Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8502 made 6 years ago
Toon,

Welcome to the site! :salute: There is a lot of good information on the forum here and from what I have seen the community is good about answering questions. The first thing I would do would be spend some time browsing the topics and definitely check out Biabacus if you haven't already. It is a spreadsheet based calculator that does pretty much everything you could want. I believe the current version is 1.3 but someone will probably correct me if I am wrong.

Tony
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8503 made 6 years ago
Hello Everyone!

Great site. Discovered it while researching BIAB. I'm located outside of Boston, MA. Been brewing extract kits for a couple years, but moving on to all grain. With work and a family, BIAB makes total sense for me! Planning on my first BIAB brew in a couple of weeks, and hoped to pick up more pointers about the process as well as find a tried and true recipe here!

Post #8504 made 6 years ago
Welcome, UVMnick.

Have you downloaded the BIABacus file yet? That will be hugely helpful in planning your brew, whether you are copying another persons recipe or developing your own.

There are some good recipes posted on the site. Also, the BIABacus can help you scale to your system if you wish to get the Brewing Classic Styles book. Book is full of high quality recipes.

Let us know how we can help.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8505 made 6 years ago
AJ here from Michigan USA.

I have only done Extract batches, but loved the results so much that I kitted up a bit.

15Gal Spike Kettle, all Tri-Clamp fittings.

I built a control box (120v) based around the Auberins EZ-Boil regulator.

I now have about everything I need (yeah right!). Recirc pump, Rims tube, Bag, False bottom ....)

I'll be boiling with a propane burner, then mashing with the RIMS to maintain/step temperatures.

I've made a bit of wine/mead/cider in the past, so am not concerned with the fermentation aspect.
I don't have the ability to ferment lower than 60F (that is the temperature of my basement), but do have ability to warm/control ferment above that level.

I have yet to bottle the beer I've made, as I jumped directly to small kegs and it has worked out great.

I have a yeast starter going today and plan on brewing in 48 hours. My favorite beer of all time is a Schwarzbier, so that is going to be my first attempt.
I found a recipe 'May the Schwarzbier With You' that uses Ale yeast WLP029, so that will be my first All grain BIAB.

I have all the grains I need and have a mill. I have currently set the gap at .031" (.787mm), I'm hoping this will be a fine gap for a first try with recirc.

It is amazing how many unanswered questions there are when starting something new.
The recipe calls for mash in at 152F for 60 minutes, then sparge with 170F. Of course this all changes with BIAB full volume.
So what to do with my RIMS? 152F for 60 minutes then ramp to 170F for mashout? Thoughts?

This is just one of the questions I hope to answer by searching the forum.

I wish I'd found your forum a few weeks/months ago! Anxious to play with the BIABacus too!

Thanks in advance for all the answers I'll find on the forum,
AJ
Last edited by AJPeacock on 28 Apr 2018, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8506 made 6 years ago
Hi AJ, and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you’ve jumped in with both feet. I remember all the info that a guy would get. So much and everyone seemed to have different advice. When I started many were still saying traditional full volume BIAB was crap, poor efficiency, etc. After much research I thought the idea had merit and bought components for a system.

I elected to avoid doing the RIMS type system. It seemed like it would be a lot of extra work, having to use (and clean) the pump and extra hoses. Didn’t think I would get much better efficiency than full volume BIAB. But who knows...? You almost have enough equipment to brew a batch each way and measure to compare...

I use a large 16 gallon pot with a deluxe BIAB bag made by MashedIn.beer. No need for false bottom and better to not use (without recirculating mash). Efficiency Into Boil (EIB) depends upon gravity of the brew normally runs in the low to mid 80s (82 to 84% average). Have had 90% or just over on a couple dry Irish Stouts that finishes around 4% ABV. Had high 70s couple times with very big beers where I maximized the largest possible batch size plus super high OG. If you can get great efficiencies with a less complex system that takes less time to clean - why get extra beer stuff to clean...?

Anyhow, welcome to the site. I look forward to seeing how it goes. Let us know if you have any questions.

