Post #76 made 14 years ago
Greetings Ladies and Gents, I am an expat Brit/Pommie in the Virginian Colony of the Rebellious United State of America (God bless King George RIP).

I have been brewing extract for a year or so with one BIAB and one No-Chill under my belt. Good learning curve to try each separately. I am not really interested in the time, cost and space involved with full, traditional, All grain brewing at this point, but like the idea of having the flexibility of flavo(u)rs that AG can offer.

My US friends and local brew store all write off the BIAB system as "Crazy Aussie" methods, but I like the folks down under and prefer their styles of beer to some of the US offerings. I Managed to find some some voile net curtains at Bed Bath and Beyond and a big canvas laundry bag with draw-cord that seemed even better for big brew. Now I gotta try some serious brew work.

Cheers, Roger

Post #77 made 14 years ago
Good day BIABers.

Looking forward to my first BIAB session tomorrow. Just signed up and going through the archives looking for some final tips on calculating volumes and temperature calculations.

Post #78 made 14 years ago
Hello from Lexington Kentucky USA. I was on the 6th batch using extract when I stumbled on a thread about BIAB. It seemed like an easy way the jump to AG, so I made a small experimental batch on the stove top. The results were as good as or better than any brews to date. I was searching for information on how to increase batch size, when I found this forum. Hopefully I'll find good information here because there's very little info./interest in the states.

Cheers,

TNT

Post #79 made 14 years ago
G'Day All, my first post on BIAB.

I did my first BIAB session a few weeks ago using an APA recipe, miscalculated the amount of water (too much) so I have a lot to learn.

Looking forward to having another go in a few weeks.

Best Regards,
Dave

Post #80 made 14 years ago
I'm from Medford, NJ in the USA
I googled BIAB. I'm trying to collect info on the process.
It's tough to say about the site so far. As a newly registered user, I don't have access to much of what I was looking for.
I've been brewing for about a year now. I am an extract brewer and I use a propane burner in my driveway.
I am finishing up my Masters program to become certified to become an elementary and middle school teacher.

Post #81 made 14 years ago
Hello everyone, I am in La Perouse in Sydney, originally from the UK.

I found this site via AHB.

I have been homebrewing since around 1993/4 mostly with kits. When I moved to Oz 5 years ago I got seriously back in to the hobby and started looking for a good way to go all grain that wasn't too expensive or that needed too large a jump in ability. Lo and behold I discovered BIAB. I have now done 3 great brews and one total disaster using this technique - disaster all my own fault; I now own a wire guard to keep the bag off the bottom of the kettle.

Post #82 made 14 years ago
[center]Administration Note[/center]

[center]Why is my name still blue?[/center]

The majority of first posts here are approved within a few hours so some of you may be wondering why your name is still blue. Unfortunately, your name will not change from blue to green until you log in. So, make sure you log in to check your registration status.

At the moment we can't seem to find a way around this little glitch.

Welcome to all the latest arrivals :),
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 08 Jun 2010, 18:49, edited 17 times in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #83 made 14 years ago
Hey, Neets here
Been biabin' for a couple years now - learned about it on the Brewing Network Forums. Did some extract brewing in high school, then got into AG later via BIAB.
I'm in Toronto, although I spent a little time down under - Moreland in Melbourne for the longest period.

Post #85 made 14 years ago
Hi everyone,

My name is Nate and I hail from Northern Virginia. Found this site as I was looking for instruction on making my first grain bag for BIAB. I've been an extract brewer for a long time, and recently doing mini-mashes. Wanting to step up my game but limited by space. To me this seems like the perfect option. Will be making my bag this weekend and hopefully brewing the weekend after.

Cheers,
Nate

Post #87 made 14 years ago
1. Where are you from?
2. How did you stumble across the site?
3. What you think of it so far?
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household?
1. I live in Texas.

2. Someone from another brew forum linked me as I unleashed a torrent of nooby BIAB questions.

3. Pretty fantastic. I had been finding some hit and miss BIAB info before, but the guides here so far are great. I just wish there were more BIAB toned recipes already here.

4. I have brewed a couple Partial Mashes before, and am interested in trying BIAB just to see if All-Grain is really worth all of the hubbbub I hear.

5. I work 40 hours a week and go to College as well.
Last edited by iijakii on 16 Jun 2010, 09:38, edited 17 times in total.

Post #88 made 14 years ago
Hi
Max here in cold damp South island, New Zealand. Thought winter would be an excellent time to improve (can't get worse) my beer.
The site has TOO much information, I'not sure where to start.
I've been trying to brew Extract beer (brewcraft) might as well brink it straight out of the can for the improvements I get.
So all up from here.

