My First Post!

Post #8301 made 6 years ago
Hi everyone!
My name is Staffan and I am a “brewer” from Sweden.
I have looked at this site earlier but an episode in a pod “Basic Brewing” where they talked about the spreadsheet for BIAB calculation woke my interest again.
I haven’t looked around so much yet so It’s hard to have an opinion.
I have brewed 15 all-grain batches in two years with the BIAB method.
Last edited by naffats on 22 Sep 2017, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Sweden

Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8303 made 6 years ago
Hi Everyone,

1. Where are you from?
Hobart, Australia.

2. How did you stumble across the site?
Google and http://brulosophy.com

3. What you think of it so far?
The site looks very good so far. Interesting to dig into some research around kettle sizes and equipment reviews before starting BIAB.

4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
Brewed extracts and partial mashes on and off for a number of years. Looking to make the step to AG and BIAB looks to be the best value for money and time on brew day.

5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household?
Work in property related field.

Post #8304 made 6 years ago
Welcome ijoshia,

Investigate the site and feel free to start new post to ask questions if you can't find the answer. For sure I would recommend in going larger than you plan on kettle size. It gives more flexibility in batch size and gravity of beer. A new post asking for comments on this site would likely get you some high quality answers. But make sure to let us know some things about you like how large of batches do you plan to brew? Do you want ability to go larger on occasion? Sometimes you don't know at the start... Brew outside, or does it have to be inside? Have ability to attach a hook over your brew kettle for pulley or method to pull bag? Let us know - as much detail as posssible - and we will try to help.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8306 made 6 years ago
Cheers from Stokes County, North Carolina fellow brew mates,

I stumbled on this site some time ago researching about BIAB and registered but haven't got around to my first post till today.

I am officially ready to dive into BIAB and will be doing an all-grain 10 gallon batch within the next few days and feel this site will have all the BIAB info I will ever need. Nice to have a one-stop go to site.

I have brewed around 20+ 5 gallon batches of extract and partial extract for a little over a year so far with great results and I love, love, love, my new hobby of home brewing. The misses got me 20 gallon Blinchmann Boilermaker for my last birthday and I'm good to go.

I work the weekend shift as a registered psychiatric nurse and have plenty of time off during the week to brew. I hope to retire in about 3 years or so and hopefully enjoy my hobby even more. The misses is from Tasmania and I have had the pleasure of visiting Australia several times. It became harder to leave every time, let me tell ya.

Anyway, let the BIAB adventure begin,

Cheers mates
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8307 made 6 years ago
Welcome, possum 55. You are really going into all grain in a big way with a 20 gallon kettle.
Do try the BIABacus with your new kettle dimensions. I trust that you have a bag that fits your kettle with the best thread count, and that you can lift it when full of wet grains. Read lots of things on this forum and post your BIABacus file for input before you fire it up.
I would stress that the best practice advice here is 90 minute mash/90 minute boil.
Good luck and I hope to hear how things go - you have some great beers in North Carolina! :drink: (I visited Asheville a while back.)
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8308 made 6 years ago
Thanks ShorePoints,

Yeah I think Ashville is trying to be the craft brew capital of the east coast or something. LOL
I have got a bag and a stainless strainer basket. Both are plenty big enough. In addition, I purchased a used electric patient lift off Craiglist that I will use to lift the basket to drain. It has a 450 LB. capacity. I've been getting ready for this for awhile now and I like doing my homework when it comes to homebrewing. My next goal is to build a fermentation chamber out of a chest freezer.

I wanted to use the calculator but everything is in metric unless I'm missing something, which is highly possible.

Cheers
Last edited by possum55 on 28 Sep 2017, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8309 made 6 years ago
Possum55 - a patient lift crane? I bet that's a first among methods to lift a wet grain bag. Engine hoists, ladders and scaffolds, tall tripods, overhead beams/ceilings maybe, but I had not heard of using a patient lift! :salute:
In the latest version of the BIABacus there is a tab along the bottom of the spreadsheet for conversions back & forth between English and metric units. If you keep notes on paper for your batch, that can help you use it seamlessly. It is worth it. :peace:

Post #8310 made 6 years ago
Possum55 - once I started using the Biabacus I realized how cumbersome the English measurement method is. Up until recently I was still measuring the total water needed in gallons, but I've started just measuring the head space in the kettle (in inches - I don't have a metric ruler). Anyway, give it some time, you may find converting from metric to English is more of a pain than just brewing in metric (everything is divisible by 10- what a concept).
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8311 made 6 years ago
Hey BIABrewers!
I am Peter a Hungarian living in Madrid and working with audiovisuals for events, in my spare time I am playing the bass and hopefully soon making my own beer.
After a loooong period of thinking on start to making my own beer a week ago I brew my first one from a kit, Bulldog´s Raja´s Reward IPA. It is fermenting now, seems all ok but to tell the truth this method seems a bit boring to me, I´m not feeling that I am elaborating a beer, more like I am baking a fast frozen pizza. I am sure that result shoud be enjoyable, but c´mon, I is just not the same. But I guess I don´t have to explain this here.
I heard about the BIAB process and I was googleing around when I found this page, and was amazed by all the good stuff and guidance that one can find here. As no experience at all I really need all the info I can find about almost anything, and this place seems to be a goldmine of information with helpful members.
Cheers!

Post #8312 made 6 years ago
Cheers sr.arbuso,

And welcome to the forum...! Extracts and kits can be a good way to learn the process. Once you decide you enjoy it - stepping in a little deeper is super fun. Whole grain is more forgiving and gives max ability to brew different beers (normally better beer), and BIAB is the easiest way to brew with whole grain.

