere can change the whole thing, even something as simple as a 'y' or 'n' for hopsock. Out of curiosity, what is happening when you say you can't upload the files?

Post #210 made 9 years ago
ChristaBrew, is there any data/entries in Section "X" and "W"?????

The pre-filled recipe may have Variations the You Recipe Does not Need.

Also, In section "Y" there are entries for the grain Bill Data, that will alter the Grains/Water/efficiency.

Then again there is section "E" for mashing Instructions and the Temperature and time are important.

I hope the above data helps, since these Fields are off screen on My Computer, the can be missed.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #212 made 9 years ago
Hi all, I'm fairly new to brewing, been doing it about a year and stumbled upon this site and was very impressed! I was hoping you could educate me a bit. I was playing with the calculator, putting in a "regular" all grain recipe and converting it and noticed that the BIABacus called for less grain than the original recipe and more hops. Is this normal? I kind of thought the ratios would remain the same. I was putting this recipe in:
http://www.morebeer.com/products/snowfl ... anced.html

Thanks for your patience with my ignorance.

Cheers!

Post #213 made 9 years ago
Welcome to the forum MarPaul.

We have a brewer here that makes these kits all the time BIAB style, but doesn't use the BIABacus.

If you like to post up your file over on the 'convert recipe thread', someone will take a look at it.

MS

Post #215 made 9 years ago
Hi,

Some feedback on Section. B: as I prepare for my first ever BIAB.

It would be really cool if BIABacus has 'profiles' for the most popular kettles.
I ended up buying a 40l buffalo boiler, which apparently is quite common with brewers. I'm sure there are other kettles/pots for which people have already measured up and tested boil-off.

I'm probably being really lazy, but sure this would be helpful as a starting point for new brewers.
If someone's already tested it why re-invent the wheel? :)

Post #216 made 9 years ago
Hi Fattulip, Boil off is different for every brewer, even if they have the same kettle. There are many variables that affect boil off other than kettle shape. Ambient temp, humidity, boiling outdoors with a bit of wind etc etc all make a difference.

As far as kettle profiles, personally I would be measuring my ketttle anyway even if there were profiles as I would want to be sure mine was the same. I do all my volume measurements throughout the brew by measuring headspace, so if my kettle measurements were assumed and turned out to be wrong then my entire brew would be off right from the start...

Post #217 made 9 years ago
Hi Everyone,

Not only am I new to BIAB, but I am new to being a member of any Forum, so I had to be informed by one of the members on the proper procedure for making replies in the Forum. I tried to made individual PM responses to all that responded to my original post rather than posting my comments in the main thread so that everyone could see, so excuse me for that mistake.

I do want to thank everyone one who responded to my post and made me feel welcome to BIAB. Your comments have provided me with much encouragement and I am learning much everyday by reading all the various sections of the Forum. I look forward to further exchanges in the future as I continue to learn more about the BIAB process.

Thanks again,

DonJim
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #218 made 9 years ago
Thanks Donjim and FatTulip.

Donjim first-up: Thanks for taking the time to PM us Don. That was very considerate of you and much appreciated. Thanks also for getting back to us here in the thread. That's probably an easier way for you to go in future - less time and let's guests as well as contributors know that everything made sense etc. So, thanks for your thanks ;).

FatTulip: Good thinking on the kettle profiles but unfortunately as Goul mentioned above, the evaporation rate is affected by many things such as climate. Down the track though, it would be great to have some sort of set-up where those who have a kettle could contribute their evaporation figures and some other factors such as brewing outside, humidity, windy etc. Once we had enough data sets, we could fine-tune a few of our estimates but, at the end of the day, you should always try and over-estimate your evaporation so as, at the end of the brew, you are in a position of diluting the wort a little rather than having a weak wort that needs strengthening.

PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 19 Jan 2015, 19:01, edited 2 times in total.

Post #219 made 9 years ago
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

What can a say, to the people who have been involved with the design and implementation of BIABacus you should be very proud of your work.

I'm very impressed with the spreedsheet, Well laid out, easy to navigate and it does everything in one page! My normal brew day consists of brewing software, 2 other spread sheet calculators and a brew log which I'm constantly juggling between.

I'll be giving BIABacus a run on my brew-day next week. Thanks for a great site!

Post #220 made 9 years ago
topendbrewer, that's a really nice post above and it also tells me you have already explored the BIABacus very well :salute:. Don't hesitate though to post your plan and file up on the site before you start brewing. It sounds like you have everything nailed but if you'd like a second/third/fourth pair of eyes then please go for it.

PP

(We actually need a new, stickied, thread where anyone can post their brew day plan to. Maybe you should be the one to start that thread topend? What to call it... "My Brew Day Plan," or something along those lines :think: :think: :think: )

Post #225 made 9 years ago
Hello All,

I have been using BIABacus for a while now. I have always milled my grains at a buddies house and all the defaults on the BIABacus have worked out great for me. I always hit my numbers. Now I have my own barley crushe and my eff went through the roof. Because of this I can seem to hone in my numbers. they seem to be all over the place. Could someone help me set up new defaults? Here are the setting I need to change.

1) I seem to be getting more volume into the fermentor then I should. I think it seems to be from the mash to kettle. I am extracting more sweet liquor from the bag then the SS tells me. How would I change this?

2) I may be boiling off a little more then the sheet says not a huge thing but would like to now how to tweek this too.
For the Love of Dunkel.xls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SeanGodd on 13 Feb 2015, 03:16, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers!!

the Kegs: Kerry's Bock Baby!, Godd's E-Brown, Godd's ESB, Bitter Mister Mom,
In the Carboy: For the love of dunkel,
Up Next: Kerry's Bock Baby!(V1.1)
87 Gals beer - Running Total

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 19 guests