Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8602 made 5 years ago
Howdy!

I'm an American expat in Japan. I came across biabrewer when I was looking for a good water calculation for my first BIAB attempt.

Seems like a nice place. Will take some getting used to, bit I'm sure there's lots of information here, and you seem take your community seriously.

I've done quite a few ciders, and have my first extract brew fermenting away at the moment, but it kinda feels like cheating. I've got a sous vide setup in my kitchen, and am looking forward to making some decent beer with it. I've also got a 20kg sack of crushed pilsner malt on the way, waiting for it to show up so I can take my first shot at BIAB.

Middle-aged male, employed full-time.

Thanks in advance for your patience!
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Japan

Post #8603 made 5 years ago
Welcome to the site Expat.

The BIABacus is especially helpful when doing a BIAB batch of beer. You will run into terminology that may be confusing so also will want to review the terminology explanation thread. Both of these, along with some other great info is in the BIAB for new brewers section.

Let us know if you have any questions!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8604 made 5 years ago
40ish Irish ex-pat living in Newcastle, Australia
Been brewing for about 12 years although only all-grain and BIAB for the last 4
Came across the site recently while looking for a pattern/instructions to make a larger BIAB, remembered the interview on Beersmith Podcast Episode 10 so decided to signup.

I got more than half way through a build of a Braumeister Clone a few years back but my contact in the Stainless welding-world fell through, I recently saw a presentation om eBIAB and figured that I could leverage the parts and Controller I've already got to make an automated eBIAB setup.
Looking forward to reading the Threads on eBIAB and automatic setups
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Ireland

Post #8606 made 5 years ago
Welcome, Brendancavan and Clayton.

Brendancavan - There are lots of folks who set up automated eBIAB systems. You may even find some on this forum who have modified hybrids like yours. Have a look around in the eBIAB threads and ask questions.

Clayton - Yes, a 35 L kettle can make ~ 23 L of wort going into the fermenter (VIF). It can make 23 L of finished beer as long as you are not trying to make really big beers of OG greater than 1.080 without using extra effort. My 30 L kettle allows me to get about 20 L of finished beer (VIP) with ABV above 6%, so you should be fine.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8608 made 5 years ago
Hello!
I've been brewing extract kits for a few years now and have been eyeing the BIAB method for quite some time. I live in central Florida, though I'm a native New Englander.
I recently acquired a chest freezer to use as a ferm chamber which due to my local climate was a necessary first step to any steps toward improving my brews.
So now I endeavor to start mini BIAB with my 5 gallon kettle and a new propane burner hoping to eventually acquire a kettle large enough for ~5 gallons bottled.
I stumbled upon the site when the BIABacus (bagacus or Bacchus not sure which allusion or is it double entendre?) appeared in my search for calculators for converting all grain recipes to 3 gallon BIAB. I've participated in forums before and they can get messy so I really appreciate the efforts taken to keep this site as a primary source of knowledge and information. I'm excited to have found you, thanks for having me!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8609 made 5 years ago
Welcome to the forum, Dreadpiratewes,

Let us know what questions you have, moving forward. Best time to ask the question is before you buy your setup, so sounds like you are good there. Is the goal to stay with mini-BIAB or just interim step until you get set up like you want?

I have a 16-gallon stainless steel brew kettle. With mashing and boiling for 90-minutes each, depending on the planned OG of the beer, I can brew 7 to about 9.5 gallon batches... Usually I’m over 8 gallons VIP, Volume Into Packaging with the brew styles normally brewed by me. Helpful to know what you like to brew as that can influence equipment choices too.

Let us know if questions. I would put it out as a new post in the beginner section.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8611 made 5 years ago
Thanks Scott,
My goal is to eventually increase my capacity to 5 gallons VIP which is roughly where I've been with BME brewing. This will work well with my carboys and buckets etc. It may also be worth noting I intend to continue bottling with no intention of kegging in the foreseeable future. The mini BIAB in the meantime seems like a good opportunity for me hone my mashing and brewing technique more quickly than I would with larger batches.

Cheers!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8612 made 5 years ago
Hi Guys
Great site. Super info and fascinating technique. I am based in the north of England.

I came to the site via a circuitous route. I started by looking out my window at a crop of apples in my small garden and vowing not to allow them to go to waste. I decided cider was the way to go. I bought a few basics and then started researching recipes. I came across a project to build a brew fridge based upon a raspberry pi mini computer. As it happened I had an old fridge and a raspberry pi and so decided to build it a no-cost project. Hats off to the guys that invented and documented BrewPi its awesome.
My first cider is in the fridge just completing fermentation before cold crash and conditioning. Still loads of free apples on the trees around where I live so probably another batch of cider will be next.
Continuing to research brewing since I now have some basic kit, I came across extract brewing and then BIAB . Since I have the brew fridge I want to try to make a proper all grain lager eventually but i think a first step would be the Amarillo APA documented on this site. Unless and until I get hooked on this hobby I want to keep costs low.
I have read around the forum quite a bit and it seems that for the cost of a 27 or 30 litre tea urn (electric water boiler) i could get the capability to make a 20 litre ish Volume into fermenter of decent beer by the Maxi Biab method. Currently bidding on an urn for £10 (GBP). I know and understand that a bigger kettle would be better and easier but like many guys keeping my hobbies low cost and in the garage I keep them off my other half's radar.
I am looking forward to giving this a go and would be very happy to receive a bit of help and guidance.

Post #8615 made 5 years ago
G'day, I'm from Western Australia and have been kits and bits brewing on and off for approx 10 years.
I've recently started all grain BIAB with my shiny new Crown urn and have successfully brewed 6 batches to date. I've found this site whilst researching methods for an upcoming pilsner which I'm yet to attempt.
I'm working towards supplying my forthcoming small wedding reception with a few kegs (choice of APA & Pilsner) so I'm trialling recipes before increasing production.
I currently bottle but have just ordered a 5L keg/dispenser to start mucking around with before moving into primarily kegging over the summer.

I work overseas and offshore in oil and gas inspection; inconsistent rosters are an added challenge to homebrewing but I'm helped by an able assistant at home.

Cheers.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #8618 made 5 years ago
Hey im capcap from Brisbane, Australia and I stumbled across this site searching for biab info.

There is tons of useful info on this site that has helped me get through my first biab brew.

Currently onto my 5th brew, I have a coopers kit, 2 x 19L pots and 1 x 7L pot. I also have a chest freezer and have just bought a 2nd fermenter so I can do 2 batches at the same time :)

Looking forward to gaining more knowledge and perfecting my brewing process,

Cheers :D
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Australia

Post #8624 made 5 years ago
Shout out from Austin TX. I have been homebrewing for around 5yrs or so and probably have 25+ batches under my belt. I started out with partial mashes and have recently moved to the BIAB method. I have a brand new kettle that is presenting some challenges for me. I discovered this site in doing some online research. I am looking forward to connecting with other BIAB brewers!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8625 made 5 years ago
Welcome kXb and gwalker43.

Ttry the BIABacus spreadsheet. http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869
and read Clear Brewing Terminology http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685

On the page where you can get the BIABacus there are files filled in with info to make an All Amarillo Pale Ale to serve as an example (plus, it makes a good beer). Near the bottom of the top post (inside the red border on my screen) is a link to a blank spreadsheet so you can save it as such - always with the .xls filename extension. I suggest entering at least your own kettle dimensions in the topmost part before saving it so you have that as your default.

Granted, the BIABacus spreadsheet takes some time to figure out but it is worth it.

Read lots and ask questions.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 49 guests