Where are you from...

Post #1 made 14 years ago
And how does it affect your brewing?

I'm about 30 km NE of Bendigo in Victoria. The weather can be quite extreme here. Last summer we had 15 consecutive days above 40c, 5 of those days were 48c! While the Winters aren't too bad we still get a couple of weeks worth of frost.

Brewing in summer is a challenge, although I am lucky enough to have a creamery on our property (no fermenting fridges here). A creamery is a double brick structure set ~1.2 metres into the ground with a large, overhanging roof that finishes 1m from the ground. The sun never touches the brick work giving me some temperature control for brewing and wine storage. In Winter I get a fairly constant 14c and Summer ~22c.

My biggest challenge is my boil off ratio through the seasons. In the hot & dry months, my boil off can be as high as 18% with a slow boil. While in the cooler more humid weather it will drop to 11-12% with a strong rolling boil.

So, where are you from and how does it affect your brewing?
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #2 made 14 years ago
Hi hashie, it sounds pretty fearsome there, but the creamery could be a godsend for your brewing and cellaring.
Up here in Toowoomba we have fairly mild conditions with occasional long hot spells in summer and a few frosts in winter, but my fermentation fridges and datalogger controller keeps everything peachy, although condensation was a PITA over the humid summer we've just had. It encouraged mould to grow inside the ale fridge and also while the lager fridge was at fermentation temperature. I'll usually have to heat the ale fridge in winter (with a few hot water bottles- so simple!), but only for a few weeks. With this in mind I've decided to do more lagers over winter, but I really prefer ales for taste and also the quick turnaround.

The town water here seems to be fairly alkaline and it varies in quality (appears as though they add random proportions of groundwater and fluoride has been included recently), sometimes Starsan goes cloudy straight away, so I mostly use rainwater when brewing, occasionally I have to use town water and I've been adding some 5.2 in those circumstances although citric acid is useful for that as well.

Occasionally bugs in the fermentation fridges are a problem over summer, mostly the tiny vinegar or fruit flies but also the bigger house flies and the odd cockroach. They seem to find a way in, probably around the sensor wire as it goes in via the door and leaves a gap in the crappy door seal but they haven't been able to penetrate the cling film defences yet! Ants have been a mild problem in the kitchen, they always are over summer, particularly where a bit of wort gets spilt. Cool weather should have most of them shutting up shop, but pests like these something that home brewers should think about.

When I was a lad we had a goat dairy farm and the actual dairy had heaps of useful stainless, a cool room and plenty of concrete, plus it was built with sanitation in mind, so it would've been brilliant for brewing and OK for cellaring, but sadly we sold the farm a decade ago.

With the excessive evaporation, have you tried putting a lid partly over the kettle at all? I've found that partly- covering the kettle helps to reduce the evaporation rate plus reduce the energy required to keep the boil happening as well.
I place it cleverly so that condensation forming on its underside actually drips outside of the kettle and runs away, so there's no need to worry about nasty- tasting/ smelling DMS, condensate and so on ending up back in the boil. I rest the lip of of the lid on top of the stove backing, photo below.

Hoping to hear about other brewers' conditions, particularly non- Australians and how they manage, so chop chop you lot!
(Sorry for the essay... :) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ralph on 10 Apr 2010, 09:56, edited 18 times in total.
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #3 made 14 years ago
You should never have to be sorry for a good, informative post Ralph.

Interesting what you say about Ales being preferable to Lagers. I have brewed Lagers here over winter, because the temperature would dictate that, this is best. But I just don't go for Lager. I much prefer an Ale with good body, Lagers by comparison are thin and watery. I've even done double batches splitting one onto an Ale yeast and the other onto a Lager yeast. The Ale always wins out for my palette.

As for the evaporation, I boil in a keggle so using a lid, other than for mashing, is not practical. The evaporation isn't a problem for me, as I'm aware of it and can adjust my brewing to suit.

Cheers

Gavin

Post #4 made 14 years ago
I'm from Adelaide - Aus, and I have similar issues with evaporation rates between summer and winter.

I have modified my Crown urn to give a better boil, but it still varies a lot between the seasons, so I have taken to using a camping mat on the outside of the urn during the boil as well as the mash to help give a better boil.

The other thing I do now is boil the wort down to 28 litres before beginning my hop additions, so that I will be sure of getting down to my starting gravity and volume, which used to be a problem during winter if I added my hops according to time but the expected evaporation rate wasn't reached.

Cheers,
Matt

Post #5 made 14 years ago
hashie wrote:You should never have to be sorry for a good, informative post Ralph.

Interesting what you say about Ales being preferable to Lagers. I have brewed Lagers here over winter, because the temperature would dictate that, this is best. But I just don't go for Lager. I much prefer an Ale with good body, Lagers by comparison are thin and watery. I've even done double batches splitting one onto an Ale yeast and the other onto a Lager yeast. The Ale always wins out for my palette.

As for the evaporation, I boil in a keggle so using a lid, other than for mashing, is not practical. The evaporation isn't a problem for me, as I'm aware of it and can adjust my brewing to suit.