Feel fee to start new threads (use the beginner section) to ask advice, equipment, etc. if you can't find it clearly listed. And again - welcome to the forum! :thumbs:

Post #8314 made 6 years ago
Hello all
My name is Steve I am a homebrewer from England i have several extract brews under my belt with good results and a partial mash kit from mangrove jacks.i am now ready to ditch the kit brewing and go all grain biab the reason I have chosen biab is the simplicity of it and the cost of start up.
I have an electric keggle ready to go fitted with a 3kw element and tap.i have not got a bag yet but my 10 year old daughter is a hobby sewer that would love to make her dad a bag for brewing.
I like to drink IPA style beers Belgian Trappist beers which are in good supply here in U.K.
I am hoping that this forum can help me in my quest to produce some beer as good as I can get at my local micro pub.

Post #8315 made 6 years ago
Allow me to introduce myself. I am in the UK (London suburbs) and am returning to brewing after a 40-year lay-off.
Back in the 1970s I used to brew part-grain/part-extract but the quality of the ingredients and equipment was awful, so I stopped.
I am now about to start again and have decided to take the BIAB route. I was thrilled to discover this forum and the excellent definition and video which described what the “full” BIAB is supposed to be about. (The term BIAB is thrown around by people who I now realise are talking about a “modified” or “partial” BIAB). So thanks for the clarification.
Anyway I am about to start again, but the only problem holding me back right now is deciding on the appropriate size of brew kettle (no garage and everything done in the kitchen).
Regards
Bob Greaves

Post #8316 made 6 years ago
St Beer, Fat Watts, and BobGreaves,

Welcome to the forum! All three of you are Brits... ;) My son is visiting the UK right now.

Bob - On kettle size I would recommend as large as possible... Certainly limits ability having to use a small pot. Outside would be best, to go with a gas burner and a larger pot... But we deal with what we have to.

Lots of information available on this site. Let us know what questions you have, and we will do our best to help. :thumbs: :salute: :luck:
Last edited by Scott on 03 Oct 2017, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8317 made 6 years ago
1. Where are you from?
London

2. How did you stumble across the site?
Googling for BIAB info.

3. What you think of it so far?
Wish I'd found it before I bought a 30L kettle (will maxi, though).

4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
Nope! First brew (from an extract kit) tomorrow. Then need to pick up another FV as plan to do our first AG kit the week after. Getting to mess with recipes in AG is a large part of the attraction for me, hence rushing for the deep end.

5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household?
Work in IT.

Post #8318 made 6 years ago
Hello bluekieran,

Welcome to the forum!

On the choosing a too small pot...yeah, I hear you. Wish you had asked before too. It's a great frustration of mine, and one I almost fell for myself. "By the Grace of God..." I ended up with a larger pot, 16 US gallons instead of 10. Long story that wound up being a goood one. You can always cut your losses and get a larger one with new bag... And maybe sooner is better than later. Sell your new pot to someone else that can use it. :scratch: Take a small loss now, and be better off later. :drink: That's what I would do. With where I'm at now...

Anyhow, welcome again and let us know if we can help.
Last edited by Scott on 07 Oct 2017, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8319 made 6 years ago
Fret not if you already have your kettle.
You can still make beer with whatever the scale limitations may be. Indoor Brewers (stovetop) may not have enough space above a taller kettle to lift the bag. Even with a great stove hood (exhaust fan), the evaporation from a larger batch in a big kettle can make a damp kitchen.
For other brewing locations where kettle size can be bigger, Scott makes a good point. Try to match your batch scale, frequency of brewing and consumption rate. It might take a whole year to figure it out. :peace:
However, my 38 liter (10 gallon) kettle leads to ~20 L (5 gallon) VIP with OG up to 1.060 without adding sugars outside the bag. If I wanted to make a strong beer (with OG ~ 1.080), I'd use the BIABacus to make a smaller batch that fits my kettle. My local home brew club has backed off from the 8% ABV beers and 14% ABV barleywines because we have to drive home. There are three guys who went in together on larger kit so that they could make big (3V) batches of big beer and divide the results; when I saw how they brew I was glad to have what I have.

Post #8323 made 6 years ago
Welcome, Robert!
You have come to the right place for learning to brew in a simpler fashion. Keep researching and you will find that with BIAB you can spend less money; have less equipment to handle and clean; store it in less space; have shorter brew days and still make great beer.
Look back a few posts on this page for kettle size advice and then decide.
Good luck :luck:

Post #8324 made 6 years ago
Hey guys great site. My Name's Jonny from Hampton NB Canada and I've been brewing for about 15 years now. At the moment I have four little ones at home time and space are definately at a premium, so I've been looking at ways to strip down my setup and methodology so I can brew more often. I've done some batch sparge and no sparge brews with good results and the simplicity of BIAB is extremely appealing. I brew mainly lagers and Belgians, with some cask ale thrown into the mix in Winter. Looking forward to picking the brains of some of the more experienced members!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #8325 made 6 years ago
I think this is my first post -- but I may have posted in this thread before.

Name: Roger
From Minnesota, USA.
I've brewed about 5-6 extract kits.
I'm almost finished building an electric BIAB system run by Craftbeerpi. Still in the testing phases and I have to put the heat element in yet.

Just a test to see if the pump works (obviously not the hose I'll be using - this is only a test)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwyz4pv6ui2m7 ... 2.mp4?dl=0

I like ales and stouts. Buffalo Sweat by Tallgrass Brewing is one of my favorites and I've brewed a couple of their extract kits from NB, but added Anise stars to each batch.

Some of this math for BIAB seems foggy yet, and the spreadsheet calculators seem a bit intimidating, but I'm looking forward to switching to BIAB.
Electric BIAB brewer. Homemade CraftbeerPi controller.
25gal kettle. 15gal Plastic Conical Fermenter with temp control
Having fun.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 78 guests