Post #8507 made 6 years ago
Thanks Scott,

One of the reasons I got the pump and RIMS, is that I cook with a Sous Vide setup, but run out of space with y small setup.
I'll be able to re-purpose this 15g kettle/RIMS/pump as a bigger Sous vide cooker when I need to cook more food.

I'm on a well and we don't drink the untreated water for a couple reasons (very very hard). So I soften and then have RO for our drinking water.
I re-mineralize the RO for our drinking water.

I also have a tap off my RO system that is straight RO (no mineralization) that I use for my wine (and now beer) making.

My big challenge now is what water additions to make for this Schwarzbier, I've been playing with every water spreadsheet and Beersmith trying to figure it out.
For my total water volume of around 9 gallons, I'm thinking I'll add 3g Gypsum and 7 Calcium Chloride and 1g Epsom. But I'm really just shooting in the dark with all the different opinions out there.
You'd think that starting with a known RO water, it would be easy to find solid recommendations for the addition amounts!

Here is the EZ-Water text description of my current thinking.
This page can be used for copying and pasting

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 0
Mg: 0
Na: 0
Cl: 0
SO4: 0
HCO3: 0

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 9 / 0
RO or distilled %: 100% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 10.5

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 3 / 0
CaCl2: 7 / 0
MgSO4: 1 / 0
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 76 / 76
Mg: 3 / 3
Na: 0 / 0
Cl: 99 / 99
SO4: 61 / 61
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 1.64 / 1.64

Alkalinity (CaCO3): 0
RA: -56
Estimated pH: 5.46
(room temp)

AJ

Post #8508 made 6 years ago
Interesting🤔🤔🤔

I can’t help you with the water guesstimate. The Brew N Water one is likely good choice, at least by reputation. Haven’t done much of that myself and likely should do more. Plan to with my next pale ale. Very soft water where I live in the Willamette Valley in Western Oregon. Like Pilsn, Czech Republic.

Think you are going to have to go for it. For sure let us know how it goes. Interesting to know.

Post #8510 made 6 years ago
Hey Nick,

Here is a link to the BIABacus file, version 1.3:
https://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869

Also CBT - Clear Brewing Terminology - a very good section because it helps explain the terminology and what everything means. Helps the BIABacus sections to be less confusing:
https://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685

The entire BIAB for newcomer section has lots of good info, and I would recommend to review it. Things about recipes, what is example of high quality recipe, what is a poor quality recipe, etc.:
https://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=5

Let me know what you think and if there are any questions.

Post #8513 made 6 years ago
Greetings to everyone from the Charleston, SC area in the US and looking forward to jumping in the mix of great home brewers. I'm brand new to brewing and sucking up all the amazing information from around the web which led me to here. I stumbled into another site promoting the BIABacus tool which led to this great site.

I have my basic small batch equipment on the way and looking to start the brew pot as soon as possible. Following most advice I have seen across the web, I have a couple of extract kits to get the process down. But I can already tell that even before doing the kits, that BIAB is the way to go. I like the idea of working with the grains and other ingredients more so that opening a jar of extract. Looking forward to the adventure. I've got my seat belt on, and ready to start the ride.

Thanks in advance to all and everyone who contributes to the forums. Information exchange is a wonderful thing.

Palmettoflyer,

Post #8514 made 6 years ago
I hate brewing beer in a bag but only because it has quickly become my crack.......

3 all grain batches since Feb, 2 split batches under my belt. First batch was on a buddy's equipment. The following were BIAB

I use a Keggle and associated keggle lift rig (doubles as a lawn tractor lift)
lift rig.png
And I've already bought cam locks

I have issues, lots of issues but beer isn't one of them.

So, Hi to all and talk to you all soon.

Bart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #8515 made 6 years ago
Welcome gonzo^^ Physics and beer go well together. If time is not very important, 2h for chilling will work fine. Some BIAB brewers do what is called no-chill and just let the hot wort cool to ambient Temp by itself without actively chilling.