Post #89 made 14 years ago
I'm Curt from La Crosse, WI. I've been brewing for a year and a half and have brewed OK beers with extracts. This forum has given me more information and encouragement. I've joined the local brew club. Tonite I made my first all grain and, as someone suggested, I even took pictures. Thanks for this great post.

Post #90 made 14 years ago
Hi all
Brian, from cork in ireland. Been brewing about 3 years ..kits-> tweaking kits -> extract -> BIAB.
Ive doen only 2 biabs so far as ive not been brewing much as i was getting married/building a house/having kids more or less all at once. i biab in a 5 gal electrim boiler so not large batches...

Post #91 made 14 years ago
Evening all,

1. Where are you from?

I live on Lake Macquarie NSW.

2. How did you stumble across the site?

Made a few posts in aussiehomebrewer.com and found this forum. Since I will be doing BIAB, thought this may be the place to be! :)

3. What you think of it so far?

Just put down my first BIAB yesterday! Hoping this site will help me along, as I have a load of questions!

4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?

Have brewed K&K and fresh wort kits for some time. Made the decision that I was sick of making crap beer and would not make any more until I went all grain. So here I am after about 6months break from brewing.

5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household?

Yep. Currently work for a large telco as a UNIX sys admin.

Cheers,

Brad
Last edited by brad on 20 Jun 2010, 17:26, edited 17 times in total.

Post #92 made 14 years ago
[center]Administration Notice
This thread is now completely open...
[/center]

Thanks to some technological improvements Fully Registered Members can now use this thread rather than the now closed, Welcome to the Guild thread, to correspond with new Fully Registered Members.

Members of any category are also able for now to treat this thread as the, "I Need Help," button for now.

Cheers,
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 22 Jun 2010, 00:50, edited 17 times in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #93 made 14 years ago
Hey, I'm from around the Portland, OR area. I do 7 gallon AG BIAB ales. I've started doing a lot of Cascadian Dark Ales lately. During the week, I work in IT.
"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty"

Post #94 made 14 years ago
mrgstiffler,

Whats all the hubbub about Cascadian Dark Ales? I hear they are trying to make it a new catagory in BJCP?
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #96 made 14 years ago
Hi all, my name is Ross, I live in Brisbane. Brewed basic kits on and off for several years, looking at going to the next level, BIAB seems like the logical step. Site looks great and I feel confident for my first BIAB.

Post #97 made 14 years ago
BobBrews wrote:mrgstiffler,

Whats all the hubbub about Cascadian Dark Ales? I hear they are trying to make it a new catagory in BJCP?
CDAs are pretty popular where I'm from. Deschutes, Widmer and Stone all have great examples out. Take an IPA and add some dark roasted malts to it. The trick is getting the balance just right and not having them clash. I just brewed my third recipe yesterday. I've had 7 commercially brewed CDAs and have loved each one. There's an article about it in the latest BYO Magazine.
Last edited by mrgstiffler on 24 Jun 2010, 10:33, edited 17 times in total.

Post #98 made 14 years ago
mrgstiffler wrote:
CDAs are pretty popular where I'm from. Deschutes, Widmer and Stone all have great examples out. Take an IPA and add some dark roasted malts to it. The trick is getting the balance just right and not having them clash. I just brewed my third recipe yesterday. I've had 7 commercially brewed CDAs and have loved each one. There's an article about it in the latest BYO Magazine.
Welcome along mrgstiffler, so have I read that right? CDA's are black IPA's? If so I have my first in a keg that will be ready in ~3 weeks. I sure hope it's as nice from the keg as it was from the fermenter.
Last edited by hashie on 24 Jun 2010, 12:14, edited 17 times in total.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #99 made 14 years ago
hashie wrote: Welcome along mrgstiffler, so have I read that right? CDA's are black IPA's? If so I have my first in a keg that will be ready in ~3 weeks. I sure hope it's as nice from the keg as it was from the fermenter.
Yes, CDA is basically a Black IPA. An excellent style that's become my favorite. I hope you dry hopped it heavily :)
Last edited by mrgstiffler on 24 Jun 2010, 14:19, edited 17 times in total.

Post #100 made 14 years ago
Timos: Congratulations Timor on finding your way here. It's great to see that BIAB is going well in Israel - you also have another Israeli mate here, "shibolet."

radearling: Welcome aboard mate. Living in Brisbane, Australia means you are eligible to attend the infamous QLD Xmas Swap. Make sure you go :).
Last edited by PistolPatch on 24 Jun 2010, 21:05, edited 16 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests