Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8653 made 5 years ago
Greetings, Coopermanbeith - An excellent choice of activity for us retirees, brewing beer via BIAB. :party:

Take a look around the forum, read things about kettle size and bag thread count, 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil, crush size for the grist and sanitizing. After that, you can ask questions regarding equipment purchases and the BIABacus spreadsheet and you will be on your way. There is a lot of stuff to do, but it is well worth it because you end up with beer. :drink:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8656 made 5 years ago
Hello,

I have ordered brand new gear to start brewing.

Also ordered all the ingredients for my first brew, the amarillo apa.

Now I was wondering if it possible to add some extra taste to it, "tangarine/grapefruit/lemon"
Had someone experienced with it and wich is the best to flavour with the hops?
How much to add at the end of the boil for a 23l bath?

The reason is because at the moment I'm traveling through new zealand and love a particular APA called " MOA big sky APA" and love the flavours, so maybe I could try it in the amarillo apa?
Any thoughts about this?

Thanks

Post #8657 made 5 years ago
If you love the beer, can find out what sort of flavor hops are used and purchase some... Always can change hops. There are many good ones.

The BIABacus file that @ShorePoints recommended to you is really a phenomenal tool to help you with brewing and figuring out exactly how much to use, etc.

If questions on it, feel free to start a new post in the beginners section. Fill out and figure out what you can and we can help fill in around the edges...remaining questions, etc.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8658 made 5 years ago
Hey all, I'm a brand new brewer. Been into craft beer and ales for a couple years now, and my fiancee has got me a BIAB starter kit (after much deliberation as to what kind of home brew kit I should get) for xmas.

1. Where are you from?
Scotland

2. How did you stumble across the site?
Seen a few people recommending the Abacus for BIAB, and I want to do full volume instead of any sparge, so the I was pointed in this direction to help me there

3. What you think of it so far?
Hoping it's going to be a good resource!

4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
Never, not even no boil kits.

5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household?
Working full time in IT
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8659 made 5 years ago
Welcome to the forum mehall. Thanks for answering the introduction questions as it will help us figure out where you are starting.

Read lots. Think about how your equipment and set-up location will function throughout the process on brew day. Picture how you will use tools and space - lift the bag of wet grains and let it drip into the kettle and/or put it somewhere safe to catch the drips and add them back to the kettle to boil. Things that get boiled should be clean at the start and anything that touches your wort after flame out should be sanitized. Ask questions and you will get answers.

Happy Brewing! :salute:

Post #8660 made 5 years ago
Greetings all from Los Angeles, California in the USA! I am excited to start homebrewing and have been researching the process and methods for a couple of months now. I am 47 years old and the father of two boys whose antics have encouraged my love for beer. The Los Angeles area is finally seeing a craft beer explosion, and my wife and I are enjoying it as much as we can. After purchasing a kegerator for the home, I decided I wanted to start brewing after getting to know as many of the craft brewery proprietors as I could.

Having the kegerator, my goal is to brew 5 gallon batches and convert the lines to ball lock fittings to enjoy my brews at home. However, as I also enjoy fiddling with cooking recipes, I will probably do the same with brewing recipes as well. Thus, I will likely start with 1-3 gallon batches to get my techniques down and learn grain, hop and yeast characteristics better. This means not starting with extract and going to all-grain mashing from the start.

Among the videos I watch, many have shown that the BIAB method is by far the easiest way to make your wort. I found this site through the BIAB reviews on Brulosophy, whose site i has been extremely helpful. I want to get brewing as soon as possible, which my wife tells me will be after we tame the credit card debt we incurred over the holidays. I look forward to reading your experiences and learning from you on this site.
    • SVA Brewer From United States of America

Post #8661 made 5 years ago
Hello @Steve Kaplan !

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum!

If you like beer and like to drink beer, I would recommend skipping the mini-batches and go with at least 5-gallon batches. If you like beer - 5 gallons goes pretty quick. Do you have some styles that you know that you like? Usually there are some main “go to’s” for people... Get a good recipe book. I would recommend Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Z and John Palmer (aka “the BCS book, at least on this forum ;) ). Lots of great recipes there, and we know how to tweak them for BIAB using our BIABacus file. Once you get used to brewing them it is easy to tweak the recipes to your liking, but you will find standard recipes to be very solid.

For sure explore this forum and all the different questions and answers... Equipment would likely be a next question... If you can’t find answers to any of your questions feel free to post a clear question on the beginner forum and one of us will be along to help.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8662 made 5 years ago
Hello all hoping everybody has had a good Xmas and looking forward to seeing in the new year. I am from Newcastle in the sunny northeast of England I have done a few kit beers more then five 8 or so I think, Al though I really enjoy the process of making my beers I always feel as though there is a twang or strange taste to the beers which I make. It is not an unpleasantness but defiantly think ots be cause it's a kit rather then all grain style of brewing. That's why I'm thinking of moving to.small batch stove top brew in the bag. I came across your site whilast on jims beer kit. If any one can give me some advice on what size and we're to buy a stock pot from and grain bag it would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8663 made 5 years ago
Welcome aboard @Jkroland,

We can get kettle size etc sorted in two seconds* but before that, you mentioned, "twang."

"Twang," caused me to stop brewing many times in the past and I was about to give up again about 12 years ago until someone sent me a PM explaining my problem was "extract twang." It was an amazing PM (private message) for many reasons. I won't go into those here. In this post I think that all is needed is to say that "Extract twang," is a real thing and you will not get it in all-grain.

There is a brewery near me that brews with extract. The beers they brew are exquisite. But, they are getting their extract fresh all the time. Two other extract beers I've had were amongst the best beers I have ever had. I'll describe one... this beer was a supremely beautiful lager. A lager, and I've written on this before, can be hugely astonishing. It sounds weird that a lager could blow your palate apart as much as an IPA but, it can.