Greetings Palmettoflyer - Charleston, South Carolina is beautiful. I’ll be going to a wedding there later this year. Read lots of things on this forum - you can use the search feature near the upper right corner of the page. Do check out the links provided a few posts above this one on this page. They will help a lot.

Hello, Walken100 Bart, it sure looks like you are getting into it. The simplicity of BIAB means you can spend less on equipment and more on ingredients to brew great beer. But there are so many variations on the theme, you will soon be enjoying your own brewing results.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8517 made 6 years ago
Greetings fellow brewers!

I'm really happy to have come across this site while researching BIAB. I actually haven't done a brew since we moved down to Florida 2 years ago.
I'm thinking I'll give a BIAG Saison a go as my first brew down here. I'll continue to poke around the site, but if anyone knows how sparingly I should use the bitter orange peel as an addition in a saison recipe I'd love to hear opinions.

Thanks, and let's keep on brewing.

Mike
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8518 made 6 years ago
Welcome, vk7tpg. That’s a lot of years brewing.The transition to AG will not be difficult for you. Read lots on this forum and ask questions, someone will get back to you.

And Greetings to Mike, mgiedrys. I’’d say that 2 tbsp of fresh orange zest would be plenty if you are brewing 5 gallons. A saison in Florida will be nice in the heat you get there.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8521 made 5 years ago
Hi Everyone!

My name is Ian, I'm a relative new brewer, mainly extract and partial mash, looking to expand into BIAB. During the day, I'm a physician Anesthesiologist (anesthetist for the rest of the world, haha). In my time away from work, I am a Dad, husband, and chronic hobbyist. My hobbies include brewing beer and mead, gardening, hunting, fishing, BBQ, golf, studying history.

I am from the U.S., North Carolina. I found this site via the Homebrewtalk.com forums. I have read about this site in other locations, as well; so I decided to come and learn about BIAB from the originators.

I think this site is exactly what I've been looking for. The knowledge base for brew in a bag is far larger than any other forum I've found, thus far.

Thanks for maintaining a great set of forums!

ISP
    • Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8522 made 5 years ago
Hello ISP,

Welcome to the forum!

There are several forums out there, but I strongly believe biabrewer.info (the one founded by the BIAB pioneers) is the one with the best information, less BS posted and overall much more reliable and trustworthy information.

Equipment:
Have you upgraded your equipment, as of yet...? I had a 5-gallon stainless pot for brewing extract. Would brew with up to 3gallons and then top off fermenter with water. Not near large enough for BIAB whole grain batches. My goal was to have 5-gallon batches of average (5-6% ABV) at the start, and wanted to occasionally brew larger gravity beers too.A 10-gallon pot will just do it...but you will really appreciate (later) a larger pot! I ended up with a 16 gallon stainless steel pot and am so glad that I bought that size! Could actually justify some larger, but this size is very workable. Most often I brew 8-9 gallon batches. Put 5 gallons in my Corney keg, bottle several bottles for gifts and/or competition and put a couple gallons in cleaned and sanitized PTFE milk jugs. So when I have a keg that runs through too quick I can put some “reserve” beer in, carbonate it and be back in business... You may still bottle and not plan to need more than 5 gallons of finished beer...but this gives you the flexibility, and doesn’t cost much extra!

Forum Links:
There are a lot of excellent posts and information on the site. I will post some links for some of it. Others, you just have to look, and will be rewarded with many nuggets of great advice!

BIABACUS File - An Excel file that Pat and others put many thousand hours into developing. Hugely helpful to use with your brew day. Great for planning recipes or copying recipes. Pat just updated the file. I’ve used the previous one for the past few years and it has worked great! viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4059

CBT - Clear Brewing Terminology: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685

BIAB for New Brewers Page: Great info for those interested in BIAB. And if you have questions where you cannot find an answer, feel free to post a new topic. Please be clear as possible, and a clear title, and one of us will be along to assist... viewforum.php?f=5

Let us know if any questions, and for sure how it goes! :luck:
Last edited by Scott on 21 May 2018, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 44 guests