Cheers

Gavin
Howdy Gavin and Ralph
Me too for the ales most of the year. I'm not a hophead like alot of brewers, but I'm obsessed with english IPAs and bitters. A full bodied Pisner does it for me during summer though!
Cheers
Lloydie
Last edited by LloydieP on 11 Apr 2010, 12:29, edited 18 times in total.
[center]"Eat my sugar, man[/center]

Post #6 made 14 years ago
LloydieP wrote: Howdy Gavin and Ralph
Me too for the ales most of the year. I'm not a hophead like alot of brewers, but I'm obsessed with english IPAs and bitters. A full bodied Pisner does it for me during summer though!
Cheers
Lloydie
Wow, Lloydie, I can relate!
Hopheads = too much money to burn + enjoy palate destruction!
Honestly, the cost of hops plus having to reset the palate so often are both reasons why I'm no hop head, it just amazes me what some brewers do to abuse both the hops and their own bodies! But its their beer and their body I guess...

Funny you should mention the Pils, I'm just bottling a few Munich Helles, too late for routine summer thirst quenching, but I'm expecting they will be good for the traditional Anzac Day heatwave! Mind you, I've been using ESB, Mild and Cider as thirst quenchers over the summer, not quite the same effect as an icy lager to be honest...
Last edited by Ralph on 11 Apr 2010, 14:31, edited 18 times in total.
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #7 made 14 years ago
LloydieP wrote: A full bodied Pisner does it for me during summer though!
Cheers
Lloydie

As a quaffer in Summer, I've been making Cream Ales instead of Lagers.
Using 100% Pilsner malt and fermenting at 14c with Nottingham Ale Yeast.

It still drinks like a Lager but with the body of an Ale.
Last edited by hashie on 12 Apr 2010, 06:28, edited 18 times in total.

Post #8 made 14 years ago
Hello all,
I am from the town of Modi'in in ISRAEL. and i belong to the first and only HB club in Israel, The Zion Beer Enthusiasts (free translation). We are holding our first BREW PARTY this coming Friday and we are all very excited. 11 brew pots going at once.
I will be the only BIABer there!

I brew in an electrics pot that i bought at a local flee market. I believe it was used for laundry in the 1950's.

I have no idea what my city water has in it but at this stage of my brewing carrier, I'm not worrying about water adjustments.
I don't have temp control yet, but i bought a new fridge so the old one will become a fermentation fridge at the end of this month.
Last summer the temperature in my cellar was a steady 27C during July and August.
The winter temp was as low as 17C. not too bad but i still want more control.
Haven't tried lagers yet.
So far I am happy with my regulars (and ever tiring to perfect them):
Oatmeal Stout, Belgian Blond, Whiskey Barrel Porter, Fat Tire Clone(American Amber), and Hefewiezen.
The one shitty thing about the local brewing scene is that the LHBS only carry dry yeast. So we're stuck with Fermentis, Danstar and the stuff that comes taped to the lid of the kits.

Happy Brewing
Noam
Israel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #9 made 14 years ago
shibolet,
If you are going to be the only BIAB brewer there. Bring enough grain to brew twice. That way you will finish when the "Traditional brewers" finish!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #10 made 14 years ago
That's a great looking pot shibolet.

27C is pretty high for fermenting, have you tried putting some ice blocks or similar around your fermenter to keep it cooler in the summer?

Post #11 made 14 years ago
Bob,
I don't know, my brew day sometimes takes as long as 4 hours (5, with the cleanup). I think my heating element isn't strong enough.

Hashie,
Last summer i just let it go at 27C (the beer was not bad at all). This summer I'm hoping to have my fridge and thermostat set up for fermentation temp control.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
to be brewed:

Post #12 made 14 years ago
so the brew party was a blast!
i really don't think that the BIAB + NC was way faster that the traditional mash tun method.
Several people took a good look at the pot and it would seem it has a 2300 watt element.
I don't think i could go much higher. although it may have weakened with years.
one of my team mates recorded the brew times:
9:30 - 10:30 setup and begin heating water
10:30 - 11:20 begin 45 min mash at 67C
11:20-11:35 raise temp to 74 and hold for 15 min
11:35 - 11:55 bring up to boil - first hop addition
12:40 second hop addition
12:45 - end of boil
13:00 - last hop addition.
13:15 - transfer to cube.
this is from memory so not very accurate but you get the gist.

So it was around 4 hours without the cleanup.
some of the traditional AG brewers were done at the same time (including CF chilling).
Cube:
to be brewed:

Post #13 made 14 years ago
I've never thought it to be quicker, just simpler.

One advantage of 3v is that you can heat strike water etc while you are doing something else in another vessel.

Not enough of a reason for me to go 3v!

Glad to hear your day went well. Did you brew the same beers or different?