It gets more entertaining though. This perfect lager (and, I'm telling you it was the perfect lager) was not only fermented at summer temperatures (in Perth, that means about 35°C), this lager actually came from a can/kit that said IPA!

Hope you didn't mind the yarn above kroland. What you actually asked (the kettle size stuff and grain bag) is really important though and I'd advise posting a new thread on that question.

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8664 made 5 years ago
Good Evening Everyone!

I’m a middle-aged expat from US currently working in China (Chengdu). Just started brewing and started with all grain in a bag. I’ve watched several videos and ready several articles. I’m doing the micro-batch right now ~ 1-gallon because of limitied space amongst other things. I’ve missed the mark on the first 2 batches — too low OG. The first one tastes fine just low % alc and not much body. Second one similar issue.

I really don’t have a lot fo time for hobbies, but since it’s winter here, I figiure it’d be fun. When I get back states-side n another year or so, I’ll ramp up to bigger batch sizes.

Anyways I look forward to learning more here and trying it again.

I found this site from a link from another website... not sure which one it was though... maybe Brulosophy.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8666 made 5 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:
5 years ago
Welcome aboard @Jkroland,

We can get kettle size etc sorted in two seconds* but before that, you mentioned, "twang."

"Twang," caused me to stop brewing many times in the past and I was about to give up again about 12 years ago until someone sent me a PM explaining my problem was "extract twang." It was an amazing PM (private message) for many reasons. I won't go into those here. In this post I think that all is needed is to say that "Extract twang," is a real thing and you will not get it in all-grain.

There is a brewery near me that brews with extract. The beers they brew are exquisite. But, they are getting their extract fresh all the time. Two other extract beers I've had were amongst the best beers I have ever had. I'll describe one... this beer was a supremely beautiful lager. A lager, and I've written on this before, can be hugely astonishing. It sounds weird that a lager could blow your palate apart as much as an IPA but, it can.

It gets more entertaining though. This perfect lager (and, I'm telling you it was the perfect lager) was not only fermented at summer temperatures (in Perth, that means about 35°C), this lager actually came from a can/kit that said IPA!

Hope you didn't mind the yarn above kroland. What you actually asked (the kettle size stuff and grain bag) is really important though and I'd advise posting a new thread on that question.

:peace:
PP
Thank you for the welcome , it is good to hear I'm not the only person who has had the twang problem but least it has givin me a push in the right direction and givin me an excuse to get my finger out and try something new. All the best for new year to all .
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8667 made 5 years ago
Hello everyone!

My name is Ian and I am pleased to have found this forum! I am a 30 years old French Canadian based in Montreal, Quebec and I am a new homebrewer (just finished my 4th 1-gallon BIAB). I brew on my stovetop in my free time when I am not taking care of my girlfriend and my 2 years old baby boy.

I found your website by reading about BIABacus and people writing amazing comments about it.

I navigated through the site and found plenty of useful information that I will use in the future.

I've been working in the automotive industry for ten years now!

If you are unsure of what to write for your first post, perhaps let us know a few or all of the following things - as much as you are comfortable with but also enough so that we are sure of your good intentions...

I look forward to using all this content!

Cheers,

Ian

Post #8668 made 5 years ago
Welcome icbrousseau! :thumbs:
Nice to see another fellow Canadian on board. Glad to see you have been able to find some useful information. If you need any help or have questions make sure to post them up and we'll get you some answers.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #8671 made 5 years ago
Hello all,

I am from Munich, Germany and I am new to home brewing. I brewed two times so far with a Speidel Braumeister 20 at a friends house. Since I already had all the fermenting equipment I decided to order the remaining accessories to start biab at my house.
I came across this site in search for a tool to create biab recipes. Great find and congratulations to the founders. This site is amazing. I will ensure to use the commentary pdf to avoid any beginners mistakes.

Cheers and happy brewing,

maze
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Germany

Post #8672 made 5 years ago
Greetings, maze42.
Welcome to the forum. Reading the information on this site can be a lot of work but start with Clear Brewing Terminology and ask questions if you have some. I have found that reading recipes helps me decide what to brew next. Then employ the latest version of the BIABacus to adapt to your equipment. I recommend 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil times.
Happy Brewing. :drink:

Post #8674 made 5 years ago
Thanks for the welcome and the tips,
I already learned a lot browsing the forum, but I have an issue with subscribing to certain recommended forums, the button to subscribe is just not visible as in other forums or topics, maybe a permissions issue?
21344461-5CD8-4F55-841A-71C341E2CFB1.jpeg
Thanks,

maze
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Germany

Post #8675 made 5 years ago
Welcome, Dufflebum.
Cowboy or Boomer Sooner? (that's a peculiar Oklahoma thing).

If just starting out gathering your brewing equipment, choose a kettle that will still work for you next year. That is, a 10 gallon (~30 Liter) stainless kettle with or without a thick bottom can be used to brew most 5 gallon (~20 Liter) batches and smaller batches, too. A 5 gallon kettle now might mean that you will have to buy a 10 gallon kettle soon because you want to scale up on those scarce weekends where you can have a brew day. Read posts on this forum about whether you want a valve on your kettle or just siphon the wort from a pot without one. The bag - get the right thread count - has to fit the kettle so choose both at the same time. I got kicked outdoors due to the aromas that come from brewing in the kitchen so be flexible about where you can set up everything. Go slowly on accumulating fancy equipment. Figure out how you will sanitize everything that touches wort and beer and be vigilant. I do not mean to scare you away from BIAB AG brewing, but I hope to encourage you to make good choices.

:salute:

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 38 guests