Post #14 made 14 years ago
we all brewed different recipes. i think next year we'll try to all brew the same and maybe age it together in an oak barrel.
you can see pics on this blog (the text is Hebrew, but the pictures say it all) the two little ones in the final picture are mine.
Last edited by shibolet on 10 May 2010, 17:56, edited 18 times in total.
Cube:
to be brewed:

Post #16 made 14 years ago
shibolet wrote:we all brewed different recipes. i think next year we'll try to all brew the same and maybe age it together in an oak barrel.
you can see pics on this blog (the text is Hebrew, but the pictures say it all) the two little ones in the final picture are mine.
Great pics looks like it was alot of fun
wish i could read hebrew looks like a great blog
Last edited by jmbingham on 17 May 2010, 14:07, edited 18 times in total.

Post #17 made 14 years ago
I have same problem with the seasons. I live in the middle of the states. We experience all seasons. Although you might get summer temps before spring arrives and spring temps when summer arrives.
Joe

Post #18 made 14 years ago
jmbingham wrote: Great pics looks like it was alot of fun

you could try http://translate.google.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by shibolet on 23 May 2010, 14:50, edited 18 times in total.
Cube:
to be brewed:

Post #19 made 14 years ago
shibolet wrote:
jmbingham wrote: Great pics looks like it was alot of fun

you could try http://translate.google.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shibolet thank you
i didnt know google would translate like that very cool to be able to read a post like that like i said earlier looks like it was a great day nothing better than being outside on a beatiful day brewing beer and cooking with good friends great blog thank you again jimmy
Last edited by jmbingham on 24 May 2010, 06:09, edited 18 times in total.

Post #20 made 14 years ago
Shibolet

Thanks for the pics. I haven't read the translation yet but I hope BIAB won and any girls that wear white T-shirts or singlets should never have to pay tax I reckon :).

Joshua

Welcome Joshua and it is, "no worries," about the slang :). (I reckon everyone gets it ;).

A batch of 2.5 gal (6 L) could safely be regarded as a mini-BIAB. Often people start with a small batch size and then get bigger seeing as it takes pretty much the same amount of time to brew. I think from your post though that you have been brewing for some time. I am only aware of one other brewer (Ralph) that consistently brews small batches and he loves it :).

Is there a reason that you haven't gone for a bigger kettle/batch size? I'd certainly like to brew smaller batches of different beers more often but I work full-time and keg so can't see how to do it.

Cheers,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 21 Jun 2010, 21:51, edited 18 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #22 made 14 years ago
Hi there Jerry,

The latest version of BIABbooklet.pdf has been renamed, "The Commentary.pdf" and it can be found here. Other downloads accompany the PDF.

Eventually, we will get the, "The Commentary," into a topic format that can be read on-forum but this is a time-consuming task.

You will need to become a Fully Registered Member to download the PDF. (This allows us to inform users any time a substanital change is made to BIABrewer.info Essentials.) Having a read through the topics in this forumwill show you how to become a Fully Registered Member. Basically you have to do a bit of reading and then make a post in a thread called, My First Post!

All the best,
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 23 Jun 2010, 18:57, edited 18 times in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #23 made 14 years ago
Hi everyone,

My name is Gibbo and I've yet to venture into BIAB but I almost have all the gear for it, a 50l boiler and I'm just waiting on a grain bag. I'm going to do one last full boil extract then I will delve into the scary world of AG. I've watched a mate of mine do a couple of traditional AG's and it doesn't look that bad. Just have to get all my volumes correct (hopefully first go).

Post #24 made 14 years ago
Welcome Gibbo,
Give BIAB a go straight away. Traditional AG is more work for the same result.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #25 made 14 years ago
Hi there Gibbo,

Listen to Bob as he is one of the few brewers who has had the great thinking of trying a new brewing method (BIAB) despite having invested years and money practicing the traditional method. Asking a brewer to try a method that is simpler and cheaper than what they have spent years and dollars on is understandably, asking too much of anyone. Those few who have, like Bob, are not disappointed.

I have seen all types of brewing and the more complex the equipment gets*, the harder the brew day and for no better beer as Bob said.

Don't worry about volumes and efficiency too much on your first go. Concentrate on being organised the day before as much as you can. Use The Calculator provided here to work your first few brews out. Your attitude should be, "I wonder how far out The Calculator (or any brewing software) is to my equipment?" rather than, "I hope my brew will match The Calculator (or any other brewing software)."

In other words, aim to measure properly what you get rather than what you expect. Figures in brewing can be "greyed" in so many ways, you can often arrive at any figure you want!

You will need to measure a few brews before you fine-tune things. And, even after many brews, volumes and gravities will vary from time to time. They become unimportant as over this time, you will discover recipes that you really enjoy that even with measurement errors still taste delightful.

I think we brewers often think with our eyes (figures, numbers, clarity, style specifications) rather than our mouth which is really the only thing that matters. I have only recently become aware of this silliness that some of us subscribe to for far too long. I am now getting back to brewing great beers and kegging them clear easily.

I think you are going to love BIAB. Heaps more controllable/easier than extract!

:)
PP

* I have a mate who has been playing around with a totally automated system. I haven't heard from him for a while so am not sure if it is going well or has become "complicated." I must check!
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 61 guests